Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Hunting with the .303 British cartridge.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Deer down.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303 Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Deer down.
    Posted: November 24 2020 at 10:32am
Yesterday morning I went out hunting, looking for a white tail buck. I gone to an place where I had a trail camera that took some pictures of two or three decent bucks.
I had been out there the evening before and hadn’t seen any thing other than some tracks and two does on the far side of a small valley but I decided to try the next morning.
So the next morning I did see a doe and buck on a joining property that I don’t have access to the does on the far side again.
After I push though some brush was heading to another stand of trees when I looked to my left and there, about 120 yards away was this buck was working his way towards the brush patch that I had just cleared 20 minutes before. So I flipped the ladder sight up, got into a kneeling position and shot.
The deer jumped and ran down a little gulley and into the bush.
After waiting for a little bit I went and found him just inside the bush.
The Lee Enfield is to the Canadian north what the Winchester repeater was to the American west.   Cal Bablitz
devrep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote devrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2020 at 10:38am
nice job young man and a good looking deer.
double gun
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2020 at 11:00am
That is a nice buck! Good job!
Ol Man Beezer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol Man Beezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2020 at 11:37am
That’s a nice 8 pointer with a thick neck.  Good one for sure. 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2020 at 1:36pm
Nicely done!
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Stumpkiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stumpkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2020 at 6:43pm
Good on you. Splendid buck.  Thumbs Up

I'm not using my .303 this year but I have had 14 doe (I'm not exaggerating) offer themselves at less than 75 yards (one at 20 yards spent three minutes looking at me and other things before walking off)  and my No. IV would have been more than sufficient to the task.  Of course I have no doe permit this year.
Charlie P.

Life is not about how fast you run, or how high you climb, but how well you bounce.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2020 at 7:39pm
nice one , i love seeing these successes , one less to hit with my car - as well as meat in the freezer 
klondike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klondike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2020 at 2:47am
Well done, very nice buck, and great rifle what ammo / cartridge you using for hunting ?
303 Hunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303 Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2020 at 8:37am
Thanks everyone.
Klondike I am using the .303 British with Hornady’s 174 grain inter-lock on 40 grains of Reloader 15.
The Lee Enfield is to the Canadian north what the Winchester repeater was to the American west.   Cal Bablitz
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2020 at 8:37am
Fine looking venison! Any chance you could send a few pics of your rifle? I think I may have it's brother!
klondike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klondike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2020 at 8:44am
I use to use the Hornady light magnum 150 gr.box ammo.
They stopped making it some time ago. Thanks for your reply.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2020 at 9:38am
I've also find it odd that up here in Canada 303 Hunter shot a nice "four pointer" but to our friends down south it is a nice "eight pointer."
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2020 at 10:20am
What exactly is a "Fixed Breech Action"?
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2020 at 10:50am
2830 fps at the muzzle is pretty hot for a 150 gr bullet.  

No idea what a “fixed breech” action is.  
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2020 at 10:56am
I remember when Hornady brought out that line of bullets. Apparently it was a proprietary powder that propelled projectiles 200-300 ft/sec faster than over the counter powders. You couldn't buy it separate. I think they made bullets for several different calibre's. The claim was faster bullets well within maximum breech pressures.
klondike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klondike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2020 at 11:17am
I shot nothing but that in my sporterized 303, and took my deer with it every year.that box is nearly full.
And the last of what I have.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic