Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Donor rifle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lowkeyed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 3:31pm
I’m confused. I do NOT plan to shoot the rifle with the yellow paint. I just want to put the wood from that gun on another SMLE that I have fired several hundred rounds through. Does the DP on that gun apply to the wood as well? 

Lowkeyed
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 4:33pm
no - it just was assigned to a DP rifle and will always carry the stigma unless you erase it , the timber was very seldom what got the rifle DP'd the action was , the precautions presented all related to the action here , a lot of DP stocks have found there way to 'good rifle' in this after market , you are good to go - but if you leave the yellow paint there will always be someone that will question it , 

i had a riifle - M1917 that had been issued in canada - they painted a red stripe on it that noted it was not their issue caliber , that had been scrubbed when i got it - the candaian markings were not , the scrub did not quite remove every trace of the red stripe , thankfully the red is not like the yellow , and the buyer wished it was still there to confirm its canadian issue , cant put back whats gone in aftermarket , but it does often show up and make folks question its condition , 

feel free to use that timber - its a great stock[s] as its more than one in this case , but very servicable i think , from what i see 
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2020 at 7:04am
I would absolutely refinish that stock and find good hardware! Another option, which I don't think anyone has mentioned yet but I believe has been done on this sight is to convert it to a .22. I don't believe there would be any issues shooting that round out of your rifle.
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2020 at 10:49am
If I'm reading the original post correctly; Lowkeyed has this DP rifle as a donor woodwork for another serviceable rifle with bad woodwork in his possesion. He has never intended to shoot the DP rifle.
So it's a case of cleaning up the DP stock to remove all traces of the yellow paint and fitting it to the other rifle. That may require a little fitting, but should be reasonably straight forward unless there's an issue with the draws.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2020 at 12:21pm
I apologize if I sounded preachy. Sometimes people misinterpret, as I obviously did. First and foremost, I want everyone to safely enjoy these old beauties. Part of that safety is ensuring the rifle is fit, and ammunition isn't too much for the rifle.
Ol Man Beezer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol Man Beezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2020 at 12:27pm
I was also looking to purchase a replacement stock for my mk3.  Libertytree has them on sale but the stocks are listed as coming from DP rifles.  The photos they show look rough, a good scraping and refinishing would be needed for sure.  I’m assuming RLO or Tung oil would be best on the wood like most other wood stocks.  My only fear would be buying one with cracks in the trigger housing. 
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2020 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by Lowkeyed Lowkeyed wrote:

So I picked up a 41 Lithgow off of a local internet site because the price was less than a used stock set I was looking to buy. I believe it to be a practice gun but it is matching. The only problem is once I stripped off the yellow latex paint on the stock and hand guards, there are all these cool cartouches. Now I am thinking of just making her a wall hanger, but just curious as to what the marks on the stock mean. Does anyone know what any of them mean? 
 There are more photos to come.

is that a pritchard bayonet for the webley revolver i see behind that rifle or just a french gras 1874 ? 
Lowkeyed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lowkeyed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2020 at 8:39pm
you have an eagle eye my friend
Lowkeyed
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2020 at 6:02pm
nice find , i looked for one for many years without finding a decent one i could afford , not a very applicable contraption , but truely a collectible item that many of us webley collectors would love to own ,  congrats 

im one that converted more than one from original full centerfire bore to 22cal as a safe way to continue shooting an otherwise unserviceable rifle - i did one enfield and two springfields over the years , i would always look to this to continue enjoying a shootable rifle - mine were quite fun and still enjoy use within my family , 
Lowkeyed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lowkeyed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2020 at 6:47pm
Is it an easy conversion? I see that Numrich has the kits to change it to 22 
Lowkeyed
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2020 at 8:48pm
no , not all that difficult if you buy their kits it should be simple , the one springfield M1903 rifle i converted was a bit more difficult as i had a custom chamber and barrel turned to create my own conversion unit - these kits were not available in those days , i had a good friend that was an excellent machinist mfgr it from a derelict "boys rifle" and hand fitted it to an M1922 bolt , great adventure but it took almost three years to get it to the range , 

i used a kit like the one you mentioned to convert the M1903A4gery and it was not so long getting done , 
both shoot equally well and saved two rifles that would have been DP'd 

my two nephews have them and shoot them regularly , 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2020 at 7:16am
I have the one for the SMLE.
Its new, so never fitted to a rifle.
Because of that it needs the bolt head grinding down to correct headspace & the insert barrel tube fitting to the individual rifle.
I don't have the facilities to do that in a way I'm comfortable with, so it at the smiths right now & has been waiting its turn for a couple of months at this point.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic