Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1949 No.4, Mk2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote devrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1949 No.4, Mk2
    Posted: November 04 2020 at 1:29pm
some of you know I was looking at a 1944 No. 4, Mk 1/2 at a flea market and were helping educate me on what to check before purchasing.  the story I put in the other post, went back today with a bunch of tools to check it out and the vendor forgot to bring it back for me to look at.  probably thought I was just another tire kicker.

anyway, walked down the row in the flea market in disgust and about 10 tables away found this Mark 2.  Warning purists!
the previous owner had put a shiny poly finish on the furniture.  don't hate me.  Big smile   the story I got from this vendor was that it was the hunting rifle of a guy who passed away in his late 80's and family said he put the poly on to protect the wood from the florida climate.  believe me it is coming off asap.

guy was asking $360.00 but I messed with it so long looking it over and poking things in the barrel he got nervous and said gimme $300.00 and it's yours.  so I did.

comments and critique welcome.  remember I know nothing so happy to learn.
double gun
devrep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote devrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2020 at 1:30pm
double gun
devrep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote devrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2020 at 1:32pm
double gun
devrep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote devrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2020 at 1:33pm
double gun
devrep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote devrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2020 at 1:34pm
import marking I guess.

double gun
devrep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote devrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2020 at 1:35pm
double gun
devrep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote devrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2020 at 1:36pm
double gun
devrep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote devrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2020 at 1:37pm
double gun
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2020 at 1:38pm
You got that cheap! It looks pretty good. The finish on the wood isn't obnoxious so I would probably leave it for the time being. Just give her a good cleaning and see how she shoots.
devrep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote devrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2020 at 1:47pm
so, wood is not loose at all, nice preload in the barrel at the fore-end cap.  tried loading a few seconds of phone vid showing me pushing the muzzle end around with my thumb and index finger.  newb trying to check the barrel preload. can't get it to post.

double gun
devrep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote devrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2020 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by Bear43 Bear43 wrote:

You got that cheap! It looks pretty good. The finish on the wood isn't obnoxious so I would probably leave it for the time being. Just give her a good cleaning and see how she shoots.
he!! no, I hate home done glossy poly finishes.  I have a few double guns like that but they're factory finishes so I leave them.
double gun
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2020 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by devrep devrep wrote:

he!! no, I hate home done glossy poly finishes.  I have a few double guns like that but they're factory finishes so I leave them.

You have made a very decent purchase of a NoMk2 Fazackerly made Enfield that quite possibly saw some use in Korea or some other conflicts in that time frame. If you are a collector of military weapons such as this one,you may want to reconsider the stock refinishing. 
25-5 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 25-5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2020 at 2:22pm
I have one done just the same.  Paid twice as much.  I'm real happy with it as it shoots great.
I was able to get a sling stamped "49, and a "pig sticker" bayonet.
Enjoy it!
For the pikes must be together at the rising of the moon.
devrep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote devrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2020 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by Goosic Goosic wrote:

Originally posted by devrep devrep wrote:

You have made a very decent purchase of a NoMk2 Fazackerly made Enfield that quite possibly saw some use in Korea or some other conflicts in that time frame. If you are a collector of military weapons such as this one,you may want to reconsider the stock refinishing. 
thanks.  could very well have been on patrol in israel also when the British were trying to stop the jews from taking back their country.  I don't think a poorly done poly home finish is going to help with value do you?  he even got some of it on the upper and lower bands near the foresight.
double gun
devrep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote devrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2020 at 5:15pm
so what I had to check the bore was a Garand bore gauge with 8 steps, .298 to .305, a .305 gauge pin and a 7.62 round.  in this pic the bore is not quite accepting the .303 step but when I checked it with 2 expensive and accurate micrometers the .303 step was actually .3025.  so that's pretty good.  of course the gauge pin wouldn't go in at all.  the crown looks excellent.

double gun
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2020 at 5:31pm
Alot of  those rifles produced that year were also dunked in vats of Suncorote black paint and drip dried in kilns along with the stock sets dipped in some type of sheIIac. It's your rifle to do with as you please but, when you find one in the condition you have found it in, a little research on where it went and where it ended up from just the serial number alone could uncover its history. I have a 1943 Savage No4Mk1* that I know saw service at the tail end of WWII just from researching the serial number. It is now a faithful rendition of the T sniper rifle and not a day goes by that I find myself reprimanding my decision to destroy its inherent history simply for the "Cool Factor".
That rifle will have various inspectors stamps along will coded stamps, ie; N79, M126, etc. If you take the time to document each one of these marks and post them here,we as a collective can offer a definitive of such markings and stamps.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>
  Share Topic