Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Bayonets
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Like a Pokemon! Gotta catch em' all...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Like a Pokemon! Gotta catch em' all...
    Posted: June 06 2020 at 12:24pm
I am 99.999/99% positive that I have all the bayonets associated with the No4Mk1 Enfield Rifle now.

No4Mk1 Cruciform 
No4Mk11
No4Mk11*
No4Mk111
No7MkI/L swivel pommel 
No9MkI POF 
No9MkI SA
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 2:27pm
That is a nice collection there. Good job on finding them, especially that cruciform.
shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 2:54pm
Idk, i think you'd need to get one of each from all the various makers.    
Lead from the front; eliminate all obstacles...
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 3:04pm
Enabler! Evil Smile
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 5:01pm
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 5:28pm
I did something to the Cruciform that a purist would be vomiting in his own hands right now.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 6:39pm
then dont tell us ...............but yes - you have the complete set of production items now , there were a couple trials items but ive never had occasion to get one of those , you have a very nice collection , 
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 8:15pm
I shaved the wings off the back of the bayonet where the thumb release sits. I smoothed and contoured the areas around it as well. I used 300 grit wet dry sandpaper and an ignition file to clean up any deep abrasions in the metal as well. 
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2020 at 10:28pm
ahhhhhhhhhhhhh , i asked you not to tell us , least all the markings are intact ..........i think , 

dont do that to the two i sent - they were late production and the crudeness of them reflect the severity of war on production , i think pole barn spikes would have been deployed if they could have figured out how to attach the socket , function preceded form in this realm 
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 5:15am
I remeber when I was still newly married. My (then) B.I.L. worked in the foundry @ G.M. here in St. Catharines.
He showed up @ In-laws for Sunday dinner one time w/a Enfield bayo. It was a cruciform. (He "liberated" it).
Told me there were a couple semi - dump truck loads of them came in for the melt.
(I remember shaking my head & thinking "only in Canada wud something this dumb happen")
Loose wimmen tightened here
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 5:41am
What a shame.  

I’ve only got a few spike bayos.  Dad had a box of Bayos that went with his rifle collection, but we have not been able to find them.  The only two he still has are for the Snider and Martini.  
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 7:28am
Everything will be as it is with the others A Square.  The Cruciform looked as if it was used as a nail in some spots and a chipping hammer in others. It definitely needed help.
englishman_ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 10:38am
Nice.

Now you really NEED to add the variations by each manufacturer and by year. Evil Smile

I bought a galvanised bucket of spike bayonets at a yard sale one time, they had been kept in the shed and used as tent pegs for prospector tents at the hunt camp.

Had one soaking in Diesel for two years and I still cant get the button out. I tried drilling from the back but gave up on that almost immediately, that steel is tough sh!t!
Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!
shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 1:11pm
There was what, only 75,000 cruxiforms made?
That'd make them a tad scarce now-a-days compared to the millions of the others.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 2:13pm
We used to have these surplus stores called Yellow Front and you could buy an Enfield rifle from $9.95-$15.95. You could also buy a No4Mk11 bayonet for $1.00. Somewhere in my dads storage container is a bucket of bayonets that have been used as tent pegs,complete with sledge hammer marks. 
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 7:03pm
they were not collector items back then , they were surplus , no one wanted to be reminded but did have use for such items in common things , they were waste that folks wanted something beyond scrap for , interesting how times change , 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic