Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > OT Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Day from he!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Day from he!!!
    Posted: November 17 2020 at 7:25am
The Mrs has been complaining about hip pain for (she says) 2 weeks, its actually more like 2 months, but she won't admit it.
Well it got so bad we had to go to the hospital & she can no longer drive its so bad.
So, we took a cab, or tried to.
We hit a deer.
No-one hurt but the cab is trashed.
Cop shows up & shoots the badly injured deer.
They get us another cab after a 45 minute wait & off we go.
Hospital can't figure it out after tests & X-rays so we get steroids, pain killers muscle relaxants & a "maybe arthritis or bursitis" diagnosis & a prescription to fill.
Call a cab to get back home.
Driver agrees to stop at the pharmacy on the way home.
We're pulling into the parking lot for the drive-through window (covid requirement here now)
KLONK!
BANG!
RATTLE!
FOLLOWED BY THE SOUNDS OF SOMEONE DUMPING A BAG OF WRENCHES INTO A RUNNING WASHING MACHINE (& a Horrible stench of burning tyranny fluid).

We dumped the transmission so bad I could push the stuck mini-van while it was in gear, I know because it was messed up so bad the driver couldn't even shift to neutral.
Confused
We got it out of the middle of the lot & sort of into a parking spot & even "PARK" didn't work!
We got out & it gently rolled into the drainage ditch surrounding the lot!
Dead
They called another cab & 45 minutes later we were back home.
Apparently the cab co owner came & poured fluid into the transmission
but it just poured out everywhere. I think they need a new one!
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2020 at 8:14am
really bad day for the cab company , made your day a lot longer but at least you got through it all , hope your wife feels better 
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2020 at 8:33am
Really, really bad day for the deer!
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2020 at 12:02pm
Firstly Shamu, I wish your wife a speedy recovery. 
Sounds like that was a day to remebember; you'll be laughing about it soon enough.
Might want to find a Cab company with newer vehicles!
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2020 at 12:44pm
It came down to mechanical knowledge & ability.
The one with the trashed tranny is new.
Its so new theres no way of checking the tranny fluid level except with a special gadget they sell you, but don't include.
They basically guessed it was OK on morning inspection, but it wasn't I guess?
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2020 at 1:07pm
Most auto transmissions are filled for life these days; so only need topping up if you are opening the circuit to replace a hose or similar. Things can fail though!

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2020 at 2:17pm
I don't think it was the fluid lacking that caused the problem myself.
The initial sound came out of nowhere, no warning signs at all. I think something internally fractured & everything else was the unit just beating the heck out of itself in some way, possibly with the whatever it was that fell off.
The ground under it was clean & dry, but the entire right hand side of the engine compartment was covered in fluid. I think whatever  broke also punctured the casing & the running fan & serpentine just flung it everywhere. The burning smell was the fluid getting burnt off the exhaust manifold by the look of it.

You're right though I'll laugh about it later. I took a cab to the hospital & had to push it back home, thre's a joke in there somewhere!
Star
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2020 at 2:20pm
On the positive side, it wasn't your vehicles that broke so there's that. Still, makes for a very long day. Hope your wife is doing well and they figure out her hip pain.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2020 at 3:23pm
loved that read ...................

i had such a week - not to make lite of yours , i sympathize 

if you have ever driven in a minnesota blizzard i think you might agree 30-40mph is good 60-70mph is not , but we do it , combine that and snow plows on a two lane thats down to one lane then have an issue with your vehicle  , 

a week ago i visited a friend for dinner , we try to do it every tuesday with another friend who was sick and stayed home , started out fine but while there we gat a blizzard , i was twenty miles from home , third of the way back i got a flat tire - no idea what went through the sidewall , had to drive a couple miles to safely get off far enough to allow the traffic to pass me , called the tow truck , hour and a half wait for the tow , new set of tires [saved the rim] and a bunch of cash later all back to normal ..............i thought , 

i woke up yesterday going to work and another flat - same wheel , new tire - screwdriver through the new tire sidewall no fix , hope to have this back to normal again by end of day Wednesday , BUT , dont these dumb things happen in threes ? 

not to jinx myself or seem to be overly superstitious , just heard that and lived that too many times not to think it ...maybe this will be the first time in my life , 

poorer but still smiling , hope everyone has a great rest of there week , 

hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2020 at 4:44am
Speaking of bad days...I guess I can talk about it now..Went up to the cabin on 30 Oct for deer rifle season. Started to snow..& it snowed on 30, 31 7 01 Nov. We were pretty xcited cuz the snow in the bush easily would show deer, & temps were cold enuf to get them moving. Teus was warm & rainy. It continued to warm up. Then, on teusday I & a hunt pard were in Bancroft (Home Hardware). Cops come flying out of the town w/everything they had blaring. (I figgered big doins happening in small town). The cops made such a ruccus, manager of Maynooth liquor store called to ask employees if everything was ok, cuz 4 more cops come tearing thru Bird's Creek. Turns out, they were headed to brother Dan'd house. He had a terrible accident with his (new to him) dozer. Wife eventually found him with severe facial injuries & broken leg - dead. That put a real damper on the hunt..not to mention the permanent loss of our "hero". Just turned 66..man, this hurts.
Loose wimmen tightened here
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2020 at 7:38am
Makes my day look like a walk in the park.
Condolences man.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic