Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is the cutout on the stock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Potato749 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2020 at 12:35pm
Sorry about all that guys. I never got a notification that the post had been replied to. Mine looks as if you took the ears off and the notch cut out for the ears was left open. if i look at the exploded parts view I'm missing part #31. Any good places to find replacement ears?
WilliamS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WilliamS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2020 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by Potato749 Potato749 wrote:

Sorry about all that guys. I never got a notification that the post had been replied to. Mine looks as if you took the ears off and the notch cut out for the ears was left open. if i look at the exploded parts view I'm missing part #31. Any good places to find replacement ears?

I will look through my boxes to see if I have Australian made ears. Do you have the screw and nut to secure it?
Potato749 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Potato749 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2020 at 2:52pm
Unless they put the screw back in after they took the ears off I don't.
The Armourer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Armourer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2020 at 4:08pm

I think most of us guessed that from your description.

It does help if you can get to grips with Enfield terminology as totally different rifles can have very similar part numbers or names. One of the classic mistakes is to confuse :

No1 Mk3* and No3 Mk1*, 

At a quick glance the eye doesn't recognise the diffrence, unless you are looking for it.

Welome to the confusing world of the Lee Enfield.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2020 at 4:43pm
"...Welome to the confusing world of the Lee Enfield...." 

this is exactly what made me sell off my extensive US collection [1888-1950] of longarms and dive head long into this world , never quite got the heart to sell my handguns tho , but i did dive headlong into webley and enfield revolvers as well as the inglis pistols , 

i agree with armorer we all 'thought we knew what you meant' but had to point out the other common things that might get interpreted from your presentation , please know its done in good form intending to educate those that lurk and read but never post as much as to inspire further discussion of the topic , you provided the vehicle we just went for the ride , i think enjoyed by all , 

"...No1 Mk3* and No3 Mk1*, ..."  great example of the confusing things that come from misunderstanding the nomenclature nuances , when you post these two - side by side its quite evident but many would look at the words and say "what difference does it make" as hillary clinton mentioned about bengazi , but we all know exactly what difference it makes 
Potato749 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Potato749 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2020 at 4:52pm
Well i appreciate the education. I thought looking at the gun something was missing and as soon as someone mentioned the ears protecting the sight it all clicked.
WilliamS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WilliamS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2020 at 8:22pm

Unless they put the screw back in after they took the ears off I don't.

I will check to see if I have a spare set of those as well, I'll be back in town Tuesday and can look then. There are two  circular holes in the bottom of the forend, one just behind the outer barrel band and one about halfway between the outer band and the trigger guard. If the screw and bolt are still there, they'll be visible in the second, rearmost hole.
Potato749 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Potato749 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2020 at 8:44pm
I looked and there is a screw in that hole tightened to something.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 7:17am
Glad we got that sorted. No worries.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 5:35pm

Well i appreciate the education. I thought looking at the gun something was missing and as soon as someone mentioned the ears protecting the sight it all clicked.

on that happy note here is a very small education on the difference between the no1 mkIII* top photo bottom  rifle , and the no3 mkI* bottom photo bottom rifle 

all of the other rifles shown are different than the two called out and cited although the two top ones in the bottom photo are M1917s they are different in manufacturer and a couple other very subtle ways 
Potato749 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Potato749 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 5:53pm
I was going to say the #3 Mk 1 looks like the 1917 I have. Are they really  that different or is it just a naming thing between the British and Americans?
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2020 at 5:49am
They are completely different in almost every respect.
The Mi917 is usually chambered for "thuddy-ought-six" & the No1 MkIII for .Free Oh Free British.
The M1917 is a Mauser action, the No 1 Mk III is an Enfield action.
The M1917 is a one piece stock, the No1 MkIII is a 2-piece stock.
Pretty much nothing interchanges!
There is an over all similarity but its superficial, the full length wood is common to both but not interchangeably.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2020 at 3:56pm
to add to what shamu mentioned the M1917 is similarly different in cartridge to the P1914 - yes they look alike at first glance but no they are not , 

the P1914 in addition to being made in 303 british was made in commonwealth tradition as 'non-interchangeable' they are fitted as the no1 mkIII* is individually with bolt mated to the receiver , the M1917 was to be interchangeable per contract , although winchester had many issues with that and the stocks for the M1917 are not interchangeable with the P1914 
Potato749 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Potato749 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2020 at 4:19pm
So basically the bolt could only be replaced by an armorer?
The Armourer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Armourer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2020 at 12:29am

So basically the bolt could only be replaced by an armorer?

Very very few parts on a Lee Enfield No1 Mk3 are interchangeable without ''work'.

They were one of the last 'Victorian engineering' hand built rifles and parts were FITTED (fitted as in adjusted to fit each rifle).

This is why there are (should be) 6 parts of the rifle that should have all matching numbers. Each of these parts affects the functionality of the rifle and they are always kept together if the rifle is 'worked on'.

Nose piece
Forend
Rear sight bed / leaf
Barrel
Bolt 
Action

Bolts are very specific and you cannot just take any bolt and 'plug & play'. It is imperative that the two locking lugs on the bolt bear evenly with the two locking lugs in the action. It is these that are taking the 'tons' of pressure / recoil and if they are not evenly mated then one lug can take the recoil, and possibly shear off and then you have a bolt coming out the back of the rifle, at a fair rate of knots, heading straght for your head.

Bolts can be fitted correctly if you know what you are doing - its not that difficult you just need to have 'read the manual'.

Potato749 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Potato749 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2020 at 6:11pm
Okay. I assume you have to disassemble to check the number on the forearm. I don't see a number on the rear sight anywhere. Could it require some of the wood to be removed to see it?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic