Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > After Market Enfields
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Williams sight

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 5:37am
It sounds like that round was developed for big game in the dark continent. That being said, I would probably use a site that is sighted in at 50 yards. If using a peep type site, I wouldn't think you would need windage adjustment as that rifle will probably lob them in at anything longer than a 100 yard target, and shouldn't be affected by winds at those distances. 
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 3:05pm
It would be nice if "303 Hunter " could tell us what rifle he wants to put a sight on. 

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
303 Hunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303 Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2020 at 11:39am
Ok, sorry for the delay in my reply. So the reason for the first question was just for general info on the sight.
So far the only Lee action rifles I have are the criterion barreled No4 mkI* that I believe is Savage made and a sporterized mkII Lee metford that I plan to rebuild into a Lee speed style rifle. I don't intend to use the the Williams sight on ether.
The main reason for my interest in it is that it's mentioned in a book I have so I looked it up on their website and found that they still made it and was wondering how well it worked over the regular sights.
The Lee Enfield is to the Canadian north what the Winchester repeater was to the American west.   Cal Bablitz
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2020 at 12:13pm
Thanks for letting us know the reason for your question.
It was interesting to see the williams sight. Although I don't really see a use for it on a Lee Enfield due to the requirement to fit it on the right-hand side.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2020 at 12:44pm
It looked like you needed a screwdriver to adjust. Something you would do at the range, not while a rhino is charging!Tongue "Where's that bloody screwdriver?"
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2020 at 1:03pm
There were several versions, some need a screwdriver (or small coin) some didn't. Mostly the ones that did were up-gradable.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
303 Hunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303 Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2020 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by yumastepside yumastepside wrote:

The value of my rifle is not of a concern as it came to me as a very rough sporter in 303-25 and after several incarnations, one of which is pictured below, it is now finally a 375x2 1/2 FNE.
The main reason for a " hunting " peep sight is that I can't see normal barrel mounted sights....damn you old age!!

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/Y3d3ZTm.jpg[/IMG]

Roger

So how is the 375x2 1/2 as a cartridge?
The Lee Enfield is to the Canadian north what the Winchester repeater was to the American west.   Cal Bablitz
yumastepside View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yumastepside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2020 at 1:25am
To be honest, the main reason I built the .375 was so I could have a rifle marked " Nitro Express " without taking out a second mortgage. With 270gr pills its a bit much but works exceptionally well on pigs, deer and goat. Apparently back in the day it was used for lion and leopard and was one of Elmer Keiths favourite elk cartridges. I'm hoping to try it out on our Asiatic Buffalo and maybe Sambar one day. It would probably be a good choice for your Black Bear, superior to the 45-70, 30% more energy than the 303, starting at about 2000 FPS with a 270gr, its still doing about 1650 at 200M.
Not mine below, but I am currently restocking mine with the same style of stock. Mine has a standard bolt handle, 24" barrel and a short quarter rib with one standing/ one folding leaf and I was even thinking of machining in a pair of dovetails into the rib for QD rings and a scout scope....not traditional but I didn't want to build just another Lee Speed copy

Roger
roger
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2020 at 3:59am
That sounds like a very interesting project. There is something about those Lee Speeds that appeals to me.
Hobocop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hobocop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2021 at 3:31am
In process of putting back together a MA Lithgow SMLE 1940. I was not the person who took it a part nor do I know why. Any how at some point this Williamson site found its way on here.  This would possibly be used by my son open sites maybe 50-100 yards out.  Oh yeah and yes I now I'm missing a few things.  I just started this yesterday when it found the way out of the back of the closet.
lyman1903 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lyman1903 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2021 at 7:05pm
Originally posted by yumastepside yumastepside wrote:

The value of my rifle is not of a concern as it came to me as a very rough sporter in 303-25 and after several incarnations, one of which is pictured below, it is now finally a 375x2 1/2 FNE.
The main reason for a " hunting " peep sight is that I can't see normal barrel mounted sights....damn you old age!!

Roger

I know this would be  a necro post, but I really like the looks of that, 

lyman1903 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lyman1903 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2021 at 7:08pm
re the original question 

I've not had any non factory sight on an Enfield, 

however, 

I have used a lot of Lyman and Redfield (and a few Mossberg) sights on the various small bore guns I have,

in the past, if one came with a Williams, it was removed, sold off on ebay, and replaced with a Lyman or Redfield, 

not the quality, they are relatively well made ,  

but if you have ever used a Redfield or Lyman (or likely Parker Hale, Central etc ) you will not be happy with the Williams

just my 2 cents
W.R.Buchanan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W.R.Buchanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2021 at 1:55pm

Lyman: I agree totally with your .02.  Williams sights don't repeat and are pretty much a set it and leave it type of device.

The old steel Lyman and Redfield Receiver Sights  were some of the best sighting devices ever made.
Here's a pic of an adapter to mate a Redfield or Lyman to a  #4 rifle. I have made several of them and my personal #4 Mk1 has a slightly different version with a Redfield Olympic mounted I have shown this here several times and actually sold one to a guy in AUS who was perfectly "Chuffed" with it.

These use a 6-32 screw thru the left ear for the rear sight, and then a Ejector Screw lengthened by .060 for the front attachment. It is just a lengthened version of the earlier Redfield/Lyman mount.

Randy

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic