Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Enfield-Rifles Forum Virtual Match

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 23>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2021 at 11:25am
Thanks. Too rich for my blood I'm afraid.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2021 at 12:19pm
Pricy for sure, but I shoot two or three matches a month and it’s been well worth it.   The scope stand was not cheap either, nor was the spotting scope.  Buy once, cry once, when it comes to shooting gear. 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2021 at 1:03pm
No argument from me.Beer
I have a cart & was thinking of a bit of an upgrade.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2021 at 2:06pm
OT for sure, but I’ve found that if your serious about something, go get the best you can buy, the first time.  That way you buy it once instead of two or three times....

Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2021 at 10:29am
That's some great shooting Britrifles; I'm jealous! Today I decided to loosen all the main screws half a turn on my Enfields because It' likely to be a few months before I get to shoot 200m. 
We are entering a new phase of confinement here! It's not fun any more! All work and no play. 

I'm interested by your results with the N140; I've been testing that on the few occasions I got to shoot last year. 38.6 grains for the No1MkII* seems nice for that rifle. the last outing I managed a 5 shot group of about 2MOA from prone with sling at 200m.

Totally agree that when buying equipment; buy quality. I still use my Snap On spanners everyday at work; and they were bought in the 80's. To quote engineer Henry Royce (Rolls-Royce). The quality remains long after the price is forgotten!
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2021 at 12:50pm
Zed, loosening the main screw is a good idea, I’ve always done that when I don’t plan to shoot the rifle for a while.  Over about the last year, I’ve loosened the main screw after each time I shoot, then tighten it up the night before I go to the range.  I do not detect a shift in the MPI on the target doing this.  

I’ve compiled the results of my N140 loads (all with 174 gr SMKs) yesterday.  I shot 4 ten shot groups thru both of my No. 4 rifles mentioned above for each load: 38.5, 39.0, 39.5 and 40.0 gr.  The 39.5 gr load did best, slightly better than 40.0g (which was second for smallest groups).  38.5 had a few great groups (under 2 MOA), but also was prone to vertical stringing on some of the groups (to 4 MOA) which made it unreliable.  

The average group size in prone with aperture sights for 39.5 gr was just under 3 MOA for 10 shots.  That is all within the NRA SR Target 10 ring.  Excluding the widest shot in the group, the remaining 9 shots grouped at an average of 2.3 MOA.  I’m happy with that result and will use 39.5 gr, it shot well from both my 0L and 69L Long Branch No. 4 rifles. 

I just wish I had bought more N140 when I could have, only have 12 lbs left.  I’ll use it when my Varget supply runs out.  

Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2021 at 12:40pm
I have some Norma 202 to test as well; because the N140 is not available from my local gunshop. 
But the N140 is looking good so may have to find a regular supply. I've not decided on the best load for the No4's yet. I was starting at 39 gr for the No4's because they seem to prefer a slightly higher load than the No1MkIII*
Unfortunately it's going to be a while before I can get testing again.

Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2021 at 6:09am
Varget has been of the shelf here for a long time now.
I did find a new  8 lb keg for a rather old fashioned price, so am pleased about that.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2021 at 6:13am
Dang, I wish I could find more here! 
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2021 at 7:22am
Originally posted by britrifles britrifles wrote:

Dang, I wish I could find more here! 
Bruno's Shooters Supply has the Varget, IMR4064, IMR4895, N135, N140 along with a bunch of other powders. He is currently selling them in batches of ten 1lb bottles for the small sum of,"wait for it,"......$400.00
Walk in's only!!! No phone orders, no on-line orders, and no kiss on the cheek with a reach around either after what he has done to your butt.
He also has the BL-C2 and the IMR8208.
I've know the man for going on 35 years now and he is still a p***k when it comes to things like this. If you want and need it, he will get it, but you will pay his price and be happy about it or, wait it out like I have done in the past...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2021 at 7:30am
well, I might have to drive out there and get some.  I’d probably pay the $40 per lb too.  
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2021 at 9:30am
Sounds like normal European prices to me!
I wish I lived in the USA!Wink
Sinnlover View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sinnlover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2021 at 8:03am
Happy to report I had my first shoot since November this morning.
I won’t enter today’s result in the match as they were very poor LOL 
But it was good to be out having a blat and to blow the cobwebs out.
I will head out in the next few days for a proper shoot.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2021 at 11:51am
Glad you got out Sinnlover.

Shot in a CMP M1 and Vintage Military Match today.  Weather was good, rain held off.  Heavy overcast, but still could see the bullet holes at 200 yards thru the spotting scope.  

My first sighter from my Long Branch No. 4 Mk 1/3 was in the 9 ring at 12:00.  I forgot to move my rear sight back after I was testing those N140 loads.  I was shooting my usual match load of 174 gr SMK and 40.0 gr Varget.  Came down 2 clicks and the next 4 sighters were all in the X ring.  Too bad they don’t count for score....After the five sighters, we paste up the targets and go back to work on the 30 round match.  

I was happy with my prone slow fire target, 100-7x.  

Prone rapid was 99-3x.  OK.  But fell apart in Standing slow fire, 88-1x.  Aughh, I was hoping I was heading for a mid 290’s score. I can normally manage a standing score in the low to mid 90’s. 

Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2021 at 11:00am
wow ! that is great shooting. 
Thumbs Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2021 at 12:29pm
Thanks Zed.  But, this would have only been a 97/100 on the targets you use for your Vintage Service Rifle Matches in France.  The NRA SR 200 yard Target X ring is about the same size as the 10 ring on your 200m Target.  

The NRA SR Target is used for Standing slow fire and sitting rapid fire stages in the NRA/CMP High Power matches.  Prone slow fire is shot at 600 yards on the NRA MR target.  The CMP runs the vintage rifle matches all at 200 yards for convenience and to not make it too difficult for new shooters.  

If you guys want a challenge, try shooting a 100-10x on the MR target at 600 yards with your LE.  That’s a 1 MOA X ring.  I’ve seen it done with a AR Service Rifle in prone.  The real difficulty at that distance is changing wind conditions. I’ve shot numerous consecutive x’s, then not recognize the wind change and a shot is blown out into the 7 ring.

If you don’t have access to a 600 yard range, you can use the NRA MR-31 target, which is the MR Target reduced for 100 yards.  Or the NRA MR-52 target, the MR Target reduced for 200 yards.  The X ring on the MR-31 is only 0.75 inches in diameter and the 10 ring is 1.75 inches in diameter. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 23>
  Share Topic