Forum Home Forum Home > Reloading > Reloading .303 British
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Almost ready to start...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Almost ready to start...
    Posted: May 21 2020 at 8:36am
I have all the tools, brass, bullets, powder and primers. All that is left is to build a bench and mount the press. I plan to do that over this long weekend. Since I am going by the Hornady book load data I am using Winchester primers, Frontier cases and the Hornady 174 gr round nose soft points for the first batch. For powder I got a pound each of IMR 4064 and Accurate 2520. The first rifle to try out my rounds will be my 1917 BSA Mk III*. It's known to be pretty accurate with surplus and various factory ammo so I figured it would be a good rifle to start with since I already know it's shooting potential. This has been a heck of a learning experience with a lot more learning to come.
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2020 at 10:22am
Originally posted by Bear43 Bear43 wrote:

I have all the tools, brass, bullets, powder and primers. All that is left is to build a bench and mount the press. I plan to do that over this long weekend. Since I am going by the Hornady book load data I am using Winchester primers, Frontier cases and the Hornady 174 gr round nose soft points for the first batch. For powder I got a pound each of IMR 4064 and Accurate 2520. The first rifle to try out my rounds will be my 1917 BSA Mk III*. It's known to be pretty accurate with surplus and various factory ammo so I figured it would be a good rifle to start with since I already know it's shooting potential. This has been a heck of a learning experience with a lot more learning to come.

Hey Bear43,

I have a book you might want to peruse called, " The Shooter's Workbench", by John Mosher, published by Winchester press.

Do you want me to send it to you to read and return?

Ed

PS Do not tell Hoadie  as this book contains photos.
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2020 at 11:33am
If it doesn't have nude pigmys..I aint interested anyways!
Loose wimmen tightened here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2020 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by hoadie hoadie wrote:

If it doesn't have nude pigmys..I aint interested anyways!

Time to send a alert for all our members to help Hoadie to wear really thick glasses.
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2020 at 12:27pm
Hoadie,

Sent you a pm.
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 3:56am
Paddy, I'll take you up on that offer. I'll PM my address to you.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 7:23am
I will do

Stumpkiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stumpkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 7:53am
Enjoy yourself!  I find reloading to be a great zen exercise to clear my mind and uncoil from outside problems. 

Don't forget good lighting is a must.
Charlie P.

Life is not about how fast you run, or how high you climb, but how well you bounce.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 2:45pm
Before you build the bench let me ask you an odd question.
How do you intend to reload, seated or standing?
I ask because I can not reload sitting, I have to stand.
Because of that I took a tip from a lab bench builder (not shooting, chemical testing)
His tip was to build to the height of the tip of your bent elbow in whichever posture is "right" for you. Most benches are designed for a sitting height.
Mine has the main workspace at 38 1/2", perfect for me while standing, no stooping & back pain at all.
I tried a "Tallboy" bar stool with it once, but its still sitting so no go for me. Thats it off to the left hand side!
To give an idea of scale thats an 8' long ply for the bench-top!
Oh & make a cutout for the press so its slightly recessed & VERY well supported. You'd be amazed how much torque is applied to the mount by compound leverage!

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 8:09pm
i stand as well , just feels right even though i could sit if i chose , 

my setup is not quite as nice as the photo shamu provided , im ashamed of mine save it works well , im operating in an unused bathroom as of now - convenient at times and a bit tightly crowded others because its small , but i manage what little i do , at least its climate controlled with decent negative pressure when i turn on the fan , i can take a break - get a refill of water , wash my hands and load all of my rounds without leaving the room , there was i time when i had a darkroom setup in the similar space but im not shooting photos these days and there is not the chemical scent , i rather like the change , 
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2020 at 4:37am
My bench is lag bolted to the wall and legs are screwed to the floor (wife wasn’t thrilled about that, had to cut a 4x4 square out of the carpet).  Two layers of 3/4 inch birch plywood glued and screwed together with oak 1x3 on the edges.  Nice and solid.   I have the opposite problem as Sham, I can’t stand in one place for more than 30 mins, have to sit down.  

Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2020 at 5:40am
Both very nice loading stations. Yes, you can lift a bench off the floor on the upstroke on the press! I made sure the height was right so no strain on my back, and I like to stand up. Mind you, I have an old single stage press and routinely only work on 30-40 rounds at a time. 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2020 at 7:41am
Mine isn't actually bolted down, its so flipping heavy its anchored by gravity!
That tends to happen when you have 1 1/2 sheets of 4'X8' 7-ply & a bunch of 2X4 glued & screwed into one unit!
Star
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2020 at 8:42am
I plan to be standing at the bench so I have plans to build it high enough to be comfortable. Mine will have to go in the basement as my "gun room" is just too small for it. I already have a dehumidifier going down there and I will keep the powder and primers stored in the gun room until ready to use.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2020 at 7:41pm
excellent on both the storage and the build to suite your comfort , you want to be able to operate safely and without discomfort , the dehumidifier will be critical for successful results , you are going to enjoy this experience , it will make you in control of your shooting as you have never felt before , some things in life give you that comfort but this one is so real that you will never regret it only expand it as you find the need , what a great adventure to be on , 
Stumpkiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stumpkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2020 at 7:08pm
I have a small bench affixed to the wall studs in my basement with legs added for support.  To the left is a small multi-use surface I keep for case work or arrow fletching, etc.

Charlie P.

Life is not about how fast you run, or how high you climb, but how well you bounce.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic