Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > OT Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Time for a new BBQ grill/smoker/rotisserie.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Time for a new BBQ grill/smoker/rotisserie.
    Posted: May 27 2020 at 3:00pm
"Old Faithful" was bought from a K-Mart sidewalk end-of-season sale 12 years ago.
We've run it it snow, rain, sleet & Ice, its grilled, BBQ'd, Smoked & roasted just about everything imaginable, but its old, leaky rusted beyond yet another repaint, so its time to retire it gracefully.

The folks that were our neighbors have moved on & the new ones don't really congregate so its pretty much the two of us now, rather than the block party we used to have.
So we got a 22" Weber "master touch", then we added a honkin' big smoker conversion & while we were at it a rotisserie too, (we never had one before). Its still charcoal, it just tastes better than gas.

Getting everything together in this locked down & out Coronavirus Panicdemic has been problematic. Its all been done by mail order & coordinating the suppliers has been like herding cats! I'm just waiting for the next disaster at this point, but, hopefully, it will be worth the effort. Pics to follow as it develops.
The two "baskets" (in the bottom under the grille) are for use with the rotisserie a split flame offset to the sides. But I think they'll be useful for offset BBQ as well.
http://weberkettleclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/DSC07919-Custom.jpg

smoker conversion. 2 smoking racks, extended body, heat shield & an extended fire ring for long slow fires. (not shown)
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/88/53/d2/8853d27112b5b6bab8d4c6b334adcd00.jpg

Rotisserie (the 18" is shown, but its basically the same.)

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2020 at 3:26pm
The photos you have posted over the years of food you’ve cooked up in that smoker is like torture.  It would be awesome to be your neighbor!  
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2020 at 3:33pm
What's the first thing you're going to cook on the new grill?
Stumpkiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stumpkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2020 at 6:52pm
S w e e t . . . 

I'm still using a Char-Broil much like your original for THE ADMIRAL and I.  Makes a brisket that will roll your eyes back.

I like the offset heat.  Does your new critter have access below the meat racks to "top it off" with new charcoal?

I made a "fixed base" for a 25 year old 14" circular Si-Port II rail-mount propane grill we had on the last three boats that is a Canadian [improved] version of a Magma.  Fast & easy, but the tasty carcinogenic charcoal crispy creosote bits just aren't there with gas flames.  
Charlie P.

Life is not about how fast you run, or how high you climb, but how well you bounce.
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2020 at 4:20am
A South African friend showed us their way of roasting a chicken in a BBQ like that.
Basically; open a can of beer; stuff the beer can as far into the chickens arse as it will go; keeping it upright as not to spill any beer.
Stand it up in the BBQ and close the lid. The beer steam will keep the chicken nice and moist!Thumbs Up

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2020 at 5:07am
That actually works really well. Drink at least 1/4 of the beer first or it will boil over. Use your favourite dry rub.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2020 at 5:27am
Beer can chicken works ok..gets a bit "old" after while. Picked up a Beer Can Turkey roasting rack while back. Problem is, its so big y'all can't close the lid!!
Then Rhino gifted us a "Oil-less Turkey Fryer" That cooks a turkey in 1/2 time & no oil to filter,dispose of & no burn risk!
Loose wimmen tightened here
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2020 at 6:26am
I grilled up some pork ribs and brats last weekend. Tasty stuff! I would love to upgrade to a rig like that, Shamu.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2020 at 7:15am
Britrifles: We used to have BBQ block parties, now the neighbors are all different & they are over that. The new ones seem uninterested & very closed in bunch. We had the town Police (actually The "County Mountie", it's that small a town), drop in once, they were on patrol & followed the smell that was apparently covering 1/2 the town!

Honkytonk:One load with just charcoal to remove any "factory taste/smell", then a little of each of the woods we routinely use (Pecan, Apple, Cherry, J.D. Oak barrels & Hickory/Mesquite) with the charcoal & a bit of everything, scrap ends mostly, chicken, pork, Brats, beef, & so on to kick start the flavoring.
Our dry rub, "Fake" Biltong seasoning, Jerk, & Cavenders Greek, so we get a nice impregnation/copy of the taste of the old one.
Then probably steaks to actually eat, after that chicken on the rotisserie.

Stumpkiller: Yes it does direct & with the "Stacker" indirect heat. With the kettle you make a long trail of coals & light just one end so it takes a long time to burn out because each coal has to light & burn through to light the next one. The big disc is a heat deflector that goes over the coals & wood directing the smoke to the sides & keeping it choked back a bit too. The grille came with a couple of "baskets" for offset heat for the rotisserie as well.
If it must be topped up the grilling grate is hinged at both sides to allow adding more.

Zed: That's one thing I'm looking forward to, the old offset actually had a kinda small diameter cooking drum, you couldn't do whole hams or vertical chicken in it, even with the warming rack removed. By using the stacker but cooking on the regular grate it should be no problem for tall foods as it adds almost 14" to the height!

Hoadie: That was my problem too. The actual cooking "drum" was long so we could do lots of food when we had the get togethers. But it was "slim" so bulky foods, like poultry & hams were problematic. Next time we're going for height as well as width.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2020 at 11:22am
Think I"ll have to get the BBQ out this weekend! monday is a holiday and the weather looks like staying hot (for the time of year)Thumbs Up

Have also promised to take my daughter to the range on Saturday to shoot the 1918 SMLE .22.
See how she gets on with the open sights. I think she's getting too used to the dioptre on the air rifle!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2020 at 2:05pm
Go for it! Range time, with family, followed by BBQ!What could possibly be better?
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2020 at 7:56pm
i think its great to update , ive often held off too long because i get attached to things and let go slow 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2020 at 12:00pm
Well I finally got everything needed & put it all together!
I'm thinking between the Weber charcoal baskets & the Cajun Bandit big fire ring there's lots of possibilities for fire setups. I'm going to do the break in burn with just charcoal on in the baskets, centered.
My hope is the baskets (separated) will be nice for the rotisserie & the two combined in the middle for grilling.
For smoking I'm thinking a serpentine fuse type. Starting at one end, slowly burning round the outside between the baskets (with a water container in them) then coming in through the middle to finish up.
Enjoy, it'll never look this clean ever again if the storm holds off.

Everything stacked neatly or storage (except the rotisserie arm which is too long)

Baskets (Weber, came with the grille) & fire ring from the smoker kit by Cajun Bandit, lots of options for heat there.

Rotisserie setup, will add a drip pan for the middle.

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2020 at 12:04pm
Smoking "stacker kit" does 2 layers of smoking, assembled you can see the heat diffusion in the bottom.

Installed & ready

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2020 at 12:05pm
The cover even fits (sort of)

Right, off to hunt down rotisserie recipes.
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2020 at 1:13pm
It looks like "Sputnik" in the first picture.

Lets see pic's of the first BBQ session!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic