Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Ishapore Enfields
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ishapore 1947 questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mauserdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ishapore 1947 questions
    Posted: November 20 2020 at 1:07pm
Just acquired a 1947 in very good shape. It is import marked.  All metal has matching numbers including the clip. First off, is I cant find the production figures for 1947. Is there a yearly production table? Second, the bottom wood appears to have been replaced, forearm and butt stock. The forearm underneath is marked DP ( Drill Purpose?). I read some where that Springfield Sporters sold this wood. What is the story behind this? So India did not install this DP wood? What type of wood was this? Wood is bigger than the brass butt plate. This is not a DP rifle. It came with a cloth sling marked J&A.H.1944 arrow right. Tan colored. Also had a plastic oiler and pull through cord, Also received 100rds of 1950 FN ammo. I feel I go a great deal for $200. The metal has caked black grease all over. The stock had been varnished. Used a chemical stripper and removed. In process of hand rubbing BLO. This will make a fine addition to my Enfield collection. Thanks for any help. Sorry for the long post. Ed
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2020 at 6:26pm
ed , no problem with length of post but there is a lot to cover here - 

there are production figures by year in the straton collector series - not absolute but best available so far , i no longer have my copy it resides with another collector here , perhaps he will add to this post , india was producing then , 

i suspect the timber was replaced after civilian purchase , the indians did not put the DP wood on it , not surprising its outsized but it could be fitted ? 
and little idea without photos of whose wood it was , thus the type cant be identified but a lot of DP wood came from early rifles and it could well be walnut , 

sounds like you got a good buy to me , would love to see your refinish if you can post photos , 

mauserdad View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mauserdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2020 at 6:53pm
Sir, thank you for your response. I kind of figured it was a civilian installed stock especially after reading a posting about Springfield Sporters. Again thank you and maybe others will comment.
mauserdad View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mauserdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2020 at 7:20pm
I will try to post Pic's when I have finished cleaning her up.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2020 at 10:37pm
Do not unscrew the buttstock first . You will crack the forestock. 
mauserdad View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mauserdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2020 at 3:36am
Thank you Sir. Yep, the butt stock is the last piece I remove thankfully. Never knew what you said.
mauserdad View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mauserdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2020 at 5:44pm
Gents here are pictures of the wood and the sling. Still trying to determine wood type and pr0duction figure for 1947. Thanks. Ed

A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2020 at 6:21pm
looks walnut to me but i could be wrong 

thats a bantam buttstock unless im seeing wrong , 
mauserdad View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mauserdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2020 at 6:59pm
That's what I am thinking. But I understand they used other native hardwoods which I do not know what they look like. Thanks for the response.
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2020 at 5:40am
Don’t think I’ve seen that wavy grain pattern thats on the forend before.  Butt stock does look like oak.  Nice shape too.  
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2020 at 6:48am
That is really nice wood! 
mauserdad View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mauserdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2020 at 9:56am
Thanks Gents. what does coachwood look like?
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2020 at 11:48am
A bit similar to walnut, but the heartwood is almost purple.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
mauserdad View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mauserdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2020 at 12:29pm
Thank you Sir. Still cant find any production figures for 1937. I was informed on another board the sling is a reproduction.
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2020 at 6:48am
Production figures for Ishapore rifles are difficult to find at best. The Indians to this day are very, very secretive about arms production both past and present. Considering that RFI is still an active state manufacturer I highly doubt we will see true production numbers anytime soon.

I will look up the numbers that Stratton lists in his book. As A_Square said, that is the best data set on Indian production to date.
The Armourer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Armourer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2020 at 7:52am
Originally posted by Bear43 Bear43 wrote:

Production figures for Ishapore rifles are difficult to find at best. The Indians to this day are very, very secretive about arms production both past and present. Considering that RFI is still an active state manufacturer I highly doubt we will see true production numbers anytime soon.

He is getting the same answer on each of the forums where he has asked the question.

It may not be the answer he would prefer, but at least it is consistent.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic