Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Gunsmithing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

#1 MK3" 1919 oil soaked wood

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pan957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: #1 MK3" 1919 oil soaked wood
    Posted: June 22 2020 at 2:35pm
I have applied a paste of whiting and denatured alcohol [calcium carbonate] to the bottom fore stock of my Lithgow #1 mk3* about 20 times. It is donor Ishapore wood from Liberty Tree Collectibles [$115] that was saturated with oil and cosmoline. I got a lot of oil out of the wood but when placed in the hot 90 degree sun it still leeches out a very light oil stain. I want to stain it and refinish it with Minwax Tung oil. My question is can I stain over the oil stain or should I continue  with the whiting until it doesn't exhibit any oil stain? i just don't want the tung oil finish to be spotty.
pan957
Stumpkiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stumpkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2020 at 5:38pm
Mineral spirits work better than alcohol to draw oils out of wood.  

Also, a good wash with a (junk) cotton towel soaked with warm soapy water (Dawn detergent - or any detergent) will also help clean it to a depth the stain can then take.  Let it dry a few days after the scrubbing.  Since you're going to apply tung oil afterwards you don't need to chase it all out.
Charlie P.

Life is not about how fast you run, or how high you climb, but how well you bounce.
Marco1010 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marco1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2020 at 7:07pm
If its really badly oil soaked you can use acetone or MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) solvent to disolve and draw the oil out. But be aware this is nasty stuff and will take all the oils out of your skin, so wear good chemical resistant gloves.
Allow to dry for a few days then the cleaned wood will then take up the new oil (lots of coats of BLO or Tung oil).
pisco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pisco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2020 at 10:56pm
spray oven cleaner on it leave for 15-20 minutes put under tap and wash off using a old tooth brush To get in the corners exceptionally good for cleaning oil out of cracks before glueing up
I have done heaps of wooden stocks and never had a problem you will want a pair of gloves as it can effect skin then leave in the sun to dry hardly ever do a 2nd coat
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2020 at 11:13pm
wrap it in paper towles and black plastic bag and set it direct sunlight that will sweat out quite a bit without the caustic chemicals ...just an idea 
pan957 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pan957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2020 at 9:00am
Oven cleaner is not recommended because if you do not remove it all it will attack and corrode gun metal after assembly. One of the main ingredients is lye. It has a tendency to destroy wood fibers because of its harsh chemical action. It's quick, easy and a lot of folks have good results but that one time it goes bad is not worth taking the chance. I have $275 in replacement 75 year old stock wood in this project. To me it's not worth taking a chance.
pan957
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2020 at 3:27pm
Any chemical cleaner, either a strong base (caustic, like oven cleaner) or acid (like citric acid) are great for removing oil. BUT, when you use one, once you feel it is clean enough, you must nuetralize with the other. I have done a few stocks that were really goobered up with oil and used a plastic tote filled with water. Applied oven cleaner and scrubbed until the water was oily oily and the stock looked nice. Empty tote, fill up with water, and put the stock in. Add vinegar until the water hits a pH of around 7. (I use the old litmus paper.) Remove from water, rinse, and let dry. You will need to hit it with steel wool after as the wood will have whiskered. A bonus is, some of the little dings should have come out while in the bath!
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2020 at 7:16pm
I just checked the pH of oven cleaner. Very caustic... 13'ish on the pH scale. Vinegar is about 2.5 on the acidic side. Either one will bleach the wood so don't leave it in to long. 
pisco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pisco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2020 at 12:38am
as I said I have never had a problem i do give The wood a good soaking when I wash off and scrub 
I have done a lot of stock repairs and I can back it up I use a cheap Coles brand oven cleaner
shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2020 at 3:14pm
I use aborball its like kitty litter for absorbing oil leaks on your garage floor.
Make trough big enough so you can bury the wood with the stuff.
If its hot enough out side in the sun everthing will warm up and as the oils etc oozes out of the wood the absorb all wicks it away.
Ive used this many times with good resaults.
No chemicals or water involved, woods biggest enemy!
Just my 2c's,
Lead from the front; eliminate all obstacles...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic