Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Bayonets
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Questions about accessories

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ragnaroni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Questions about accessories
    Posted: September 04 2020 at 9:24am
 he!!o, first post (of many without a doubt)! I have a really nice Canadian Long Branch Lee Enfield(no4 mk1* 1943) and since I've owned it for about 4 months I think its time to get some accessories for it, it didn't have anything just the gun. So I've found a decent site for stuff but I'm not 100% sure about the stuff. For starters, and this will probably be a silly question : they have a bayonet no4 mk2 will it work on my no4 mk1*? Second question : slings, I found that they have a web(?)/cloth pattern sling in khaki, made in England most likely(I'm not too picky about where) is that what would have issued at the time? What about leather slings? Which style was common for Canada? Third question : I also found a bunch of oilers that go in the butt of the stock, however they're made of plastic, is that what Canada used? One is a Parker and Hale made one, the others are no name it seems. 

On a complete side note, not even sure if I should ask here :D, I know that Canada made Lee Enfields through Long Branch and Australia did through Lithgow, what about the other two, South Africa and New Zealand? What would the markings be for each nation? 

Thanks and greetings from Switzerland!
Sgtrick View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgtrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2020 at 11:29am
Greetings from saskatchewan canada.
I have an unissued 1950 longbranch. It came with a brass oiler and a web sling. Im assuming that its all correct.
I will be posting pictures in the near future.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2020 at 11:38am
Welcome from Brandon, Manitoba, Canada!
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2020 at 11:59am
There a a few bayonets that fit the No4 Enfield rifles.  The bayonet in the second photo is Long Branch made No4 MkII.  The sling would be the khaki web sling as well. The typical oiler would be the plastic one. All correct for the No4Mk1. The WWII wartime No4Mk1 Enfield rifles were produced by five facilities.  Maltby, Fazackerly,BSA,Long Branch, and Savage Stevens. Welcome from Phoenix Arizona 🤠
Ragnaroni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ragnaroni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2020 at 12:08pm
OK, I've read your messages and I really appreciate the responses! Good to know and I'll place an order some time next week :D! I could actually pick up a brass one!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2020 at 12:20pm
Welcome aboard.
Goosic & I were both posting at the same time & overlapped!
Clap
Any bayonet type for a No4 Rifle will fit all other No4 rifles ,Mk1, Mk1* Mk1/2 or Mk1/3.
Be aware though, that each item will have its own nomenclature, so makes sure its for a No4 Rifle, whatever mark of bayonet it is. No9Mk1 is the most "usual" one for example!

Bayonets for the No5 "Jungle Carbine" or for the earlier No1 rifles will not.
The easiest way to tell is to look at he the fitting. They are quite distinctly different. The one you want has a barrel socket. The ones with actual handles are (for the most part) for the earlier No1 rifles. Ones with a large ring at the cross guard are for the No5 (again for the most part.)
I apologize for all the "for the most part" comments but its because there is one oddball bayonet that has both a handle & a ring on the cross guard. Its the expensive, rare & impractical  "No7 Mk1 L" with the swiveling pommel!
Top, No7Mk1L,
Bottom more likely No9Mk1(blade)
"spike" bayonets in several marks will also fit.
The khaki (tan) web "frog" will be the more correct of the options, my green ones are for a later period in the '50's.

Canvas slings would be normal issue, leather was an earlier type for the No1 rifles again.
Oil bottles would be more by date than country. Early would be brass, middle black "bakelite " plastic & late clear, modern plastic. You also need a "pull through" it takes up the rest of the space in the butt trap!
If you intend to actually put oil in them avoid the black Bakelite. They all seem to have cracks & leak!
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Ragnaroni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ragnaroni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2020 at 12:30pm
By "pull-through" do you mean the little string?

Also, the store (its a militaria shop) shows a red oiler and a black oiler. Since its 3 euro a pop, I'll just buy two :D! I'm not planning on putting oil in them, it's just for you know, making the gun "complete". 

If it doesn't bother you, care to explain what is supposed to go in the butt stock?
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2020 at 3:03pm
The little string is the pull through.  It goes in last behind the oiler.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2020 at 6:55pm
yes the no4 mk2 is correct , the web sling is correct , the leather would predate the use but could be home guard , the brass and plastc oilers would have been in use in 43 and yes you need the pull through with the =weight neatly tucked in the hole provided in the lower part of the trap , 

the longbranch rifles were no4s the aussies made no 1 rifles , ill leave the SA to others more knowledgeable in that are , NZ would have used what the brits and aussies produced , 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2020 at 10:49am
I never heard of a red one. Black sounds like the "Bakelite" mentioned earlier.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2020 at 6:51pm
there were  both red and black - i had both - someone out there has what i had today tho ..........they were both bakelite , much like the two no7 bayos some are easier to find than others , both would be correct for the 43 era 
Ragnaroni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ragnaroni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2020 at 8:33am
Thanks for the tips!
devrep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote devrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by Goosic Goosic wrote:

There a a few bayonets that fit the No4 Enfield rifles.  The bayonet in the second photo is Long Branch made No4 MkII.  The sling would be the khaki web sling as well. The typical oiler would be the plastic one. All correct for the No4Mk1. The WWII wartime No4Mk1 Enfield rifles were produced by five facilities.  Maltby, Fazackerly,BSA,Long Branch, and Savage Stevens. Welcome from Phoenix Arizona 🤠
so the south african bayo at the bottom of your pic, were these ever used by the military?  I really like this design although short.  plus you said my rifle has a south african stamp (: 

it reminds me of a knife I have that was made in England between 1830 and 1860.
double gun
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by devrep devrep wrote:

Originally posted by Goosic Goosic wrote:

so the south african bayo at the bottom of your pic, were these ever used by the military?  I really like this design although short.  plus you said my rifle has a south african stamp (: 

it reminds me of a knife I have that was made in England between 1830 and 1860.
As far as I know, they were used by the South African army and police force and to some extent, still are. The blade was made by Armscor and utilized an Uzi bayonet blade...
devrep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote devrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 4:49pm
cool.  hey the mark on my rifle that says it was in south africa, does that mean the south african military used it or was that a civilian import mark or something?   thanks.
double gun
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 5:00pm
that bayonet with the wood scales is something someone made from a P1888 bayonet and was never intended for either the mkI , III or the no4 , it predates all of them to the long lees , im not sure but suspect it might qualify as "trench art" or service application of need  , someone's fighting knife , 

might have south african history to the earlier or boer wars tho , could actually have some value in those 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic