Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > After Market Enfields
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Williams sight

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303 Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Williams sight
    Posted: May 26 2020 at 8:00pm
Has anyone here used a Willians D5 SMLE rear sight?
The Lee Enfield is to the Canadian north what the Winchester repeater was to the American west.   Cal Bablitz
yumastepside View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yumastepside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2020 at 6:14am
The D5 was my alternative to a Lyman.....hope you have more success with your question than I did

Roger
roger
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2020 at 3:40am
Most common match sights for SMLE are the BSA and Parker variations. I do not have any personal experience of Williams sights; sorry, that's not much help.
However an ex-member here is the expert on SMLE sights; so if you copy the same question on the "Milsurps" forum you will probably get the info your looking for.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yumastepside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2020 at 1:40pm
What myself, and I think 303hunter are after, is info on an alternative sight to the usual hard to get, expensive and overly complicated Enfield sights.
Personally, I,m after an aftermarket " peep " sight to use on my 375FNE LSA sporter that I can attach without having to remove the original dust cover.

Roger
roger
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2020 at 1:55pm
The Parker-Hale & its competitors were never meant to be a hunting sight. That's why its what it is a complex expensive Target shooting mod.
Are we talking No1 Or No4 rifles here?
There's a guy making a replacement for the No1 rear sight blade that has an aperture to it instead of a notch, might that be what you're looking for?
British Lee Enfield SMLE #1  Mk 3 Aperture 1/8" Peep Sight  CNC Milled In USA
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2020 at 2:13pm
There is a gentleman on ePay that sells these little plug and play 0.5 inserts. 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2020 at 2:17pm
Won't he have to mod the receiver slightly to fit that?
(not the aperture insert, the rearsight.)
I'm thinking he has an SMLE so that wont work.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2020 at 2:53pm
I was referring to the insert only. 
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2020 at 3:06pm
I have just started shooting L-E's with apature sites. Never ever thought I could. Shamu had a post with a "Steam Punk" looking Parker -Hale site on his No1. I then started utilizing the very excellent original ladder apature sight that came with the military issue No4's. Most of the "precision" apature sites are made for the bench... and perform brilliantly. I looked at Williams and other aftermarket apature sites for my No4 for hunting, but in all honesty, if you want to hunt (not punch paper) with a No4 Lee Enfield, you'd be hard pressed to find a better system that's already there. Just sayin'...
The Armourer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Armourer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2020 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by 303 Hunter 303 Hunter wrote:

Has anyone here used a Willians D5 SMLE rear sight?

Sorry, never used or even seen a Williams SMLE sight.

The most commonly used would be either the BSA or the PH5A with a variety of eyepieces available.

And the BSA No9

Edit to add :

Just looked on Google for the Williams D5 rear sight.

Confused.

How would it be installed ?
It looks as if it mounts on the RH side of the action - does it not then interfere with the operation of the bolt ?

I cannot find any pictures of an SMLE with one installed, do you have any pics ?
303 Hunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303 Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2020 at 7:58pm
No I don’t have pictures and it is supposed to be mounted on the right side.
According the mounting instructions on their website, it requires some grinding of the charger bridge. As for the advantages over the regular sights would mainly be wind adjustment. But all of that is why I was asking about it.
The Lee Enfield is to the Canadian north what the Winchester repeater was to the American west.   Cal Bablitz
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2020 at 10:38pm
I would not be grinding anything to fit a sight. There are plenty of obscure and hard to find Australian made target sights if the regular BSA and various Parker sights are not to your taste.
Personally I can only speak from my own experience with the PH5A and No9G on the SMLE and the TZ 4/47 on the L39. They all do the job they were designed for; the only issue I have with the No9G is that the recoil can loosen the main hinge screw. But tis is probably because I currently have a homemade brass screw fitted.
The Dioptre add on fitted to the standard SMLE sight in Shamu's post looks to be of little use to me. Being well forward of the eye; I think the hole will need to be too big for proper sighting, and probably no better than the standard sight.
Would like to see photos of a Williams sight fitted to a Lee Enfield, just curious!
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2020 at 10:55pm
Found a picture of one!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yumastepside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2020 at 11:13pm
A Williams and a Lyman sight mounted on an SMLE

Roger
roger
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2020 at 11:17pm
Thanks for the pictures.
if the cost of the sight is less than a Parker type; I think the difference would be offset by the drop in value of having to modify your rifle.
If you need a screwdriver to adjust the windage; it's not really an adjuster is it!
The Armourer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Armourer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2020 at 11:49pm
Originally posted by yumastepside yumastepside wrote:

A Williams and a Lyman sight mounted on an SMLE

Roger

Thanks for finding the pictures - they look Soooooo wrong.

Cutting away 'wood' and / or metal and drilling the side of the action to fit a 'commercial' sight doesn't do it for me, but, I guess each to their own, if its your rifle you can do what you want to do to it, it just makes the un-butchered ones rarer and more valuable.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic