Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Gunsmithing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hardly call it gunsmithing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hardly call it gunsmithing
    Posted: June 10 2020 at 11:09am
I had an aftermarket peep site made for me for my Cooey Model 82M. It worked ok, but the fellow that made it, shall we say, left alot of clearances. The eye piece often loosens. That being said, I've had this idea bouncing around in my head for a while. I had an old Lee Enfield apature site (the kind you need to squeeze the little lever to move up/down, Mk2?) Anyways, I utilized the L bracket that screws on to the rifle, ground of the fixed part of the site, and applied it on with JB Weld. I know that sounds really Bubba'ish, and it won't fold, but I think it will actually look cool!
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2020 at 1:28pm
Page 292 in The Lee Enfield book. Chapter on small bore trainers.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2020 at 1:34pm
Nice!
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2020 at 1:36pm
Yes. The fellow made me one that looked like the one on the Cooey in the picture. The slot where the eye piece threaded part that screws into a machined nut was very rough, and was wider then the nut, making it near impossible to keep the eye piece tight. I realize the yardage indicators won't mean anything, but I'm thinking it'll look good.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2020 at 1:38pm
Do what the services did.
Scribe a new, different set on the other leg of the ladder!
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2020 at 2:39pm
That's a good idea! I also found the plans for the dummy magazine. I was in the garage and started messing with a piece of wood as I thought the radius on the top of the magazine would be tough to do for a good fit on the bottom of the rifle, but it called for an 1 1/8" radius and I had a drum that size. Tested it on the rifle and it seems to fit fairly flush! It will need a longer stock bolt, but the hole in that magazine is drilled up to about an inch from the bottom of the stock. Might give it a go tomorrow.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2020 at 2:40pm
that sounds like a viable solution to the problem , 
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2020 at 5:14am
I checked my ladder peep project this morning. JB Weld is rock solid! I test installed it on the rifle and it lines up to the eye nice! Now a bit of polish and paint, and a test run tomorrow!
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2020 at 2:50pm
WD40'ed the shiny stuff, flat black header paint on the dark stuff, sight securely mounted on the Cooey 82M, test ride and site in @ 25 yards tomorrow morning!
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2020 at 9:01pm
good luck - should work fine 
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2020 at 2:43pm
Interesting test run on the L-E ladder/Cooey 82M. Set up several 2" bulls @ 25 yards. My "eyeball" sighting in in my Mancave gave a nice 3 shot group, 6" high of bull. I put the ladder site down as low as it would go, and aiming at the bottom of the round 2" bull, I started scoring decent groups. My best group to date with this rifle is 1.17" @ 25 yards. I'd love to get ten shots within an 1", but I fear with open sights the rifle will perform better than my eyes can deliver... 
Fairbanks007 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fairbanks007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2020 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by Honkytonk Honkytonk wrote:

My best group to date with this rifle is 1.17" @ 25 yards. I'd love to get ten shots within an 1", but I fear with open sights the rifle will perform better than my eyes can deliver... 

I am quite familiar with this problem.
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2020 at 5:32pm
mine does , i cannot see why yours wont , these are tack drivers 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic