Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help identify markings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marksman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help identify markings
    Posted: June 02 2020 at 10:18pm
he!!o all. New owner of this Enfield and was wandering if anyone could help me with any information on this riffle. 
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2020 at 11:46pm
Welcome , sorry , cannot really see what you have from that photo - can you get a closer look at the markings ?

all i can say from the photo is that it is a no 4 mk I with wrist markings that suggest BSA or maltby or mkI* that suggest longbranch or savage 
The Armourer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Armourer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2020 at 11:52pm
As said, it is a Lee Enfield No4 Mk1

Is that a TR marking on the bottom of the butt-socket ?

If so, I believe it may be a BSA (serial number prefix 3) that during testing gave better than average accuracy and was marked as a potential 'sniper variant' (TR = Telescope Rifle).
It was however never converted as the other markings etc to show it was converted are not present.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2020 at 12:42am
X32408 or X32478 serial number 
1945?
T5* or T56
If that T is followed by 56, I would highly recommend having the chamber checked to see if it chambered for the 7.62x51 NATO instead of the .303B

Marksman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marksman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2020 at 2:46am
thank you. I am trying to figure out how to post on here.  I have many pictures I am trying to post on my riffle. 
Marksman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marksman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2020 at 2:55am
please bare with ne I am trying to figure out how to post multiple pictures on here.  I have many pictures of my riffle and I am trying to figure out any information on it. Right now I am trying to clean decades of cosmoline off it.
Marksman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marksman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2020 at 3:09am
Marksman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marksman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2020 at 3:11am
Marksman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marksman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2020 at 3:12am
Marksman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marksman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2020 at 3:13am
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2020 at 7:26am
RE: posting images.
Its a "dot & carry one" system unfortunately.

Click on "POST REPLY" button not quick reply.
Click on the icon of a tree above the dialog box.
Click "browse".
Go to the image on your computer.
Clik "UPLOAD"
Done!

The picture will show up in your post & be saved here for later use. Just click on the tree again to see what you have saved.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2020 at 11:38am
Just as the Armourer stated. The TR below the serial number identifies it as a Telescopic Rifle. The process was not completed however. An item of concern would be the * on top of the receiver. That is an indication that there was rust or a small pit found in the bore at one point in time. Not enough for the rifle to be condemned,but enough that there was cause for concern.
Marksman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marksman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2020 at 12:32pm
thank you everyone for helping me identify this riffle. I was confused because I thought that it should have some kind of crown markings.  Not sure what kind of Enfield this is. Thank you all.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2020 at 3:32pm
It is a No4MkI made at the Birmingham Small Arms plant
Marksman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marksman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2020 at 8:05pm
thank you fir your knowledge. 
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2020 at 8:27pm
very nice rifle , you do have a keeper and well worth any restoration efforts you make to it , i realize cost is always a factor but dont scrimp on this one , it deserves the best you can muster when you take on the project , wont hurt a bit to enjoy it in the meantime just as it is though , your photos a very good , 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic