Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I found this in my parents basement

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heppaloc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I found this in my parents basement
    Posted: December 27 2020 at 11:43am
My dad left me some rifles when he passed away and this one has intrigued me from the start. Any information by the good folks on this forum is greatly appreciated to put together how my father came into his ownership of this and where it may have originated.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2020 at 3:22pm
welcome , we need to see a whole lot more of it to give you anything of value , but will be happy to help when you can get more photos posted , 
heppaloc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heppaloc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2020 at 6:49pm
here are some more pics
heppaloc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heppaloc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2020 at 6:52pm
heppaloc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heppaloc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2020 at 6:57pm
heppaloc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heppaloc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2020 at 7:00pm
Stumpkiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Stumpkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2020 at 7:00pm
Looks British with a metal barrel and wood stock.  I can't make out much other than the broad arrow stamp.  Need a LOT more information to be of any help.
Charlie P.

Life is not about how fast you run, or how high you climb, but how well you bounce.
heppaloc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heppaloc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2020 at 7:01pm
The serial number is the same on the receiver, barrel, bolt and magazine. 
heppaloc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heppaloc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2020 at 7:06pm
heppaloc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heppaloc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2020 at 7:12pm
heppaloc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heppaloc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2020 at 7:14pm
that serial number also has a Z with it
The Armourer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Armourer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2020 at 1:02am
removed

Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2020 at 3:50am
Originally posted by heppaloc heppaloc wrote:

My dad left me some rifles when he passed away and this one has intrigued me from the start. Any information by the good folks on this forum is greatly appreciated to put together how my father came into his ownership of this and where it may have originated

As has been stated, you have a No1Mk111* Short Magazine Lee Enfield, "SMLE" that was originally manufactured by BSA,"Birmingham Small Arms Company Ltd.," and has subsequently been sporterized since then. It fires the venerable ".303 British" cartridge. 
As to how your father came into ownership of this rifle is beyond our knowledge.  For that you would have to enlist the help of family members and friends of your father who knew him best. The pictures show a rifle that appears to have been well taken care of but, would probably benefit from a good once over by a competent gunsmith if you plan on shooting the rifle in the foreseeable future.
Is it rare and worth alot of money? No, no it is not.
Should you invest time and money into it and attempt to have it restored to it original military configuration? No. Leave it alone. It was your fathers and thats how he chose to have it as you see it now.

Welcome to the forum heppaloc, and howdy from Phoenix Arizona 🤠...
heppaloc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heppaloc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2020 at 5:48am
Thanks for the info and I will take some more clearer pictures. Do you think it served at all in The Great War....
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2020 at 7:44am
yes , it served but we cannot say where at this point , the war was in full swing by 16 and they were producing as fast as possible , there are almost no records of service for rifles , 
heppaloc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heppaloc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2020 at 9:29am
Hey man thanks a lot for the info,, I will try to get some clearer pics maybe you can tell when it made the trip across the pond or what year it was sold to civillian company. Those proof marks are pretty cool and I wish I knew what they all meant.  All the serial numbers match though right down to the magazine.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic