Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

mk4 no 1 mystery

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote devrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2020 at 3:47am
I would be curious to shoot it as is and see how it performs.
double gun
Marco1010 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marco1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2020 at 9:59am
Yes I think that it is very likely to be a G rather than a 6, the G is badly struck on the wrist which makes it less obvious.   I seem to recall reading somewhere that a fair number of BSA rifles were refurbished for resale into the USA in the 70's and 80's similar to FTR standard. perhaps thats whats happened here?

The finish is quite good, looks to be some sort of phosphating rather than blueing. No signs of any suncorite anywhere.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2020 at 10:06am
Originally posted by The Armourer The Armourer wrote:

Is the first digit of the serial number a G or a 6 ?

A 'G and 4 numbers' could quite easily be an early BSA serial number, add in the B above the serial number and it starts to look even more possible.
Did BSA ever start a No4Mk1 production run with the first digit being a 9 after the prefix?
I have always been under the assumption that BSA serial numbers started with a 3 after a Prefix.
The Armourer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Armourer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2020 at 10:23am
Originally posted by Goosic Goosic wrote:

Originally posted by The Armourer The Armourer wrote:

Is the first digit of the serial number a G or a 6 ?

A 'G and 4 numbers' could quite easily be an early BSA serial number, add in the B above the serial number and it starts to look even more possible.
Did BSA ever start a No4Mk1 production run with the first digit being a 9 after the prefix?
I have always been under the assumption that BSA serial numbers started with a 3 after a Prefix.

Don't get confused with the 'factory identifier' (3 for BSA), they came in later.
Early on they started with A0001 to A9999, then B0001 - B9999 then C0001 to C9999 etc

So yes there will be quite a number of BSA produced rifles with a 9 after the 1st letter.

G9081 will simply be the 79,794th rifle produced (if I got the maths correct)

Note there are only 4 numerical digits, not 5.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2020 at 3:30pm
i was going to mention that - four digits would be expected on early rifles , the five digits were later contracts , 
Marco1010 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marco1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2020 at 7:17pm
I love how these old rifles get the old grey matter working for us all, life could be rather boring without playing around with Lee Enfields for a hobby.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2020 at 9:40pm
here that and these present so many things to research , it is what prompted me to divest my american US rifles a decade ago and to devote myself to these , there is nothing more satisfying than owning and understanding what you own - no matter how complex and difficult this has been the quests that have made me happy , 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic