Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Heinz 57 variety

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klondike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heinz 57 variety
    Posted: December 04 2020 at 5:38am
This is my last rescue ,that I have been working on.
It was sporterized by some misfit.
And I have been trying to bring it back to it's glory days as a military rifle. Don't know if you can make out some of the information. No 4 MK- I 1943.
I've shot it, haven't done any serious bench shooting.
Just have a 5 round magazine. For it, looking for an original magazine.
What can you tell me about it.?
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2020 at 7:14am
I think its a Maltby. The alloy ZAMAC buttplate is unusual.
Does the 5-round mag say "made in Japan" on it? Or "Golden State Arms"
If so thats a nice collectable magazine of good quality.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2020 at 7:30am
Shamu is correct.  That is a Maltby made Enfield.  The five round magazines does look like a Santa Fe magazine as well. Very nice looking rifle you have.
klondike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klondike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2020 at 7:48am
Magazine says Japan. Iam looking for a mag.
The wood all came from a friend on another site. It was to beet up for him to use ,on his project. I like all the battle scars. Iam sure it's earned every one of them.
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2020 at 7:51am
Nice Maltby made rifle! It looks to have the 'Ishapore' transverse screw forward of the magazine. The 5-round magazine is very desirable these days, I would hang on to it but if you want a 10-round magazine they are available with some searching.
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
klondike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klondike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2020 at 7:55am
We use to have a big gun show fairly close by, I have bought parts there before, but iam sure they won't be having it this year.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2020 at 7:59am
definitely a maltby , be sure bear sees this , should make a nice rifle 
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2020 at 8:01am
Originally posted by klondike klondike wrote:

Magazine says Japan. Iam looking for a mag.
The wood all came from a friend on another site. It was to beet up for him to use ,on his project. I like all the battle scars. Iam sure it's earned every one of them.
That little made in the Land of The Devine Wind magazine is a small pot of gold nowadays. The 10 round No4 magazine is always for sale or auction on eBay and Numrich Gun Parts has the reproduction version of the No4 as well.  Those need to be tinkered with to get them to feed properly however...
klondike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klondike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2020 at 8:14am
I have a brass but plate on the sporterized wood that came with the rifle, but I got this pot metal but plate from some were, and don't know what belongs on the maltby from 1943 ?
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2020 at 8:15am
Brass
klondike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klondike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2020 at 8:24am
That's easy enough to swap them out, thanks
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2020 at 8:27am
yes , maltby used brass - the mazak/zamak were on the north americans 
klondike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klondike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2020 at 8:47am
Just got a mag off ebay, an original. With this virus
Going around, I know I won't find a gun show.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2020 at 8:53am
Hopefully you did not just spend $125.00 USD on the original and unissued Savage No4 mag that was listed.
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2020 at 9:40am
Originally posted by klondike klondike wrote:

Just got a mag off ebay, an original. With this virus
Going around, I know I won't find a gun show.

yes , not likely to see a gunshow till spring unless we get lucky - but i fear they may be squashed for a lot longer than that even , 

klondike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klondike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2020 at 1:49pm
Nope, but it was pricey, and used. 75.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic