Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reloading > Reloading .303 British
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Woodleigh 215 gr hydrostatic

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Woodleigh 215 gr hydrostatic
    Posted: June 27 2020 at 3:21pm
I was wondering if any of our Canadian hunters knew if a Woodleigh 215 gr hydrostatic stabilized .303 round, although called a solid round, is leagal to hunt with? In Manitoba, are regs say no a FMJ on big game. Thanks!
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2020 at 4:59pm
I couldn't find that info in my BC hunting synopsis book.
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2020 at 5:01pm
They are a solid core bullet and States that in their advertising along with cross sectional diagrams. If there are no regulations or restrictions stating otherwise against the use of a solid core bullet,I would say fo for it...
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2020 at 5:24pm
That's a lot of knock down power! I must start loading my 200 grain hard cast/GC pills I got from a buddy a few years ago.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2020 at 5:56pm
I did some unorthodox testing with my 215grn RN Woodleigh. 
Set a 12"×12" 1/8" metal plate on a piece of plywood and then put two honey baked hams against the plate and then sandwiched those in with one more 1/8" plate. One shot at 100 yards and the bullet went through both plates and the second ham looked like it went through  a wood chipper.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2020 at 7:04pm
Wow! Goosic, what powder load did you use? Any idea of ft/sec? Maybe 2000? That sounds like a brush busting combo! (What did you do with the ham?)
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2020 at 8:21pm
My daughter actually stuffed a case full of FFFG and then seated the 215 on top if it. The chronograph showed 1866 fps. We made sandwiches with the left over meat...
303 Hunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303 Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2020 at 12:02pm
That some penetration!
Alberta does not allow the use of non expanding bullets for hunting big game but I still might pickup some as rumour has it there are some ice age animals still living deep in the forests of B.C. 😏
The Lee Enfield is to the Canadian north what the Winchester repeater was to the American west.   Cal Bablitz
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2020 at 12:55pm
303hunter....them is mine, lol! OK, I'll share as we westerners need to stick together. I hear Brontosaurus ribs are excellent eating but you might need a forklift to maneuver them onto the BBQ.
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2020 at 1:37pm
You will need a big pot to marinate them in first.

The liver makes great pate!
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic