Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reloading > Reloading .303 British
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Where are those dang 150’s!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 5:23am
Shot the Hornady 150 SP loads yesterday.  

PPU Case
WLR Primer
36.0 gr H4895
Hornady 150 gr SP
3.05 OAL

200 yards prone in sling.  Bullet POI was 6 MOA below my 174 SMK, 40.0 gr Varget Match load.  Recoil noticeably lighter.  10 shot groups were 3.7, 4.4 and 4.8 MOA and strung vertically.  One or two vertical fliers in each group.  Windage spread was about 2 to 2.5 MOA.  I’m going to increase the charge to 38.0 gr and see if this eliminates the fliers.  

Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 6:09am
britrifles... I found out in the two Enfield No4's I shoot Hornady 150's out of, the best accuracy was acheived when using 39 grs of H4895. 
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 6:43am
It will be interesting to see if the Hornady 150’s will shoot as well as the 174 SMKs in my rifles.  Every rifle will be a bit different.  I was shooting this load from my Fulton Regulated Long Branch Mk 1/3 with BSA 5 groove barrel.  

I usually test in 0.5 grain increments, minimum of 40 rounds (four 10 shot groups).   I’ll probably try 38.0, 38.5 and 39.0g.  Hodgdon gives 40.0 gr of H4895 as maximum with this bullet.   

Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 8:31am
Yop. I started at 36 grs, shot two 10 round sessions (10 one day, 10 the next) logged results. I then went up 1 gr and repeated. As 40 great is the listed max, I knew I wouldn't be going any higher than 39 gr. That is where my rifles seemed to get the best groups. As a bonus, it is an amazing whitetail cartridge! I don't have a crono, but I suspect it's clicking along at about 2500 ft/sec. 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 8:45am
Its interesting your 150 gr prints lower than the 174. I found the same thing, must be something to do with barrel harmonics I guess.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 1:29pm
Shamu, where is the barrel bearing on your rifle?  I was shooting my Fulton No. 4 which has the bearing just in front of the first lightening cut in the forend.  Definitely different harmonics. 

The Hodgdon website gives the MV as 2447 fps For 36.0 gr H4895 and the Hornady 150 SP.  that’s about 50 fps faster than my 174 gr Sierra match load.  I wasn’t expecting that much difference in the rear sight setting.  This rifle does give higher elevation as MV increases, but the bullet weight would also affect the elevation.  

HT, 39 grains would be close to 2600 fps. 
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 3:01pm
I have shot this combo for years on whitetail... great results. Thanks britrifles... something told me his was a pretty sporty round on game. But still below a Max load.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 3:22pm
No center bedding on mine!
The 1st 1/2" for about 35° either side of BDC, the 1" BDC at the tip of the forend.
It shot so well, I was frankly afraid of messing it up with barrel packing.
Once, may years ago, I tried to "improve" a rather nice No4 Mk2. Lets just say it didn't go well, & I still remember the monumental bollocking I got from our SWO. Oddly you'll get a laugh out of this. His name was Gibbs, Frank Gibbs, he was in no way related to "F.W.Gibbs & sons", who were my LGS. They were literally walking distance from where I lived on Park Row, in Bristol.
Hug
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 6:09pm
My best shooting No. 4 is a Mk 2 DCRA 7.62 conversion that is bedded at the middle band with about 12 lbs pressure.  The standard muzzle bearing will indeed shoot well, but so far, I’ve not been able to get the standard forend stocked rifles to shoot quite as good as the Fulton center bearing or DCRA middle band bearing.  

A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 6:49pm
your way more organized than the chaos in my reloading room - im working on it , 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2020 at 3:46pm
Spent a great day at the range today, even got to shoot a Browning MG in 7.62.  The guy also had a BAR, should have asked him if I could fire that too.  Don’t see these every day.  

I increased the charge of H4895 from 36.0 gr to 38.0 gr with the Hornady 150 SP.  This seems to have cured the vertical stringing.  Shots all in the 10 ring at 200 yards, prone in sling.  These were all shot from my 69L Fulton No. 4 Mk 1/3.  Group below is just over 2 MOA.  Rear sight setting is about 3 MOA above my 174 gr Match load. The increased charge dropped the elevation setting by 2 MOA.  The barrel center bearing (at 5 inches from chamber) completely reverses the more typical trend of lower velocities increasing the POI on the target.   I plan to shoot more of this bullet and do a comparison of average scores and group sized of at least 10 groups (of ten shots each).  

I may also try 39.0 gr, to see if group size changes.  

Shooting the Browning MG.  

Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2020 at 4:03pm
Very nice shooting!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2020 at 7:06pm
The promising thing with this load is that I had 5 sequential shots (# 2 thru #6) that were all inside the X ring, at about 2 inches apart (1 MOA). The sixth shot went to the right (#7) which I called right.  Then #8 was back in the X ring.  With a scope on the bench, this load might shoot MOA.  

Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2020 at 7:20pm
39 grs of H4895 has been a very accurate powder load for 150's in my trusty deer rifle for many years. I also found the Hornady Spire Point shot better groups than the 150 gr Sierra ProHunters. As each of these rifles like their own medicine, it does take time to develop what works best. The one constant I do keep, primarily for convenience, is I use H4895 in all my Enfields. But again, that's just me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic