Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Hunting with the .303 British cartridge.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Got my deer licenses!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Got my deer licenses!
    Posted: June 26 2020 at 11:32am
Found out the results of the draw on my deer applications today. For East River Deer I scored an Any Deer license and for West River Deer I scored an Any Whitetail license. I am excited about this as I have not gotten a buck license in years. Now I just got to figure out which rifle to use for deer season this fall. I used my M1917 last year but I think I will use a No 4 this year. Since I still need to sight it in for me I was thinking of using the Maltby No 4 that I got from A Square. Decisions, decisions LOL
Stumpkiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stumpkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2020 at 7:24pm
Good luck!

Who knew NY was more lenient to hunters than South Dakota?  We get the basic firearm buck licenses by default (well, at the basic license price) and have to use a lottery system by unit for the antlerless category.  Bow and Muzzleloader licenses are either sex.
Charlie P.

Life is not about how fast you run, or how high you climb, but how well you bounce.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2020 at 7:50pm
good for you , go get em , im happy for you , ive often wondered at this lottery system , seems there are plenty of deer and a limited number of hunters that get them every year , i think more are killed by cars than harvested in the season , the cost of that should allow for a few more licences , but then im just one that harvested with my car - and paid a lot for that encounter , shoot straight and take what they allow - i always live within the law 
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2020 at 8:12pm
We can put in for six different unit areas but do not get two different hunt licenses when drawn.  I put in for the same unit six times but two separate hunt dates and will find out if I got drawn in about three more weeks..
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2020 at 6:33am
For rifle we have a 2 week hunt.(1 week rifle for moose). We have to apply for antlerless in our various WMU (wildlife management unit) I can find out on 1 July if I was successful with an antlerless or not.
With elk they define an area WEST of hwy # 127 within WMU # 57 as a "no tag" area. West side of hwy#127 (where we are) there are tags available.(But try to get one!! )
Loose wimmen tightened here
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2020 at 6:53am
In my part of the country for the last 7 years it's been one tag. Prior to last year it was bucks only. Before that we could theoretically buy a archery, black powder, rifle, and antlerless (use any season) for a total of four. We had a couple of harsh winter's, so animal numbers declined but have come roaring back! I'm not sure what will be available for this upcoming season.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2020 at 11:24am
I just bought an Excaliber crossbow (just to get better odds)
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2020 at 2:24am
I just found out that my dad also got his licenses, same type and units as mine. So after a long hiatus on doing this we will be doing the father-son deer hunt thing again. I'm more excited about that. I don't get to spend as much time with my dad as I used to so this should be a fun hunt this fall.
303 Hunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303 Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2020 at 11:27am
I won’t get draw results until July 5 or 7. But I do intend to buy a whitetail tag.
Good luck to all!
The Lee Enfield is to the Canadian north what the Winchester repeater was to the American west.   Cal Bablitz
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2020 at 3:20pm
In Manitoba, Canada, the earliest you can hunt whitetails starts with bow hunting, mid August. This is a long season that if you want to use a bow and arrow, is valid until rifle season ends in late November. Mind you, once black powder season starts in mid October, archery hunters must don orange. Usually the second week of November following black powder season, rifle season starts. Me and my buddies got three nice whitetails last year and I'm down to about 5 lbs of homemade sausage left. Can't wait!
303 Hunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303 Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2020 at 2:26pm
The draw results were released on July 7th and I drew a bull elk tag and a bull moose tag so I'm really excited for this hunting season.
Question; are woodleigh 174 grain bullets good enough for them or should I go heaver?
The Lee Enfield is to the Canadian north what the Winchester repeater was to the American west.   Cal Bablitz
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2020 at 3:06pm
There is not a beast that roams North America (including Polar Bears) that the combination you mention would be considered under-gunned. Shot placement and knowing the limits in regards to distance for the combination will ensure a clean, ethical kill.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2020 at 3:07pm
As far as, will a 174grn projectile take down an elk or moose? Certainly, with a very well placed heart/lung shot or an outright head shot. 174/180 grn 30-31 caliber projectiles will do what they were intended to do. If you have any doubts about your shooting capabilities and need a backup contingency, use a 215grn Woodleigh RN for those hard to reach places.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2020 at 5:58am
I've shot moose with 180. No problem there at all.
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2020 at 12:11pm
I can't even imagine bagging a moose. That is one big critter!
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2020 at 5:54pm
dont see many moose here less you go a good deal north of here , but every so often one strays south , thats a big target and a lot of meat 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic