Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bayonet for P1853

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USAF Sarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bayonet for P1853
    Posted: September 28 2020 at 4:08pm
I apologize in advance, apparently I posted this in the wrong section/area, and didn't catch it. It would seem I need to go back to school and learn to read. If it can be moved I would be highly appreciative.

I had a bayonet arrive today for my P1853 1863 Snider-Enfield. The rifle is an Afghanistan being back, but it isn't a Khyber Pass copy.

Link to the original post on the rifle from a few years back.

https://www.enfield-rifles.com/1863-snider-enfield_topic8223.html

Any ways the bayonet fits perfectly and looks great on the end of the rifle. Couldn't be happier with it. After I cleaned it up a bit I was able to make out W A with a B 54 beneath that. My limited internet search turned up a possible match to a R & W A or Richard & William Aston made bayonet. The B 54 being the Birmingham Inspection mark. 

Now the absence of the Crown above the B 54. Does that mean it was supplied to a Non Military British entity, such as one of her many Colonial countries or something along those lines?

Do you think the marking is what's left of a R & W A marking?

Now I just need to get a proper sling for her and she'll be complete.

Here's a shot of the markings on my bayonet

Here's a crisp shot of R & W A markings borrowed from the internet.

Here's a shot of it installed. 

Overall shot of the old girl with her bayonet. Pic taken inside due to rain at the time. Excuse the unfinished work around the door. We are still in the middle of Hurricane Michael repairs, which came close to knocking us off the map.

Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2020 at 10:25am
It looks magnificent when fixed to the rifle!
According to "Worldbayonets" web site; the lack of crown markings could mean it was imported to the USA during the Civil War.
here's the link:
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2020 at 10:30am
that looks really nice , i have one sling left that you would be welcome to , PM me a shipping address and ill send it to you , 
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 5:08am
Very nice, Sarge.
It could have belonged to someone in the British Volunteer movement as well.
These are not marked with WD, broad arrow or anything either.

Best,
R.
USAF Sarge View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USAF Sarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by Pukka Bundook Pukka Bundook wrote:

Very nice, Sarge.
It could have belonged to someone in the British Volunteer movement as well.
These are not marked with WD, broad arrow or anything either.

Best,
R.

That makes a lot sense. I've seen more bayonets marked as Civil War used, then there were soldiers fighting in the Civil War, LOL.

Not that this one was marked as such. It's the hunt for answers that causes us to learn so much. 
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2020 at 12:26pm
I bought a similar enfield  bayonet 2 years ago at a local village "brocante" (like a communial garage sale) it was stuck on the end of a broom handle. It was not quite as nice as your one. But it was cheap.
Another guy was trying to reduce the price with the seller when I spotted it. He offered 2Euros and the seller wanted 3 Euros. He then offered 2.50 and the guy said no it's 3 Euros. The guy turned awayto think about it and I stepped up with 3 Euros and said, I'll have that for 3! 
I gave it to a neighbour who is interested in the local history. These bayonets where used here in France during the Franco-Prussian war of 1870. A major battle was fought in the locality.
Also earler this year I noticed that I have a similar spike bayonet sticking out of our barn wall. Just about 6" of the spike sticking out and the rest cemented into the stone work. Probably for hanging a feed bag for the horses back in the day.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2020 at 12:53pm
I was in my local gun shop earlier today getting gun blue and in a display case sits one of those bayonets and a 1907 bayonet with the hook thing and scabbard.  A price tag has the 1853 poker at $225.00 and the 1907 at $375.00. Is that the going price for those or is that an incredibly marked up price? 
On a similar topic, there is a well worn 1937 BSA No1Mk111 no star complete with a magazine cutoff plate for sale at a discounted price of $695.95
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2020 at 12:57pm
It expensive because its rare. Most of the "Hooked Quillions" were cut off once they figured out out was a pretty useless device.
You were supposed to catch your opponent's blade in the hook then twist yours so the hook broke his blade.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2020 at 12:59pm
Here's the bayonet in our barn wall. The barn was probably built late 19th century. It may not be an Enfield bayonet, but it's a similar triangular spike type. Probably a battlefield pick up from the Franco Prussian conflict.

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2020 at 1:26pm
It looks like it was inserted before the mortar dried & just left there to "set".
You could spin  a great yarn to the gullible like they did with Durendal in Rocamadour!

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2020 at 1:32pm
I only noticed what it was when redoing the stone wall surface this year.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USAF Sarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2020 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by Goosic Goosic wrote:

I was in my local gun shop earlier today getting gun blue and in a display case sits one of those bayonets and a 1907 bayonet with the hook thing and scabbard.  A price tag has the 1853 poker at $225.00 and the 1907 at $375.00. Is that the going price for those or is that an incredibly marked up price? 
On a similar topic, there is a well worn 1937 BSA No1Mk111 no star complete with a magazine cutoff plate for sale at a discounted price of $695.95

Yeah I see prices all over the map, all north of $100.00 some north of $200.00. So it's anyone's guess as to what they are worth.  I picked this one up for $75.00 plus shipping for a total of $93.00, which was still a lot cheaper than I was finding anywhere else. 

Only 4 more bayonets to find, and I'll be done. Which means I'll have to buy more rifles, so I can hunt for more bayonets.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USAF Sarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2020 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by Shamu Shamu wrote:

It looks like it was inserted before the mortar dried & just left there to "set".
You could spin  a great yarn to the gullible like they did with Durendal in Rocamadour!

I had to google this to read the story.......LOL!
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USAF Sarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2020 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by Goosic Goosic wrote:

Yes, sometimes people get an awesome deal and it looks like you did. Like the rilfe this bayonet is on, I picked it up for $240.00. So now I have $333.00 tied up in this complete set-up. A far cry from what most people end up having invested in a similar rifle set-up.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USAF Sarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2020 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by Zed Zed wrote:

Here's the bayonet in our barn wall. The barn was probably built late 19th century. It may not be an Enfield bayonet, but it's a similar triangular spike type. Probably a battlefield pick up from the Franco Prussian conflict.

This is what I miss about living in Europe, the history and the culture. 
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2020 at 11:23am
So what other bayonets are you looking for?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic