Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed1862 Snider Enfield/new brunswick Canada

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1862 Snider Enfield/new brunswick Canada
    Posted: January 03 2021 at 6:28am
This has been identified as a Snider Enfield. I believe it belonged to a relative Col. Douglas Wetmore who was stationed in St. George New Brunswick at Fort Hill during the Fenian threat (that didn't amount to anything at all) It's in excellent condition. I've tried to get the markings so any information on this would be wonderful.  I seem to be having trouble uploading the images though
britrifles View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2021 at 12:55pm
We will try to help you out, there are a few members here with Snider Enfields.  This is not a Lee Enfield, it is a single shot breach loading rifle converted from the pattern 1853 muzzle loading rifle-musket in .577 Calibre.  This conversion was developed in 1864 by Jacob Snider.  

sarasparks View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2021 at 1:38pm
How do I upload photos?  I have several with the date and identifying marks which perhaps would be of interest. It says 1862 on it.  I'm confused, if it has that date but they were only converted after that.

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2021 at 3:17pm
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2021 at 3:38pm
testing:

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2021 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by sarasparks sarasparks wrote:

How do I upload photos?  I have several with the date and identifying marks which perhaps would be of interest. It says 1862 on it.  I'm confused, if it has that date but they were only converted after that.

Yes, the Snider Enfield is a conversion rifle using the lock, stock and barrel as the starting point.  The locks were made prior to 1864 based on the Pattern 1853 design, although the Mk III Snider Enfield was built up as a new rifle.  
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2021 at 5:51am
Sarasparks;

Welcome. Sniders used to be quite common..but seemed to have dried up over last 15 years (Shoulda got one when I had the opportunity).

As for the fenian raids not amounting to anything at all, I would beg to differ...especially where I am.(Niagara)
There was quite a battle fought right here in Ridgeway, which saw the Queen's Own Rifles routed by the fenians. A number of attempts to blow-up the vital canal locks in the Thorold area were attempted by the Fenians.
Intel had told the Canadian gov't about a major force of fenians being assembled outside of buffalo to invade the Niagara area - which resulted in all available forces being rapidly transported to Thorold(Ontario) from all eastern provinces, as well as Ontario. It resulted in the largest military encampment
ever seen in Canada to that date.
Fortunatley - for all concerned - the Fenians learned of the action taken by Canada, & the American gov't began to intervene with the Fenians. The action was called off, & after a month or so, the Canadians all returned home.(Although the occasional Fenian individuals attempted actions on their own - but were handled by local police)
Loose wimmen tightened here

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2021 at 5:56am
Sorry should have clarified, here in New Brunswick it didn't amount to anything in fact there's a detailed account you might enjoy that was written at the time https://dalspace.library.dal.ca/bitstream/handle/10222/62406/dalrev_vol19_iss2_pp197_204.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y&fbclid=IwAR3XkT0J10seIsZTQllo4J2rJyN8HVOuTfUtdPJNSeGm23eomKrO7xq7LkQ
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2021 at 11:47am
Here is what you should be seeing.
Sorry I had to post here not in PM to get the image to load.
Obviously these are my files not yours though but it should give you an idea.

A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2021 at 3:16pm
theres another british site that specializes in this era i have posted here before , dont have it at my fingertips right now , look back on older posts of the antique varieties 

got on my other computer and came back with the link - these fols are into the older ones more than the newer .............

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2021 at 6:52pm
So this site deals mostly with the newer versions..not the antiques?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2021 at 4:42am
You will get much more information on the British Militaria Forum (link is in the post sent by A Square 10) which deals with the Victoria era muzzle loaders and breach loader rifled muskets.  There is a form there for the Snider Enfield.  

The Lee Enfield is an entirely different rifle. We have occasionally discussed other rifles on this forum, but you will find the Snider experts on the BMF.  
devrep View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2021 at 4:44am
Originally posted by The Armourer The Armourer wrote:

Originally posted by sarasparks sarasparks wrote:

So this site deals mostly with the newer versions..not the antiques?

The heading on the Forum says "The site for everything Lee Enfield", it doesn't say "The site for everything Snider Enfield"

Maybe we should also be discussing Royal Enfield's.

If you were on a forum with the focus on Ford autos would you expect to have much discussion on BMW's ?
seems a bit harsh.  
double gun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2021 at 4:48am
Thank you for enlightening me.  I know nothing about rifles, only that I'd found this one in the family home when preparing it for sale.  In an effort to know something about it I googled Snider Enfield and this site appeared...probably because one was mentioned in a post...hence my appearance on this site.  God knows I wouldn't want to intrude or take away from any discussions on Lee-Enfields or divert the course of any posts in that regard.
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2021 at 5:09am
Sarasparks,

You will be most welcome at the "British Militaria Forums" site.
The Snider is one of the main rifles discussed there.

Actually blokes, all arms made at Enfield lock are Enfields. This site isn't labelled Lee -Enfield. so a Snider -Enfield is as much an Enfield as a Lee Enfield...though in smaller letters this site Does say, "For every thing Lee -Enfield".....

All the best,
Richard.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2021 at 5:16am
I now understand. As I said, I know nothing about rifles or what I have and one of the moderators has given me a site where I will get all the information that I'm looking for. I apologize for my lack of knowledge.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic