Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reloading > Reloading .303 British
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New brass

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New brass
    Posted: July 03 2020 at 11:42am
I have a question for fellow reloaders. It pertains to all new brass, but PPU in particular. I've got a bag of 100 new ones. Does anybody prep new brass? (run it thru the sizing dies, chamfer/deburr, etc?) I got in the habit of doing so when I got a bag of Winchester brass and one out of five had the necks kind of pushed in. Thanking in advance...
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2020 at 1:12pm
I usually chamfer & deburr the case mouth, but only if it needs it.
I do NOT trim. I've found that brand new cases often actually shorten on fire forming for the first time!
I do run the primer pocket uniformer/flash hole de-burring tool.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2020 at 1:30pm
Thanks Shamu. I thought maybe my process with new brass was a bit of over-kill!
shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2020 at 1:57pm
I use ppu virgin brass and always size before first use, just because I dont trust that they are all uniform and within spec.
Then check length, primer pocket and flash hole.
Reload and go boom.
Lead from the front; eliminate all obstacles...
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2020 at 2:48pm
 I will typically neck size new brass to be sure the case necks are consistent and round.  Sometimes you will see deformed mouths, dings, etc.  Then inside chamfer the mouth and uniform primer pocket depth. 

F/L sizing is also fine, but I have not had the need to do so (chambers will most likely be larger than the new cases).  Agree with Shamu, don’t trim, unless you are particular about having a uniform case length. 

303Guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2020 at 6:22pm
A while ago I loaded up some new Winchester or PPU brass and headed off to the range.  I also a new powder thereby introducing a new variable.  Well, accuracy was terrible.  I had one or two left over rounds which I checked for run out.  The run out was visible just by rolling the cartridges.  

So, my modus operandi now is to expand the necks of new cases in stages and rotating them as I do.  I have a two step expander that I made.  This keeps them concentric and minimizes neck expansion on seating the bullets.  Too tight a neck will result in excessive expansion on seating which will most likely be uneven.

My normal reloading practice is to minimally size the necks without an expander ball.  I can do these things having as it is, a lathe.
303Guy
Charlie Gillman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Gillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2020 at 6:03pm
I run all new brass, not just .303 through a full length sizing die to uniform the case necks and shoulder dimensions. I check for length, trim if necessary, then chamfer the inner and outer mouth. Never had a problem with new cases, been doing it this way since 1974. Accuracy has always been good. The old gentleman that taught me reloading said that even new brass needs sizing. 
Gill
Stumpkiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stumpkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2020 at 6:48pm
I deburr the primer vent, neck ream, neck size it and load it.
Charlie P.

Life is not about how fast you run, or how high you climb, but how well you bounce.
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2020 at 5:51am
I’ve not used any Winchester brass, but I’ve got several batches of PPU on the go.  It’s been excellent, no runout issues and very good accuracy.  I neck sized them with the Lee Collet die prior to loading the new brass, and subsequent neck sizing until I feel resistance in fully closing the bolt, then that batch gets a “Partial Length” resize. 

Now that the cases are fire formed to your chamber, you might want to just neck size.  

Try to set the bullet into the case mouth as vertical as you can.  Also, I found that raising the press ram  gently at first so that the bullet lightly contacts the bullet seating stem, then gently lower/raise the ram lightly tapping the bullet on the seating stem a few times, then seat the bullet. This seams to get the bullet aligned better with the case.  

What bullet and powder/charge were you using?  

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2020 at 7:20am
Winchester is my least preferred brass brand. PPU is right up there with HXP for the No1 slot.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic