Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Accessories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Guess what I just bought?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Guess what I just bought?
    Posted: July 21 2020 at 11:48am
I just couldn't resist at this price!
I can't wait to see the expressions when I unlimber this in the SMLE at the 25 yd indoor range!
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 12:14pm
I took my No4 with the 22 liner to the range and I purposely brought some CB's as well. I had my teenager shooting when the Range Master and three other guys showed up. One guy just had to know how I was getting a 303 to go PFFT. They were amazed when my kid pops a 22 cartridge in it and made it go, PFFT again. It's a definite conversation starter...
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 12:41pm
One day I will have some that shoot .22. Just seems like it would be a hoot.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 12:59pm
You have a sledgehammer of a rifle and yet, when you pull the trigger,the sound is quieter then a pellet rifle...
The Armourer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Armourer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 1:39pm
I was at the range one day having taken my No1 Mk3, the No4 Mk1*, the No5 M1 and the No7 Mk1

I'd been firing the 303's for some time and decided to switch over to the No7, the range officer called for a cease fire, as I was wondering what was going on he came up to me and asked me to put the rifle down as I had a failure to fire / misfire.

O' how we laughed when I showed him the rounds it was firing.

At least on the 100 yard range, you pull the trigger, have time to go and get a cup of tea and a sticky-bun and still be back in time to see the impact.

Happy days !

WilliamS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WilliamS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 2:20pm
Very nice! Excited to hear how it shoots.  I've been eyeing those for a while but haven't been able to make myself take the plunge for the Numrich ones without knowing the quality.  And of course the original aiming tubes are scarce as hobby horse poop.
shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 3:01pm
Been looking for one for a while now, cant seem to find one up here.
Luv shooting 22, my mauser clone's a hoot, my No. Iwould be better.
Lead from the front; eliminate all obstacles...
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 4:21pm
I have some standard velocity & some high velocity CCI's.
The difference is very noticeable in my 10-22. I remember the Std velocity were darn near as quite as I remembered the P-H "sound Moderator" being?
Poot!
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
englishman_ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2020 at 8:20am
These are a clever idea and a throw back to the days of Morris tubes.

Shamu, did you have need to modify the bolt head to get the thing to head space?

I have one of these kits, brand spanking new in unused condition. Problem is that the rim on the chamber insert part is 90 thou thick. So I would need to take close to 30 thou off the bolt head before I can expect a bolt to close. Hence probably the reason why the unit is still unused. It won't fit! 

Too much metal somewhere. Can't shave the rim down due to the extractor claw cut out and set up.

I did read on Numrich's site at one time that they recommend that these be fitted and head spaced by a gunsmith. Hmmmm.

Just for my ref, could you measure your bolt head length for me, please?
Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2020 at 8:23am
As soon as It arrives I'll do just that.
I believe they were unissued & so had to be headspaced.
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2020 at 6:59pm
They are fun  I got one  a few years ago and I put it in a shot out SMLE, It has a decided liking for 22 Shorts however
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2020 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by englishman_ca englishman_ca wrote:

These are a clever idea and a throw back to the days of Morris tubes.

Shamu, did you have need to modify the bolt head to get the thing to head space?

I have one of these kits, brand spanking new in unused condition. Problem is that the rim on the chamber insert part is 90 thou thick. So I would need to take close to 30 thou off the bolt head before I can expect a bolt to close. Hence probably the reason why the unit is still unused. It won't fit! 

Too much metal somewhere. Can't shave the rim down due to the extractor claw cut out and set up.

I did read on Numrich's site at one time that they recommend that these be fitted and head spaced by a gunsmith. Hmmmm.

Just for my ref, could you measure your bolt head length for me, please?
If it matters ar all englishman_ca, my bolthead for my No4 that I modified measures at 0.597".
englishman_ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2020 at 7:43am
No, that does help, Goosic. Thank you.

It confirms my suspicions that my bolt head length will need to be reduced dramatically. The bolt head that was supplied with it is unused and over sized, as the factory spares were. 

The seller said that he tried it with a C No.7 bolt in a No.4 and it worked fine. I think that he might be confusing it with another rifle, I tried and a C No.7 extractor will not work with this insert's extractor slot. So I removed the extractor from the bolt head to take that out of the equation...still would not close.

It'll be another winter project for when I get my guns out of storage. I will watch with interest to see how well Shamu's tube works out. 

If these are crap, I will likely cut it up and use the liner tube (that's all it is) for another project. Problem is, I don't know who made the tube and how good accuracy wise. The materials  and workmanship looks well executed, but Numrich could be getting their supplies from any corner of the globe.

Not retailed by other stores that I have noticed. I wonder where these were made. Off shore or a workshop at Numrich to use up a pile of liners and bolts?
Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2020 at 8:57am
I had to turn the face of the bolthead down in my lathe until I got it to close. The hardest part was reworking the bolthead to accept the offset firing pin however. The extractor I use now is a modified No4 as well. For me, the most disheartening part of the fitting up was refacing and modifying a perfectly good #3 bolthead. It is all I had at that time.
As far as accuracy goes? It will get the job done with no issues. I use subsonic loads,(440 fps) @ 25 yards on my home built patio target range and I can fill out a two inch circle fairly easy with it...
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 10:48am
Well, the bolt, head, barrel & hex nut arrived in the little wooden tray.

It has definitely been fitted to a rifle at some time there are the remains of Sharpie on the rear face of the bolt's locking shoulders, bolt face & in a couple of other places.

The firing pin is the 2-part type & the bolt body & rib has some minor pitting. Nothing to worry about. The cocking piece has a “Broad Arrow” lightly elector-penciled onto it & the number “262”. The bolt head may have been re-drilled but it it was it was very neatly done because I cant see signs of it.

Bolt handle has a serial number on the rear face “82657” & the assembly numberL 4212” on the bottom.

The barrel unit is a dummy chamber with a rifled tube, the rifling is in very nice condition, but it has definitely been fired as there is residue in the bore, chamber & groove for the rim. It seems completely unmarked except for a tiny & very lightly struck “18” just at the junction of chamber & barrel proper. It has a hex nut for securing it at the muzzle end.

Head-spacing looks much simpler than I thought. The “breech” is recessed for the rim, as long as the bolt closes fully when fitted we should be good to go.

One odd thing, which may just be a feature of the .22 bolt assy is that when in the “closed & locked” position the striker & cocking piece are about 1 ¼ turn backed off from fully forward! I don't know if this is just replacing the stop collar, which the striker doesn't seem to have per se in it 2 piece RF configuration. Firing pin protrusion looks normal & the front section is free floating with no binding or snagging.

Can anyone confirm this either way?

I have NOT tried fitting to my rifle at this point as everything has been given a good clean & is soaking up a little oil overnight.

I'll get a bunch of pictures tomorrow as well.

Doco Overboard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doco Overboard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 4:50pm
I have one of the 22 cal kits for a no 1 rifle.
It's in a wooden tray with bolt, hex nut tube and modified bolt head.
It appears to never have been fitted to a rifle or used and I think it's one of the GPC/Numrich kits from some time ago.
I don't know if Ill ever get around to fitting it and not sure what to do with it.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic