Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I found this in my parents basement

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heppaloc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2020 at 10:28am
what would the import markings look like by chance
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2020 at 10:35am
It looks to be a very clean sporterised SMLE. Treasure it! You are lucky to be able to own your Father's rifle. I suspect it may be converted by Parker Hale; which is a good thing if it can be proven.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2020 at 11:57am
Zed. I have a Fajen stock set that looks identical to the OP'S. The rear sight looks very similar in design to the Williams sight, in my opinion as well.
As you have stated though, until it is proven...Wink
shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2020 at 12:38pm
any markings on the top of the barrel, ie ej churchill, parker hale, etc
Lead from the front; eliminate all obstacles...
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2020 at 12:59pm
I would expect it to be marked Parker Hale (or possibly PH) if they did the conversion.
Agree that some more photos would help. Either way; it's great to have!
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2020 at 1:12pm
My guess is churchill or one of the other converters
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2020 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by Zed Zed wrote:

It looks to be a very clean sporterised SMLE. Treasure it! You are lucky to be able to own your Father's rifle. I suspect it may be converted by Parker Hale; which is a good thing if it can be proven.

i tend to agree with Zed on this , enjoy it as it is , family heirloom passed to you , 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2020 at 2:09pm
Any U.S. import markings would vary by import date.
"ENGLAND" would before 1968, but it should also have a British "NP" or "BNP" (crown) stamp with a proof pressure usually listed in tons per (square) ", Probably with a 2.222" stamp also.
Not very helpful.
Post i968 there should be the importers address all be it abbreviated, probably something like "IAC Alex VA", or "CAI St Alb VT".
There were many bespoke gun shops doing such conversions, but they will usually have the name stamped somewhere, this is totally separate from any import stamps.

I agree with the others you have a nice looking sporter there with some family history.
Keep it, shoot it &enjoy it.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
The Armourer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Armourer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2020 at 2:12pm
removed
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2020 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by The Armourer The Armourer wrote:

It does have Civilian UK proof marks as can be seen in the pictures (and, which I already 
commented on 13 hours ago)

The possibility that shamu missed that part is highly probable and should be treated as such The Armourer.  Yin Yang
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2020 at 7:38am
"Was sold out of service into the UK civilian gun-trade (hence the civilian proof markings)"
Yes I know!
I expanded on the somewhat sketchy & incomplete information for the sake of an an admitted newbie who may not have know which mark you were referring to.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2020 at 9:10am
What I want to see is a picture of the top of the barrel where P H or Churchill put their info.
I`m saying Churchill because the ends of their forends were usually rounded where as the custom P H`s were angled.
Not that it matters, but the EJ Churchills are real nice and not as common as the P H`s
heppaloc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heppaloc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2020 at 8:19pm
I looked on the barrel near the end and there were not any markings unfortunately. i did take some other pics to try to decipher conversion company
heppaloc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heppaloc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2020 at 8:19pm
heppaloc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heppaloc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2020 at 8:20pm
heppaloc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heppaloc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2020 at 8:21pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic