Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Ishapore Enfields
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bolt head measurement

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frameman 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bolt head measurement
    Posted: November 26 2020 at 12:01pm
Does anyone have a chart which lists the correlation between the bolt head thickness and the bolt head number?
There are no Americans in Baghdad!!
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2020 at 12:48pm
I’ve seen it on this forum, not sure how hard it is to find those posts again....

And there is considerable overlap in lengths from measurements of bolt heads.  I.e. it’s possible that a #1 bolt head is longer than a #3 bolt head.  If your headspacing a rifle, you may have to have a collection of bolt heads to try. 

Frameman 1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frameman 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2020 at 1:18pm
Starting a collection was what I’d hoped to avoid but if it’s necessary, so be it.
The Armourer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Armourer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2020 at 1:21pm
deleted
The Armourer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Armourer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2020 at 1:24pm
deleted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frameman 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2020 at 1:38pm
Thanks gents!
This info will give something to do. 
Thanksgiving this year is a little subdued 😎
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2020 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by Frameman 1 Frameman 1 wrote:

Does anyone have a chart which lists the correlation between the bolt head thickness and the bolt head number?
Is this in regards to the No1Mk111/* rifles?
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2020 at 2:34pm
I don't think it can be, numbered bolt heads were a no4 or No5 thing.
I've seen such a summary on here, a while back, but I thought it came from The Armourer?
Maybe do a few searches for "bolt head", "Lengths &  Numbers", "Head Spacing" & similar terms?
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2020 at 2:45pm
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2020 at 3:47pm
I was basing my question off of this topic being listed in the Ishapore Enfield section and not under the Enfield Rifle section and solely an assumption that I made because of that.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frameman 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2020 at 4:00pm
Here are a few photos of one of my bolt heads.
Any help with markings?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frameman 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2020 at 4:04pm
The rifle in question is an Ishapore 2A
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2020 at 4:16pm
There are no bolthead numbers in corresponding lengths for the rifle you are referencing.  The number on your bolthead is just a stamp indicating who made that particular item. Somebody here will know this for certain but I was made to believe that your particular bolthead was hand fitted to the rifle by having the face of the bolthead machined down in very small increments until proper headspacing was achieved by starting with a longer than normal bolthead.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frameman 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2020 at 4:20pm
From what I’m reading, I believe this to be the case.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2020 at 6:46am
Yes, exactly. That's how it was done. IIRC there was a stamp on the actual face when issued. That meant it had never been fitted to anything. "L" Maybe?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frameman 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2020 at 12:57pm
In my top photo right above the cutout area of the rail hook there is an S stamped in the side. Sorry for the poor resolution.
What does this indicate?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic