Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Enfield-Rifles Forum Virtual Match

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 23>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2021 at 6:17am
So you trust the monitor and not your own eyes, I count 6-x.

I was out last week with my 1915 smle full military, shot worse then my original submission.
My eyes arn`t good enough anymore to hold a good enough sight picture.  I took 4 warming shots, the first 2 were a 10 and 10x the next 2 were high left out on the 6 ring. Tired out my eyes straining on the first 2 I guess. The following next 10 shots made an excellent minute of man pattern, score was 70 with 1x

Lead from the front; eliminate all obstacles...
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2021 at 6:41am
Originally posted by shiloh shiloh wrote:

So you trust the monitor and not your own eyes, I count 6-x.

I was out last week with my 1915 smle full military, shot worse then my original submission.
My eyes arn`t good enough anymore to hold a good enough sight picture.  I took 4 warming shots, the first 2 were a 10 and 10x the next 2 were high left out on the 6 ring. Tired out my eyes straining on the first 2 I guess. The following next 10 shots made an excellent minute of man pattern, score was 70 with 1x

Shiloh, the bullet impact indications on the monitor are not to scale size (diameter).  The monitor computes the location of the center of the bullet then adds the radius of the bullet, either .224 or .308 depending on operator selection.  The CMP did tests with a paper target with score rings placed over top of the electronic target and the Army Marksmanship Unit was satisfied that these electronic targets are quite precise.

Old eyes will greatly benefit from using reading glasses so you don’t have to strain to focus on the front sight.  Believe me, I know…I probably would not even hit the target without them.  Don’t worry if the aiming mark is blurry, that’s what it should be, the human eye cannot focus on front sight and target at the same time.  

Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2021 at 1:08pm
I did get to the range tis weekend with one of my No8's for the .22 Trainer 50 metre challenge.
It was shot sitting, with elbows on the bench. Standard sights and testing out a new Hornady .22 ammo.
Quite pleased with the ammo in this first test. (it wasn't quite so good in the SMLE).
It's either 97 or 98/100 and 1X depending how you score at 10 o'clock, which appears to have grazed the line but fully broken it.

I think I need to get some corrective lenses for shooting with the standard rear sight. 
Having been shooting the Parker dioptre on the 1918 SMLE recently; coming back to the standard sight made me realise that my eyesight is not as good as it was!

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2021 at 1:42pm
Awesome Zed, glad you got out.

I’ll update the 2021 Virtual Match Results post with this score.  Looks like a 98-1x to me. The beauty of us all using the same SR target scaled to the range is that the scores are comparable.  However, you are at a slight disadvantage by having the target at 50m rather than 50 yds. I’d expect if you had shot that at 50 yds, it would have been a 99-2x. That 4:00 shot is darn near at the 10 ring.  Good shooting. 
Olddust View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olddust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2022 at 2:55pm
Anyone going out for 2022?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2022 at 3:19pm
Absolutely!   The Virtual Match will continue.   Post pictures of your target. 

Olddust View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olddust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2022 at 8:05pm
Yes of course!
  I have only shot my new to me Enfield two sessions, all of a rest to get the sight zeroed so it doesn't count for the thread.. My range has one Prone spot and I plan to give it a try next outing. Any advice for a novice “position” shooter?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2022 at 6:17am
Olddust, makes sure you read the first post here, it describes the different categories (classes) and the type of target to use. If you are more comfortable shooting off a bench, you can shoot in the “Unlimited” match.  You can also shoot off the bench if you hold the rifle without any artificial support (bench rest, sandbags, etc.) to shoot in the Service Rifle match category. 

Holding hard in prone requires the use of a sling, it pulls the rifle into your shoulder and helps steady the rifle.  How to properly use a sling is subject in itself. 

I position my body at approx 30 deg angle to the direction of fire, left elbow extended as far forward as you can, directly under the rifle.  Right elbow is placed outward from the body at a comfortable angle from vertical. I’m describing a right handed shooter of course. To align the sights on the target, you keep your left elbow position fixed on the ground and shift your body forward or back to change elevation and rotate your body around your left elbow to align the sights left to right. 

Some shooters take a body position inline with the direction fire and pull up the right knee, I can’t do that, it places my head too far back on the stock.  My right cheekbone rests on my right hand over the base of my thumb allowing me to completely relax my neck muscles which is critical for accurate prone shooting.  The trick is to find your “natural point of aim” where you are completely relaxed and not “muscling” the rifle to align the sights on the target.   Once you get set up, do some dry firing and carefully watch the movement of the front sight on the target as the striker is released. 

Having your head position back behind your right hand is an advantage in rapid fire stages as it allows you to work the bolt without moving your head off the stock.  I’ve learned to shoot “Mauser” style and roll my head to the left as I work the bolt.  With a bit of practice, you can shoot the rapid fire stage just as accurate as slow fire. I’m speaking of typical vintage and modern military type matches here…

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2022 at 9:48am
https://imgur.com/a/0DAobye

Not sure if this link will work.  A 60 second clip of my Prone Rapid Fire stage at a CMP match several years ago.  Shows my prone shooting position, note body angle relative to the firing line and position of elbows and head position on stock and grip (right hand).

I made two mistakes here, one was to chamber the round before I got into position, this is a rule violation I did not realize at the time.  The second mistake was a fumble on recharging the magazine. 

The prone rapid stage is 80 seconds, the clock starts on the command “Targets” which is the command to raise the targets and for the shooters to drop into the prone position. “Cease Fire!” is called at 80 seconds. 

I had to truncate the video of the last few seconds, just before my final shot, the Imgur allows a max video of 60 seconds. I finished the ten round string in 61 seconds.  You can see that the shooting pace is quite slow, 80 seconds is plenty of time. 

AussieShooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AussieShooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2022 at 10:49am
Great video Britfiles.  I can see how chambering a round before getting into position could be a safety risk!  I don't have similar video of myself, but I feel my head is tilted far more than yours, possibly contorting my view - you seem to have a nice line down the rifle. I had intended to enroll in an Appleseed weekend last year, but my schedule wouldn't allow it - hopefully later this year. 

I have another question on eyeglasses.  I wear progressive trifocals - they work great for my everyday use - computer, reading, driving.  But when in a non-standard position, e.g., shooting, I wonder if my eyes are looking through the wrong part of the lens as I have some trouble sighting in - especially having trouble locating the front sights.   I am going to pay more attention when I get back out to the range, but have others noticed this with their glasses or had any equivalent experience?? 

MODERATOR: if you want to move this to a different thread this let me know.
Thanks,

"Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges" - Tacitus
The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2022 at 10:50am
I candidly have no idea when I'll get to the range.
I didn't make it last year because the place was mainly closed.
This year we've moved & ranges are as rare as hens teeth, it pretty much a shotgun for ducks & geese area only.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2022 at 11:00am
Originally posted by AussieShooter AussieShooter wrote:

Great video Britfiles.  I can see how chambering a round before getting into position could be a safety risk!  I don't have similar video of myself, but I feel my head is tilted far more than yours, possibly contorting my view - you seem to have a nice line down the rifle. I had intended to enroll in an Appleseed weekend last year, but my schedule wouldn't allow it - hopefully later this year. 

I have another question on eyeglasses.  I wear progressive trifocals - they work great for my everyday use - computer, reading, driving.  But when in a non-standard position, e.g., shooting, I wonder if my eyes are looking through the wrong part of the lens as I have some trouble sighting in - especially having trouble locating the front sights.   I am going to pay more attention when I get back out to the range, but have others noticed this with their glasses or had any equivalent experience?? 

MODERATOR: if you want to move this to a different thread this let me know.
Thanks,

My optometrist writes me a glasses prescription for the right lens to focus on the front sight based on the sight radius length.   It also has a bifocal insert at the bottom of the lens.  It does make the target appear quite blurry, but you will gain a higher level of accuracy with your focus set on the front sight.  

I used to use cheap readers from the drug store.  1.5 to 1.75 worked fairly well for me.  

Olddust View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olddust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2022 at 12:01pm
Thank you for the advice and video. I will give it a try and report back after my next work rotation.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2022 at 2:24pm
AussieShooter, the Appleseed program is a great way to start your journey into competitive rifle shooting.  I’ve evolved my methods somewhat over the years since I did my first Appleseed clinic.  They would frown on some of my methods now.   But, the journey is all about finding out what works for you!

I have somewhat of a disability, three of my neck vertebrae are fused together, so it’s very difficult for me to crank my head up enough in the prone position to get comfortable eye alignment thru the sights.  I had to get the lowest height Scope mount available for my AR because of this. I have to rest my head on my right thumb to be able to take the strain off my neck.  Prone position is uncomfortable for me, which is not conducive to accurate shooting.  But, I’ve learned to adapt, adjust my position for what works for me.  That’s the secret to this game.  I surprised the he!! out of the guy scoring for me and working the targets when I put  ten consecutive shots into the X ring in prone slow fire in a match last year with my No.4.  The RO commented when he handed me the trophy “… and he did it with a Lee Enfield”, well, that goes to show you in this country, most don’t realize that the LE makes an excellent rifle for the Vintage Military Rifle match. “Not invented here” mentality.  Us commonwealth folks know better…

I don’t say this to blow my horn, but the Lee Enfield has got to be the best rifle for vintage match shooting there is.  Highly accurate and a fast working bolt for rapid stages. The only downside it has is a rear sight not adjustable for windage.  90% of the time, that is of no consequence, but sometimes the cross wind at 200 yards is enough to require a hold over to keep shots in the 10 ring. 

Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2022 at 1:40pm
That's a great video Britrifles.
I noticed there was a lot of brass raining your direction from the neighbour!
At some of our ranges they use a board seperator between lanes to catch the brass.

Looking forward to this years compaetition; hopefully get a few targets from my wife and daughter as well. 
Our service rifle competitions should resume this spring; after 2 years of cancellations.
Probably won't have time to get much practice.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2022 at 3:02pm
Glad to hear you will be back into match shooting Zed.  I hope we can encourage others here on the forum to take this up.   I’ve met many good friends this way, they will go out of their way to help you too.  
Those hot brass cases can be a problem!  I’ve had one drop down in my shooting coat.  

I shot my last match in early December and I’m already noticing my standing scores have dropped.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 23>
  Share Topic