Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Gunsmithing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

...waiting on a barrel...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ...waiting on a barrel...
    Posted: June 25 2020 at 5:34pm
I decided to desporterize my 7.62 converted  No4Mk2 Maltby ,kinda. I found a complete No4Mk2 walnut furniture set with an unissued brass buttplate and I finally get to use my Cabela's Multi Turret 3-12×40 rifle scope. I ordered yet another 2A1 7.62mm Ishapore barrel from Numrich. There is a possibility of a 3 month wait time before it is shipped. I have the furniture fitted as well as the scope being fitted to CZ550 High scope rings.
Just waiting on a barrel now. 
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2020 at 5:37pm
I love the look of walnut! My favorite by far.
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2020 at 5:41pm
The gentleman I bought it from had stated that it has been treated with alot of BLO but has a distinct smell of Creosote.  I really like how dark it is and intend to keep it as dark as possible...
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2020 at 7:02pm
I’m curious of what the 2A1 barrel weight is.  Can you weight it before you install it.  
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2020 at 8:23pm
I will weigh it as soon as I get the front and rear sight assemblies off of it. Which reminds me. If anybody wants the front and rear sight pieces let me know.
englishman_ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2020 at 8:35am
Is the rear sight graduated any differently to that on a 303?

I got me a brand spanking Criterion barrel. They tend to be a pricey by the time one gets them up into Canada. 
I saw one up for grabs and I could not let it pass. Not sure as to what I am going to do with it at this point. It is for a No.4 rifle.

What is involved in the installation of the 2A1 barrel to your Maltby? Setting it back half a thread so that the extractor ramp and sights align? 
I have done a barrel change going the other way, fitting a No.4 barrel to a Sht.LE. Equivalent to an H barrel.

A bare Criterion barrel weighs in at 1150g.
Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2020 at 8:54am
I have never bothered to check in all honesty.  I will typically knock the sight bases off the barrel, re-index it to mate up to the No4 receiver and go from there. My No5Mk1 with the 7.62 Ishy barrel has a Mk1 rear sight graduated to 1300 yards though.
This rebuild has PH sight bases. The rear sight base utilizes the existing axis pin holes and the front sight base requires one hole to be drilled out and tapped. The scope rings are Bisely HTO75 ,used mainly on CZ550 rifles. 
Whitjr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2020 at 3:36am
It will look great!  The dark of the walnut is dramatic.  Looking forward to seeing it when done.  My No1 is of the same walnut, and i’m very happy with it.

I am joined here since late 2018, and really do not know much about many other members on the forum. You must have quite the shop to be able to accomplish the rifle work that you do.  Are you a professional gunsmith?

britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2020 at 5:55am
Originally posted by englishman_ca englishman_ca wrote:

I got me a brand spanking Criterion barrel. They tend to be a pricey by the time one gets them up into Canada. 

A bare Criterion barrel weighs in at 1150g.

That’s 2 lbs 8 oz, the weight of the No. 4 service barrel (as it should be).  I’ve also got a new Criterion barrel, I’m holding it as a spare for future replacement.  I got the one with the breeching washers, wasn’t sure if the barrel would index correctly w/o them.  

Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2020 at 8:32am
Thank you for the compliment Whitjr.
My shop as I refer to it consists of a patio and my kitchen countertop. I have a mini lathe, a wire feed welder,a dremel tool, and a huge assortment of various tools from a time long ago when I was an ASE and Five Star certified automotive technician for Chrysler. I did apprentice gunsmithing in my very early twenties at the same time time I started working for Chrysler but the need to keep me fed and clothed led me to pursue the path of a mechanic fulltime and tinker with gunsmithing when time allowed.  Such is the case now. I have been tinkering with the No4 Enfield for just over 34 years now and still learning as I go...
Whitjr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2020 at 10:02am
pretty amazing work from the kitchen countertop and patio...

And I know about that pesky thing called “Making A Living” as well. I had to make a similar sacrifice many years ago, became a Respiratory therapist 39 years ago from a similar need.

Now, am retired after 34 years of “time in grade” as my Dad used to call it.  Well, five years ago I retired.  Now, I am concentrating on a second career of writing and getting published nationally.  Got two books out, one about the war in Vietnam, and one about more contemporary times.  Will just have to wait and see about the national thing.

Your rifles always seem t have the “pro” look about them.

englishman_ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2020 at 3:58pm
Wow! you have a patio and a kitchen in your workshop??!!

Good show! Beer fridge and bar?
Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic