Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Identify rifle help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canadianfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Identify rifle help
    Posted: July 22 2020 at 9:44am
Could you folks help me identify this rifle, had for 40 years and never fired. Cleaned up well and will attempt to attached photo's.

Stay Safe
Tonsper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonsper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 7:37pm
Welcome from northern BC. Where in the great white north are you?

This rifle appears to be a sporterized Lee-Enfield No1 Mk III* made by Birmingham Small Arms Co. in England at about the end of WW I. Someone has previously cut off the wood furniture which went to near the end of the barrel and removed the upper handguards. There appears to be some indication of a factory thorough repair (FTR) probably in 1944. On the bottom of the rear sight, there may be a serial number but some of these or the barrel may have been changed during the FTR. The two holes on the top of the receiver ring take it out of the collector category and into the hunting gun category. Others might have more to add but this is a start
Waiting for first light. Shook hands with the devil.
canadianfireman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canadianfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 9:39am
Thank you for your assistance. We live west of Calgary, AB. Been avid hunter and sportsman for over 45 years, still enjoy getting out. Was up in Williams Lake last week, nice country.
Stay Safe
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 3:49pm
The locals call Williams Lake 'willy's puddle', LOL. Welcome to the site, enjoy!
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
303 Hunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303 Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 6:16pm
Welcome from East Central, Alberta
The Lee Enfield is to the Canadian north what the Winchester repeater was to the American west.   Cal Bablitz
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2020 at 3:11pm
Welcome from Brandon, Manitoba, Canada! Nice rifle. I love Sporters!
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 12:23pm
On the third photo above; of the wrist. Please can you tell us what is stamped below the III* stamp?
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 5:11pm
I think I see "T.R." which would be nice!
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
The Armourer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Armourer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 12:47am
Originally posted by Shamu Shamu wrote:

I think I see "T.R." which would be nice!

I pretty sure that the selection process for No1 rifles was very different to that for No4's and I don't think that the TR was used on the No1T.

Mind you, I have only ever seen two No1T's (and they were Lithgows) so it may be as per the old Enfield saying, "never say never"
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 6:58am
I didn't say it was I just commented on what the stamp looked like.
OK Its "FTR" with the "F very lightly struck.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 11:07am
Probably FTR with a barrel date of 1944. It looks to be in nice condition for a sporter.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 12:55pm
Possibly, but with a pre 68 import stamp we'll never know for sure.
canadianfireman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canadianfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 8:22am
Thank you for all your assistance. The stamp appears to be T.R.

T.R.

See photo attached.

Stay Safe
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 10:33am
Originally posted by canadianfireman canadianfireman wrote:

Thank you for all your assistance. The stamp appears to be T.R.

T.R.

See photo attached.

If you look closer,you can see where the R was double struck and you can just make out where the F used to be and there is a dot stamp to the left of the T as well. The sanding marks run right over the remaining letters.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 3:09pm
There's a very faint mis struck "F".
Its not a bad thing BTW. Most rifles of that are are FTR, sometimes more than once!
It just means completely factory re-built to like new.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 7:45pm
isnt that FR an indian mark as oppsed to the commonwealth FTR ? just asking , i got no references at hand at the moment , but i see what is being discussed as well 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic