Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1916 Sht L.E.III* .303

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old man with a lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1916 Sht L.E.III* .303
    Posted: November 18 2020 at 10:36am
Newbie to this site. I have a .303 Sht L.E. III*. Nowhere does it say Mk 1 or 4 so I'm not sure of it's providence and would like some help identifying it correctly. On the right rear of the receiver is stamped the Crown and under that is G.R. then BS.A. co. Next is 1916 over Sht. LE and there under III*. On top of the receiver but under the bolt handle is stamped F F. The safety lever has III* stamped on it. On the right front of the receiver Is ENGLAND, the Crown mark, B with 9642 under it and a arrow mark pointing up. On the left front of the receiver is stamped the Crown Stamp under which is the letter C 1 and under that is the letter B. Next to that is the crossed flags stamp and an arrow stamp within a circle pointing up. On the left of the barrel is another arrow pointing towards the rear then a Crown stamp followed by an E'42 then another arrow pointing towards the front. On the right side of the barrel is the crossed flags followed by 303"     2.22". Under all that is NP 18.5 tons. On the bolt is N 64022 followed by the crossed flags then the Crown and an arrow  towards the handle. On the bolt head is the letter U. On the trigger guard is the Crown stamp with an arrow pointing towards the front. On the left side of the trigger is the Crown stamp and under it is the letters B U and under that is the letter R. There are some other dings near some of the stamping but I can not identify them. I would like any info you can provide about this rifle. I have had it for 40 years and use it for deer hunting. I plan to pass it along my family line and think that it might encourage more interest if I new it's history.

Sht LE mk111, Ruger .223, .357, 9mm,.22, Tokarev 9mm, CVA .50, Marlin Glenfield Mod 25 .22
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 4:50pm
its a mkIII* by 1916 BSA had converted from the mkIII , my 1915 is still a mkIII but it was one of the later ones if my research is correct , this is a very fine example of the WWI era rifles tho , assuming the rest is intact 

if i am correct in a latter post you indicated the charger bridge is gone , that makes it less so - intact it would be a great rifle , without it is in question , others will chime in , this may well be a great hunting rifle - sporters are discussed at length here as well , enjoy your enfield 

and wecome to the fold , 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2020 at 7:33am
Its a change in the naming conventions which is confusing you.
The S.M.L.E. is the same as a ShtLE, which is the same as a Rifle No1 MkIII (or III*). The names changed the guns are all the same with very minor differences.
I suppose you could call it a "Short Magazine Lee Enfield No1 MkIII" but thats a heck of a mouthful.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2020 at 9:01am
Welcome from Brandon, Manitoba, Canada!
The Armourer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Armourer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2020 at 10:26am
GUNS ??
GUNS ???
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2020 at 11:02am
Welcome to the forum.
As mentioned your rifle is a Short Magazine Lee Enfield MkIII*.
It appears from the information given that the bolt is not matched to the serial number on the receiver.
That is unfortunate; as the bolts were hand fitted to each receiver to ensure even contact at the recoil lug area. it is possible that a mismatched bolt could be OK. But it should be carefully checked before firing.
If all the recoil is taken on one lug instead of evenly across the two; it will result in generally poor accuracy, premature wear and possible lug failure.
If the bolt had been replaced in service, it would have been re-numbered to suite
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2020 at 1:43pm
Yes, plural of "gun"! Evil Smile We have to give Hoadie something to do now & then.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2020 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by The Armourer The Armourer wrote:

GUNS ??
GUNS ???
See definitions in:
All
Military · Dated
Anatomy · Informal
noun
  1. 1.
    a weapon incorporating a metal tube from which bullets, she!!s, or other missiles are propelled by explosive force, typically making a characteristic loud, sharp noise.
    Similar:
    firearm
    weapon
    shooter
    cannon
    piece
    heater
    gat
    rod
    roscoe
    shooting iron
      INFORMAL
      muscular arms; well-developed biceps muscles.
      "it's encouraging to note that Schwarzenegger wasn't born with massive guns"
    verb
    1. INFORMAL
      cause (an engine) to race.
      "as Neil gunned the engine the boat jumped forward"Thumbs Up
    Old man with a lee View Drop Down
    Groupie
    Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old man with a lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2020 at 2:03pm
    I have hunted with this rifle for 40 years with no issue except for the aftermarket Williams sight not being adjusted right for me. That might have been the reason the previous owner sold it to me so cheaply. All's well now.
    Sht LE mk111, Ruger .223, .357, 9mm,.22, Tokarev 9mm, CVA .50, Marlin Glenfield Mod 25 .22
    Shamu View Drop Down
    Admin Group
    Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2020 at 2:57pm
    Yeppers there was also a Enfield "Pistol" (revolver) that was a "Gun" as well!

"Stripper Clips"
    in 5,
    In 4,
    In 3,
    . . .
    A square 10 View Drop Down
    Special Member
    Special Member
    Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2020 at 5:52pm
    seems you cant bait hoadie in tonight , 

webley made pistols and revolvers - enfield only revolvers and rifles , 

the rifles box magazine was loaded with chargers [stripper clips to us yanks ] 
    Charlie Gillman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Gillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2020 at 3:12am
    FF marking under the bolt handle stands for Fianna Fail. This Enfield was either sold or issued to the Irish. Very interesting history. 
    Gill
    Old man with a lee View Drop Down
    Groupie
    Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old man with a lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2020 at 7:24am
    Thanks for that tidbit. It's more info to add to the growing list of things. No one has mentioned the meaning of the '42 marking on the barrel. Seeing that it is the normal way of indicating the year of something I'm wondering if the barrel might of been replaced in 1942 before being returned to service. Any thoughts ??

hoadie View Drop Down
    Moderator Group
    Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2020 at 6:21am
    Originally posted by A square 10 A square 10 wrote:

seems you cant bait hoadie in tonight , 

webley made pistols and revolvers - enfield only revolvers and rifles , 

the rifles box magazine was loaded with chargers [stripper clips to us yanks ] 

Thats because Hoadie was away hunting @ the cabin again.

PROPER NOMENCLATURE, PLEASE!!

You buncha heathens are so sacriligious!! (Guns, strippers & clips, indeed!! )
    Loose wimmen tightened here
    Shamu View Drop Down
    Admin Group
    Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2020 at 6:43am
    Welcome back, mate!
    Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2020 at 8:22am
    Originally posted by Charlie Gillman Charlie Gillman wrote:

FF marking under the bolt handle stands for Fianna Fail. This Enfield was either sold or issued to the Irish. Very interesting history. 
    The FF, "under" the bolt handle is not an Irish stamp.  It would have been stamped on the top of the reciever with a F superimposed over another F inside a circle. 
     Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
      Share Topic