Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > After Market Enfields
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Williams sight

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Armourer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2020 at 12:04am
Originally posted by 303 Hunter 303 Hunter wrote:

No I don’t have pictures and it is supposed to be mounted on the right side.
According the mounting instructions on their website, it requires some grinding of the charger bridge. As for the advantages over the regular sights would mainly be wind adjustment. But all of that is why I was asking about it.

If you are simply looking to introduce some windage adjustement and still have the original SMLE rear sight on your sporter, you could always source (not very expensive, maybe $30-$50) an original SMLE windage rear sight.

The early SMLE's were fitted with a windage adjustable rear sight 'as standard' but the requirement was dropped when it was decided to simplify and speed up production.

It was all part of the list of changes from the Mk3 to the Mk3*

The Armourer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Armourer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2020 at 8:46am
Originally posted by 303 Hunter 303 Hunter wrote:

No I don’t have pictures and it is supposed to be mounted on the right side.
According the mounting instructions on their website, it requires some grinding of the charger bridge. As for the advantages over the regular sights would mainly be wind adjustment. But all of that is why I was asking about it.

I knew I'd got one somewhere in the gun-room.

This one was issued and used on three different rifles. serial numbers :
8562N
F9462
G509

The original SMLE windage adjustable rear sight.

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2020 at 8:58am
I've used several Williams sights, but never the SMLE one. Basically they make one sight body, then add goodies to make different models.
They also sell the goodies individually, like the knob adjustable windage screw.
As has been mentioned they are drill & tap, which many hesitate to do because it devalues the rile to a collector.
The ones I had (on a Remington 700) where itt was used as, what in today's jargon would be a BUIS worked just fine.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
yumastepside View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yumastepside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 12:00am
The value of my rifle is not of a concern as it came to me as a very rough sporter in 303-25 and after several incarnations, one of which is pictured below, it is now finally a 375x2 1/2 FNE.
The main reason for a " hunting " peep sight is that I can't see normal barrel mounted sights....damn you old age!!

Roger
roger
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 8:35am
The Williams should do you fine, but I would add the finger adjustable windage knob, the screwdriver one is a pain.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Armourer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 8:57am
Originally posted by Shamu Shamu wrote:

The Williams should do you fine, but I would add the finger adjustable windage knob, the screwdriver one is a pain.

Is that the same answer to the OP, although we have no idea what rifle the OP has.

303 Hunter - can you post some pictures of your rifle ?

It could be a rare variant, if it is it may be better to not D&T it.
pisco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pisco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 2:32pm
I couldn’t come to drilling my smle for that I will stick to the old motty,centrel sights
pisco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pisco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 2:36pm
the smle windage adjustable rear sights make life so easy 
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 2:56pm
I wonder how much big game has been shot world wide with a Lee Enfield. 
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 2:57pm
Sorry. Meant to say the Calibre your rifle is now chambered in interests me. It must be a beast!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 3:11pm
No.
The Williams sights are basically all the same body, (windage arm & elevator) within a series, with the individual mount for the rifle & a bunch of add on accessories that convert one Williams model to another.
Anything for the sight body, not the mounting base is interchangeable (mostly) between all the same series of sights.
Your thumbscrew windage screw would fit any sight arm/elevator, in the same series, regardless of rifle mount.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Armourer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by Shamu Shamu wrote:

No.
The Williams sights are basically all the same body, (windage arm & elevator) within a series, with the individual mount for the rifle & a bunch of add on accessories that convert one Williams model to another.
Anything for the sight body, not the mounting base is interchangeable (mostly) between all the same series of sights.
Your thumbscrew windage screw would fit any sight arm/elevator, in the same series, regardless of rifle mount.

Sorry, what I meant was that we have no idea what rifle the OP (303 Hunter)is asking about, as many people call 'any' Lee Enfield a SMLE irrespective of No or Mk, it could be anything.

It could be anything from a SHTle Mk1 to a No1 Mk5 to a No4T, all of which are commonly called "Smelly's"

I think we owe to him to give the best advice based on his rifle - if it is a rare variant he could be loosing $000's in value if he drills holes in it.
At least then he can make an informed choice.

The thread has got sidetracked to another poster asking about the sight for his sporter variant in an Australian wildcat calibre.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 3:34pm
I'm afraid you're missing the point.
Read here:
(all they do is change the base) You're going to drill & tap it anyway\
"For British Shot Magazine Lee Enfield, Nos. 1, 4, & 5."

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yumastepside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 4:45pm
....sorry sunshine, but the 375x2 1/2" Flanged Nitro Express is hardly an Australian wildcat.....I didn't exactly hi-jack the thread, I was after the same information.
My LSA isn't really a beast, it has a medium 24" barrel and a reasonably heavy stock, I would say the recoil was " brisk ", no more than my 9.3x74r P14.

Roger
roger
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 6:45pm
so , are these calibers ausie alternatives to the 303 ? for what reason ? just curious 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yumastepside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 2:11am
I find this hard to believe.....you have never heard of the 375x2 1/2" FNE?....it was developed by Holland and Holland in about 1909 ( I think )and it is basically a two and one half inch long 303 case firing a 270gr projectile......you're kidding me, right??

Roger
roger
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic