Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > OT Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Morning coffee/ and weather reports

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 33343536>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2021 at 3:03pm
The accuracy of the No. 4 rifle is not understood here in the US (other than people like us on this forum and a few other forums).  There are many competitive shooters here in the US who will walk right past a No. 4 or turn their nose up with the “not invented here” mentality, call it ugly, and therefore, they must be junk.  I’m kinda on a mission to correct that misconception. 

I am very sure that every single point that was not in the X ring was my own error, and not the fault of the rifle or ammo.  Gossic has proven this as well.  So, I’m going to continue to strive for better scores, with the objective of shooting a completely clean match, all in the 10 ring.  The rifle is more than capable, the prone stage proves it.  I need to work on my sitting position, even though it’s only 70 seconds, a score of 100 is attainable.  The hardest thing is shooting 100 in the standing position, I’ve never done it.  I think the highest score I got in standing with the No. 4 is 96. 

At least I will try, until my reloading supplies run out. 

britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2021 at 7:03am
Another 4 inches of rain yesterday, that makes 8 inches of rain in the last three days up here in Blue Ridge.  I’m expecting trees to fall, but fortunately, no wind at the moment.
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2021 at 1:03pm
My friend who competes here and is a very good shot was using a No4 Mk1, but then swapped to a 1903 Springfield  in 2019. It is fully set up for competitions and a very accurate rifle. But we were discussing the two last week.
 He is having problems with his neck and upper vetebrae. His practice scores are not as good as he'd like.
He was thinking of stopping competitions in the bolt action class. I suggested reverting to the No4; because the Springfield has a heavier load and more recoil.
So probably making more problems for his neck and possibly causing anticipating the recoil. 
The Enfield is more comfortable to shoot; so should be easier to concentrate!
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2021 at 1:29pm
I’m beginning to have lower back pain in prone position after 10 shots.  That 22 round string I had to fire at the match last weekend caused a lot of pain by the time I was done.  Took me about 15 minutes. If I pause and roll on my side for a while, it helps.

I’ve also got three vertebrae fused in my neck, C4,5 and 6.  That’s restricted how far I can lift my head up to get sight alignment.  I can’t get into a “low prone” position which a lot of shooters do for a more stable prone position (extend support hand right up to sling swivel band and position trigger elbow further away from your body). 

I agree with you about the recoil.  The 03 is pretty snappy with a full load and heavy bullets needed for long range, but for 200 yards, 125 grain bullets and light to moderate charges work very well. In my M1, I use 44.5 gr H4895 with the 125 TNT bullet and recoil is very light.  The M1 gas system does soften the recoil, but this load in an 03 should have less felt recoil than a No. 4 with a 174 gr bullet at 2400 fps.

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2021 at 2:31pm
Maybe download the 06 to 303 levels?
Just a thought if he's a reloader.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2021 at 3:04pm
 That’s one of the great characteristics of H4895, it performs well with reduced charges.  The 44.5 grain H4895 load in the .30-06 is very low load density with no ignition problems.  
klondike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klondike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2021 at 4:12pm
This spring the weather has been crazy, week after week of rain, and strong winds can't wait for a few weeks of sun shine

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2021 at 6:20pm
Rain has finally moved out of Blue Ridge and a cold front coming in.  Breezy now with temp falling fast.  59 deg right now with overnight lows heading for the 40’s.  That’s cool for the South East this time of year. 
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2021 at 8:13pm
we got that cold front as well , saturday was 80+and sunny  but sunday was rain , 50s and gray all day , high of 60s since and looks like that will be the norm in the near future 
devrep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote devrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2021 at 8:03am
seems just a short time ago ya'll were having way below zero temps and now in the 80's.  time just flys.  about 90 here lately.
double gun

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2021 at 9:05am
45 deg and sunny when I got up.  This second Pfizer shot is not pleasant.  Down, but not out today. Tylenol is helping. 
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2021 at 4:18pm
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2021 at 7:04pm
Frying pan hot, Goosic! I cannot stand that kind of heat, I am not built for it.
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2021 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by devrep devrep wrote:

seems just a short time ago ya'll were having way below zero temps and now in the 80's.  time just flys.  about 90 here lately.

yes indeed , im real happy with the 50s and 60s we are getting right now , i do like those 80s tho , all in good time i guess we got fishing opener next week so im guessing oit will stay cold for that - always does 

OH - ill be out for thst few days BTW as always , 
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2021 at 7:11pm
My teenage daughter calls this Sweater Weather. It has yet to get hot here...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2021 at 6:01am
45 deg again this morning in Blue Ridge.  Heading for a high of 61 with clear skies.  Feeling much better today, the effects of that second vaccine shot was not pleasant. 

I’m the same way, can’t do temps above 90.  Don’t really like the 80’s either unless I’m out on the boat.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 33343536>
  Share Topic