Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > 7.62 Enfield
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Close Enough for Government Work...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Close Enough for Government Work...
    Posted: December 30 2020 at 9:28am
Range time today is over. Too windy and I'm cold.
Sighting in at 100 yards and I was in the red after four shots. (The reproduction No32Mk1 is a 2" MOA for every click on the drums.)
The 12mph NNE wind played heII with me as did the wind chill factor but, the faux L8A5T is a definite shooter. No tack driver with that tiny scope but a definite shooter non the less. My ten shot group that I had counted by  the Range Master was well within the original requirements set forth by the British Ministry of Defense and I have no doubt that Mr. Laidler himself would have been somewhat impressed 😉.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 9:45am
I wish it was 50 here..it warmed up to 42..but we're sliding back again. Freezing rain this aft w/snow to follow
Loose wimmen tightened here
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 9:53am
Those are pretty much summer temperatures up here in Manitoba!
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 10:04am
That's a good result! I'd be happy with that.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 10:22am
Even though the scope is a reproduction, it is very humbling to know that there were men using such an instrument 75 plus years ago to stop the advancement of the enemy from distances far greater than I will ever attempt. Given a choice I will use my M700P with the Baby Hubble telescope attached to stop the enemy from another zip code thank you kindly😉...
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 10:51am
Originally posted by hoadie hoadie wrote:

I wish it was 50 here..it warmed up to 42..but we're sliding back again. Freezing rain this aft w/snow to follow
The actual temperature was not bugging me rather the 12mph wind blowing right into my face...
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 12:41pm
that is a shooter in my book , congrats 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 3:27pm
That's yet another reason I don't like the No32!
Yeah I know its a classic.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 3:45pm
I look through that scope and to me it is no different than looking through an empty toilet paper roll and then to add insult to injury, after I have fired a round through the rifle using the No32 scope, I end up having to look through a bigger spotting scope to clarify if I actually hit the target.
Whereas if I use my M700P with the 6-24×56 scope with a 35mm main tube, side focus and MilDot rectical with integrated red/green laser dot sighting system, at 200 yards I can tell what color your eyes are and if they are dilated or not.
The faux L8A5T is at the very least, a fine example of what used to be and will be enjoyed as such . It will be used only for family fun shoots and the likes. For competition I believe that I will stick with my Remington...
shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 4:50am
Nice shooting even in adverse balmy weather, it`s been down right bone chilling here lately and very humid with wind, which makes it feel even worse.
I`d take 50deg with gale force winds all day long. Big smile
Lead from the front; eliminate all obstacles...
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 6:49am
Goosic, excellent results as always.  Although 50 deg for some will seem warm, with that wind blowing straight on you and not being used to those temps, I’d bet that affected your group.  I’ll be very interested to see how it does on the SR-1 Target.  Remember to post he target at 100 yards, and not at 200!  

Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 7:06am
100 yards only with this rig. Too much of a guessing game at the  200 yard mark.
AussieShooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AussieShooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2021 at 9:37am
Originally posted by Goosic Goosic wrote:

Even though the scope is a reproduction, it is very humbling to know that there were men using such an instrument 75 plus years ago to stop the advancement of the enemy from distances far greater than I will ever attempt. Given a choice I will use my M700P with the Baby Hubble telescope attached to stop the enemy from another zip code thank you kindly😉...

I am very late to this thread but you had me laughing out loud at your description.  I love the reference to the Baby Hubble telescope!  ClapSo true. It’s quite amazing what these men were asked to do and could do with this equipment.  Smile
"Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges" - Tacitus
The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic