Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reloading > Reloading .303 British
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMR 4166

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Gillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IMR 4166
    Posted: December 02 2020 at 8:12am
Now that we're in another shortage, I went to buy IMR 4064, several of my Enfields' preferred powder. There is none, locally or online, but I found some new IMR 4166 at Cabela's online, so I ordered it. First impressions, I have nothing but good things to report, absolutely no complaints. 

Loaded up a couple boxes with 180 grain .311" Sierra Pro Hunter bullets, R-P case, and CCI 250 LR Magnum primer. I used 39.0 grains IMR 4166, Hodgdon online MAX with this bullet is 40.8 grains. Cartridge overall length at 3.06 inches. Results excellent. Low pressure, primers rounded at edge, no soot on case neck, case body clean, looking completely unstressed. Easy extraction. Test fire in my No1 MkIII Lithgow. Hits dead center about 4 inches high at 65 yards, just perfect for battle sights. Hit the steel plate at 135 yards three in a row. Good enough. Found a suitable load on the first try. That doesn't happen every time. 

If you're having having trouble finding powder for reloads in the USA, don't pass up IMR 4166 if you get a chance to buy some.  It has a de-coppering agent, and that seemed to work, too. A very light copper wash on the leading edge of lands, normally this rifle tended to pick up a lot of copper jacket. Been fighting copper fouling in this rifle for years. 
Gill
BorderGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BorderGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2020 at 4:21pm
Well, my first post on this forum.  Just wanted to say thanks for this post.  I am a long time reloader but have never reloaded for the .303 British.  A young friend of mine is really into this calibre so I thought i would help him out and reload some rounds for him.  I happened to have an 8 pound keg of IMR 4166 that i have just started to use for .308.  Wondered if it would be a good powder for his rifle and found this.  Thanks, Gill, for this valuable info.  Will let you know how the rounds perform.
303 Hunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303 Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2020 at 10:20pm
Welcome from Alberta!
I have been using BL-(C)2 powder for one of my .303s and I believe that it is pretty accurate but unfortunately the one time that I tried to see how accurate it was with a scope, the ATI scope base came lose, invalidating the group.
The Lee Enfield is to the Canadian north what the Winchester repeater was to the American west.   Cal Bablitz
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2020 at 1:43pm
I’ve been meaning to try IMR 4166 in my No. 4 .303 and the 7.62 Conversion, I recently bought a 8 lb jug, seems to be the only powder available right now.  Burn rate is about the same as IMR 4064 and Norma 202 so should be good for 168 to 174/175 gr. bullets.  Also plan to test it in .223 Service Rifle.  

Frontloader View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frontloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2021 at 8:14am
I'm just getting started in reloading and picked up a pound of 4166 myself.
Dad,do you have to load that thing everytime?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic