Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

#5 Bush Carbine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marco1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: #5 Bush Carbine
    Posted: June 07 2020 at 2:28pm

Recent modernisation of a very poor condition #5 Jungle Carbine.

Now before anyone gets all up in arms , nothing was done to the rifle that caused any permanent damage / modifications that would prevent it being eventually returned to original format ! (which I may still do sometime if I can source the very hard to find parts. #5's were never army issue here in NZ).

When I orginally got it, it was in a very poor state, with no correct woodwork anyway, front flash hidder had been butchered, and someone had tapped it badly for a telescopic sight.

I have given it some reworked furniture that had previously been cut down, added a 2 x red dot sight, slip-on muzzle brake. Its now a lightened and handy hunting rifle ideal for working through thick brush.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 2:51pm
Interesting rifle. Always appreciate someone's visions to make a "wonky" Lee Enfield into something that can still function. Personally, I believe sporterized LE's after the war(s), because they were a relatively inexpensive purchase, and we're more than capable in putting meat in the freezer, saved the .303 calibre from disappearing. Thus continuing  the  interest in this calibre to this day... enabling components (and factory ammunition) to be readily available for both fans of original rifles and sporters to enjoy this mostvenerable cartridge
Marco1010 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marco1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 6:31pm
You are right there Honkytonk. In NZ between the world wars and after ww2 up into the 1970's the 303 LE was THE rifle to take down thousands of deer in the NZ bush. Many still do even now days. Plus there was always a lingering nostalga in that Grandad carried the 303 to Gallipoli and dad had his in North Africa and Italy. The LE never let them down then and it won't let you down now. Most hunter here seem to always have a LE in some form lurking at the back of the gunsafe. Sometimes they haven't been out for decades.

This project was just for fun, but at then end I have a nice repurposed rifle that is light enough to take for a "walk"or even let my kids use.
Stumpkiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stumpkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 7:06pm
No worries here.  Sporterization was still the way to go when I was a pup and it was a viable path with so many inexpensive surplus actions.

One of the rifles of my past used gun-rack forays I always kick myself for passing up was a Krag that had been sporterized.  Someone had done a beautiful job: 21" or 22" barrel, Lyman peep and killer wood with well-done hand checkering, and it likely would have serverd for another century - but the single locking lug just inspires little confidence.  I have an as issued one my Grandpa bought from, I assume, the DCM.  Haven't shot that in 40 years for the same reason.
Charlie P.

Life is not about how fast you run, or how high you climb, but how well you bounce.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 7:23pm
i used to shoot my krags when i had them , they were all still military , 92 , 96 , 98 rifles and 99 carbine , they all shot well with vintage cartridges and reloads of the same composure , these were really well made rifles at the time , 
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 8:16pm
Have you fired the rifle with that reconfigured butt stock? The bottom line below the stock bolt looks impressively thin. The recoil will typically stay in a horizontal stressing the lower half. I only say this because I shattered a buttstock configured a similar way.
Marco1010 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marco1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 8:26pm
Thanks Goosic
I have reinforced the stock with carbon fibre rods inserted intothe areas around the cut outs. This may not be totally successful I know, but worst case scenario, it cracks or breaks. Stocks are not hard to come by thankfully.
Option 2 , I have a telescopic AR 15 type stock I could make fit.
Got to try a bit of experimentation sometimes, thats the fun!
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 8:38pm
FYI the Mossberg 500 has the same angle on the buttstock and can be made to fit the Enfield.  Many decades ago,an acquaintance of mine fitted a Mossberg 500 folding stock with pistol grip to his No4. It looked pretty good from a teenagers perspective at the time.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic