Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Enfield-Rifles Forum Virtual Match

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 23>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Enfield-Rifles Forum Virtual Match
    Posted: December 30 2020 at 1:44pm
Edits/Revisions:

14 Jan 2021 added Ishapore 7.62 and L8 series rifles (and equivalent) to Class 1 Service Rifle.  Allow sitting at bench unsupported for Service Rifle Class and .22 Trainer Class.  Clarified types of iron sights allowed. 

3 Jan 2021 added scoring method

31 Dec 2020 added a Third Class, .22 Trainers

In this post I will kickoff the Enfield Rifles Forum Virtual Match.  Those who are willing and interested will have a friendly match and submit photos of your target to this Topic.  

The goal of the match is to encourage our members to get out and shoot your Lee Enfield rifles.  There are no awards given other than your own personal satisfaction of doing your best and enjoying these rifles at the range.

I would like to keep the match Rules as informal as possible. I propose three classes of rifles:

1.  Lee Enfield Service Rifle
     Any Lee Enfield in .303 Calibre including Sporters
     Ishapore 2A rifles in 7.62, L8 series rifles or equivalent with standard service weight barrel in 7.62.
     Iron sights only (including target type aperture sights with no magnification).
     Shot prone unsupported (no sandbags or rests, sling is allowed).  
     Sitting at a bench (no support under rifle, off the elbows) also allowed for those who have trouble shooting prone or range does not accommodate prone position.  

2.  Lee Enfield “Unlimited” 
     Any Lee Enfield rifle including Sporters, (T) Rifles and L39/L42, Envoy, Enforcer.
     Any sight (including scopes).  
     Shot in any position including off bench with support under rifle. 

3.  Lee Enfield .22 Trainer
     Any Lee Enfield rifle chambered for .22 Long Rifle (original or conversions)
     Iron sights only (including target type aperture sights with no magnification).
     Shot Prone unsupported (no sandbags or rests, sling is allowed). 
     Sitting at a bench (no support under rifle, off the elbows) also allowed for those who have trouble shooting prone or range does not accommodate prone position. 

For the first match I propose to keep this as simple as possible.  For Class 1 and Class 2 Full Bore, 10 shots on a NRA Short Range (SR) target at 200 yards (or meters), or on a NRA SR-1 target at 100 Yards (or meters).  

To help you identify if you have the correct target for the Class 1 and Class 2 Full Bore rifles, the diameter of the scoring rings “in black” are as follows:

SR Target at 200 Yards

X ring   3.0 inches
10 ring 7.0 inches
9 ring 13.0 inches

SR-1 Target at 100 Yards

X ring   1.35 inches
10 ring 3.35 inches
9 ring   6.35 inches

For Class 3 Rifles, the NRA SR Target reduced to 50 yards (for .22 Rimfire only) shall be used.  This target is available online for printing at www.ray-vin.com. 

Scoring

The target must only have ten shots.  Sighting in the rifle must be done on a different target, no target pasters should be on the target you submit for score.  Score your own target and provide the value including the number of hits in the X ring, example, 97-3x.   

NRA scoring rules will apply, if the bullet hole touches the score ring, the value of that ring applies, see figure below:

I realize that it may be some time before many of us can get to a range because of COVID or winter weather.  There is no timeline here, I’m suggesting we leave this open for submitting Target photos thru the end of 2021.  That might encourage more of you to work and improve your scores.  

Please respond if you are interested.  I’m open to suggestions too, but let’s try and keep this simple. 

Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 2:22pm
I am all for this! Love the idea. This will give me some motivation to get out and fire the ol' gals a bit.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 2:25pm
Question. Iron sights for Lee Enfield Service rifle. Does that include something like a P-H aperture sight?
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 2:43pm
HT, yes, I’m including the target type aperture sights in the Service Rifle class. Like the old UK NRA SR(b) Rules allowed. 

I thought about which rifle class they would be more appropriate for and decided they are closer to the service sights on No. 4 rifles than they are to scopes.  They really don’t provide any advantage over the No. 4 Mk 1 service sight at 100 or 200 yards.  They do put the No. 1 rifle on more even footing with the No. 4 Rifle.  

I’m expecting that our shooters will identify the rifle they are shooting along with the type of sighting.  A photo of the rifle is suggested.  

Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 2:49pm
Can I submit the target i shot at this morning with my Unlimited Class Enfield? I posted the photos earlier today on the 7.62 Enfield section. It is the 12"×18" Dirty Bird target...
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 2:53pm
Targets available here in small quantities for just $5.00 Hug
https://tjtarget.com/product/black-sr-1-rifle-targets-100-yard/

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 3:28pm
Gossic, I want to be as accommodating as possible, and therefore I won’t say no. 

However, if we want to be able to compare our scores against each other, we have to use the same target.  You had a photo of a SR-1 target next to the Dirty Bird, can you reshoot your 7.62 conversion on that SR-1 target?  I’m suggesting we leave this “event” open for all of 2021 and at the end of the year, give recognition to the top scores of each Rifle Class.  If this catches on, we can continue this each year. 

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 3:30pm
Thumbs Up
Hopefully I'll actually get to a range which is open this year!
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by britrifles britrifles wrote:

Gossic, I want to be as accommodating as possible, and therefore I won’t say no. 

However, if we want to be able to compare our scores against each other, we have to use the same target.  You had a photo of a SR-1 target next to the Dirty Bird, can you reshoot your 7.62 conversion on that SR-1 target?  I’m suggesting we leave this “event” open for all of 2021 and at the end of the year, give recognition to the top scores of each Rifle Class.  If this catches on, we can continue this each year. 

I have another reservation for next Wednesday and I get three free SR-1 targets everytime I show up so, yes I can reshoot it.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 4:29pm
It'll be several months till I can post results as winter has hit us pretty good. Sounds fun!
Doco Overboard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doco Overboard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 4:37pm
I don't know how well I do but sounds like fun.
Ill have to get some targets together, weather's not bad around here.
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 10:27pm
This is a great idea! I'm in when I can get back to the range.
One suggestion! How about a 50 metre or 50 yard target for the .22 trainer's! using the C50 type target.

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 3:21am
I'm in for the match

There is a SR target  reduced to 50 yards available online as a download (should be able to tweek it to 50 meters) I have used it to practice offhand with my 22
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 4:41am
This sounds fun, but unfortunately the club I belong to has shut down the ranges again because of the Ontario lock down, tentatively in effect for the next 28days.

Lead from the front; eliminate all obstacles...
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 5:23am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 6:08am
Zed, I like your suggestion.  

I have edited the first post to add a .22 Trainer Class.  

Glad to see the interest building up.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 23>
  Share Topic