Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Ishapore Enfields
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ammo and Bayonet

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack in N.C. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ammo and Bayonet
    Posted: November 30 2020 at 6:42pm
Ok, done a lot of reading and still confused.   Got a 2a  7.62 x 51 made in 1966.  seems some say ok to shoot 308 some say no.   so what about Remingtons managed recoil loads as these cant have the pressure of full strength loads?? 

also, the bayonet thing sill confuses me.  see plenty on ebay for Mark 4 . will they fit?

thanks for any responses. Mack
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2020 at 10:47pm
308 in 7.62 Nato chambered rifles is an involved issue.  It involves Chamber tolerances and well as pressure limits. In an Ishy I would stick to Ball 7.62 Nato or Handloads to those specs. Others with more  knowledge will hopefully chime in about  safety of specific loads. 

As for the Bayonet  the Ishapore  takes a shortened version of the  Bayonet for the No1  SMLE
the standard SMLE bayonet will fit. I think it looks better
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
The Armourer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Armourer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2020 at 12:41am
deleted
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2020 at 3:58am
Originally posted by Mack in N.C. Mack in N.C. wrote:

Ok, done a lot of reading and still confused.   Got a 2a  7.62 x 51 made in 1966.  seems some say ok to shoot 308 some say no.   so what about Remingtons managed recoil loads as these cant have the pressure of full strength loads?? 

also, the bayonet thing sill confuses me.  see plenty on ebay for Mark 4 . will they fit?

thanks for any responses. Mack

Welcome from Phoenix Arizona  Mack.
Federal Cartridge Co. Make two specific rounds that would be safe to use . The 168grn and the 175grn match ammunition.  Aguilla Ammunition make 150grn 7.62x51mm rounds suitable for your application as well.  If you reload your own ammunition, there are alot of different loading data out there to assist with a near duplicate 7.62x51mm load. You can find the 144/47grn NATO ammunition at various online sources, and that would definitely be your best alternative to use in your rifle.
The bayonet would be any bayonet designed to fit the SMLE  No1Mk111/* rifles. eBay has them listed under the title Enfield Bayonet  P1907.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2020 at 4:58am
Welcome from Brandon, Manitoba, Canada!
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2020 at 5:19am
7.62 vs .308 boils down to a question of headspace.  If the bolt on your rifle closes on a SAAMI .308 Field gage, do not shoot .308 ammunition.  That is the very definition of a rifle unsafe to shoot.  

7.62 cartridge brass is made thicker in the web area just above the case head to handle the longer 7.62 chamber.  

Most .308 commercial loads (not all) will produce higher chamber pressures than the .303 British Mk 7 service cartridge. Make sure you keep the chamber free of oil and water, this minimizes thrust loads on the bolt (a good practice for all LE rifles).

If you reload, that is your best option, use minimum published loads for .308 Winchester.  

The .308 Remington Managed Recoil factory load is a 125 gr bullet with a muzzle velocity of 2660 fps.  While this is likely very mild for the .308 (and light bullets definitely reduce felt recoil) we do not know what powder is used, so we have no way to estimate max chamber pressure of this load.

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2020 at 6:57am
Bayonets for the No4 & No1 bayonets for the SMLE are not interchangeable, sorry.
The No1 (SMLE uses a knife handled bayonet with a locking lug as part of the nosecap, the No4 uses a socket bayonet around the protruding muzzle.)
2 different bayonets for the No4:

P1907 bayonet for the No1 SMLE:

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2020 at 8:43am
the indians made a shortened version of the P1907 known as their no1 mkI , mkI* , mkI**  , mkII , mkII* , mkIII , mkIII* , the mkIII series had the squared pommel that i think look best with the 2A and 2A1rifles , 
Mack in N.C. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack in N.C. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2020 at 8:23pm
Thanks for the reply.....I need a round for hunting.  Are any loads you listed good for deer as I want to kill a deer with this gun.  I have plenty of ball ammo but I would assume they are not good for hunting.  
I listed gun as a 2a but it is a 2a1....

also still confused on the bayonet thing.  I see the differences in the length but I cant tell the way they attach. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack in N.C. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2020 at 8:31pm
just seen the bottom of your post about which one will fit.   Those are not cheap . looks like i will have to spend at least 150.00. on it.  Thanks for the reply.    Mack

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack in N.C. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2020 at 8:36pm
Also, I know the 308 and 7.62 Nato are different kinda like the 223 and 5.56 but then why would PMC list both on their ammo box??
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2020 at 9:53pm
Aguila Ammunition makes a 150grn lead tipped spire point for 7.62x51mm chambered rifles.  Suitable for medium size game...
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2020 at 12:43am
the bayonet attaches as the P1907 did with the muzzle ring and lug on the bayonet boss - nosepiece of the stock , the difference in the indian bayonets and the P1907 is the length - they shortened them , 

i have to switch computers to add photos , i no longer have photos of my indian kit - that was lost in the old photobucket debacle but i have a P1907 photo i think that will indicate the connection , 

the four on the right are the correct connection but the longer length , the indians shortened theirs to the length of those on the left , 
scottz63 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottz63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2021 at 4:25am
I like the shorter Indian version. I have to go look for one now. Thanks!
14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer
Chris D View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2021 at 6:22pm
.308 vrs 7.62 x 51 gets debated in my M14 forum.  In large part due to the fact that confusion about pressure.  SAAMI and NATO standards use different means to measure pressure so comparing them is apples to oranges.  SAAMI uses piezo transducer pressures while NATO are based on the older CUP method.  50K CUP is about the same as 60/61 SAAMI.   7.62 NATO brass is thicker so a .308 may expand more. Some advice.  As noted in the other posts check to see your headspace is OK.  When looking at a hunting round, look for the muzzle velocity.  If it is close to what a 7.62x51 mv is then it is about the right pressure.  Some .308s will produce too much pressure so if you see super or extra in the label look at the MV,  if it is a 100 FPS faster or more than a 7.62 round of the same weight, I would avoid it.  Check the specs before buying but if you can get a chronograph, it would be good to see what your MV are to find a hunting round that has a similar MV to a NATO round.   Ishapore chambers are generous. and the thinner .308 brass should expand.  It may not be good for reloading but it should expand if you follow the pressure rule.  So next rule is stay away from steel cased 7.62 or .308.  It may be too brittle to expand. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic