Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Gunsmithing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brand New Mk III* Foreend

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brand New Mk III* Foreend
    Posted: June 29 2020 at 4:55pm
I took delivery of a newly manufactured Mk III* foreend from Prestigious Wood Stocks up in Drayton Valley, Alberta, Canada. I got one of the B grade foreends, so it has a couple very small chips on a couple edges that are barely noticeable. The price was such that I thought it worth a try. With shipping it ended up being $74 US. This foreend is beefy. It's going to take some work to fit and profile it down but so far I like what I see. The only thing I would say may be a shortcoming is that it does not have the brass wire run through the rear. Other than that it sure looks right.

The company also lists Mk III handguards, No 4 furniture and No 5 furniture. This is all new made and prices don't seem bad to me.

Please note I have no affiliation with Prestigious Wood Stocks. I am a customer only and this is my first delivery from them.

A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 7:06pm
nice - NOS or new made ? 
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 7:19pm
Very nice! Lots of work ahead!
WilliamS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WilliamS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by A square 10 A square 10 wrote:

nice - NOS or new made ? 
  New with very nice wood - they are the place I got my No4 forend and a full MkIII set.
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 10:27pm
A Square, this is newly made and quite nice. I plan to put this on my 1906 to get her serviceable and make a recommendation to them to look into Mk I timber.
WilliamS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WilliamS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2020 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by Bear43 Bear43 wrote:

A Square, this is newly made and quite nice. I plan to put this on my 1906 to get her serviceable and make a recommendation to them to look into Mk I timber.

I've chatted with him about MkI and M1 carbine wood - he is open to anything but needs a pattern to copy first.
pisco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pisco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 12:39am
nice I like that
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 1:57pm
That looks like very good value for money. 
For the brass wire across the rear, you could thread a piece of brazing rod and fit it in place. should be easy to do.
Please update us of progress; any details on fitting up etc.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 2:55pm
Once I start fitting it I will provide updates. I ordered a set of handguards too, after seeing what the foreend was like. I'm still waiting for those to clear Customs yet.
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 3:12pm
This looks nice Bear.  Pleas do let us know how it fits.  I’m not familiar with fitting the forend on a No. 1, but have been successful with the No. 4. Does this guy make wood sets for the No. 4?  
WilliamS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WilliamS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 3:18pm
He does. This is a Prestigious forend.

303 Hunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303 Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 3:24pm
They make stock sets for the No.1 mk III, the No.5 carbine and upper and lower forestock for the No.4 mk I.
You beat me to it WillianS.
The Lee Enfield is to the Canadian north what the Winchester repeater was to the American west.   Cal Bablitz
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 3:30pm
All 5 of my No. 4 rifles are Mk 2’s, or 1/2 and 1/3.  I could modify them, but would be great if he made a Mk 2 forend.  It looks good!
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 4:52pm
I believe these new wood sets originally were being produced by Ralph Shaw in the Yukon. If I got the story right, he sold all his equipment to this Alberta gentleman.
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2020 at 6:14am
Bear,

The inletting looks very crisp.   Outside you have wood to remove as you say, but that's not bad compared to the inside!
How does it fit as it came?

Drayton Valley is not too far from us.  Never knew they were made that close. 
The brass wire does turn up at times...
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2020 at 11:23am
I haven't tried seating my 1906 in it yet so I can't comment on that at the moment. The inletting is very nice and needs a small amount of cleanup. I did notice the channel for the rear band is a tad narrow but I've seen that on NOS pieces before too. Nothing a little judicious filing won't take care of.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic