Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LB No 4 1* Markings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3oh3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LB No 4 1* Markings
    Posted: August 08 2020 at 5:33am
First of all, thanks for having me. I hear there's some wizards here when it comes to Enfield ID. Picked up this 1944 Longbranch No 4 1* recently and would appreciate anything you can tell me about it. Happy to provide more photos/info if needed. Lot's of 'B' 's stamped everywhere.
Cheers!

A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2020 at 4:15pm
looks nice from what i can see , is it intact ? 
the LB stamps are correct for longbranch so ill guess its all there and all correct , someone might see more to add but for now its what i can readily see , 
3oh3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3oh3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2020 at 6:26pm
It certainly looks like a nice one, although haven't had the chance to take it to the range yet :(
It unfortunately doesn't have a matching bolt, although that still has a LB serial, and the front barrel band is labelled as U.S. LTD, not sure what to make of that.
I'd love to know what the various letter stamps refer to. There appears to be some crown stamps on the bolt and barrel, does this refer to a visit to England?
Thanks again.
The Armourer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Armourer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2020 at 12:02am
ls as
Originally posted by 3oh3 3oh3 wrote:

It certainly looks like a nice one, although haven't had the chance to take it to the range yet :(
It unfortunately doesn't have a matching bolt, although that still has a LB serial, and the front barrel band is labelled as U.S. LTD, not sure what to make of that.
I'd love to know what the various letter stamps refer to. There appears to be some crown stamps on the bolt and barrel, does this refer to a visit to England?
Thanks again.

The 2.22" and 18.5 tons are UK Civilian Proof markings ( a legal requirement for any civilian firearm) so it was 'sold out of service' into the UK Civilian gun trade before being purchased by an importer and shipped to Aus.

The other possibility is that as an (ex) UK colony Australia may 'demand' (require) firearms to be prooved to the same levels as the UK, it could have been that the Australian importer had it (and its mates) prooved before having it shipped to ease entry into Aus.
Just speculation as I don't know Aus firearms laws.

With a mismatched bolt it could be worth getting some engineers-blue and marking the locking lugs, cycle the bolt a few times and see if the marking wears off evenly or unevenly. If the wear is uneven it means that the locking lugs are not correctly engaging and most of the load is taken on one lug (which is not a nice scenario and bad things can happen).

With the Lee Enfields the bolts had to be individually FITTED to the rifle (fitting means engineering work, grinding, etc) they are not just pick up any old bolt and 'plug & play'
3oh3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3oh3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2020 at 2:09am
Cheers mate, much appreciated.
The longer lug appears to wear a bit more than the short one (area 3 to 2 maybe?), what is considered acceptable?
Cyclone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyclone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2020 at 5:30am
Hi mate, 
Nice rifle. I recently picked up a Maltby made No4 and it too has the stock band marked as US Ltd. From what I can tell is U.S Ltd is Universal Stampings LTD which is a Birmingham company. 
Cheers 
Chris
3oh3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3oh3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2020 at 10:51pm
Thanks mate, appreciate the info!
Beautiful rifles, enjoy your Maltby!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2020 at 7:13am
As long as both are bearing you should be fine. "approximately even, equal contact" is the phrase.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2020 at 9:21am
Welcome from Brandon, Manitoba, Canada! It appears to be a very nice rifle!
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2020 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by 3oh3 3oh3 wrote:

Thanks mate, appreciate the info!
Beautiful rifles, enjoy your Maltby!

its a lonbranch receiver but do enjoy it , still like to see the rest of it 
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2020 at 5:15pm
It has a Savage made trigger guard. 
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 7:37pm
looks like a bantam buttstock but i may be wrong as im not sure stamping is in position for that - others will chime in , 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2020 at 8:50am
Mostly stamped on the upper rear of the stock, with a large letter, but I've heard of the stamps also being "on the wrist" but no exact position specified so its possible.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic