Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No8 .22 Family challenge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No8 .22 Family challenge
    Posted: January 03 2021 at 7:47am
Yesterday we had a our first day at the local range for 2021.
So we took the recently scoped No8 .22 trainer and some small targets for a family challenge.
My daughter (Target 1) , my wife (Target 2) and myself (Target 3). 
So the competition was; 10 shots each on the bigger target for the first round. 
Then 5 shot's each on the small target.(this one is the 10metre air rifle target, it's tiny).

No using the spotting scope until after completion of the target and no practice.

To keep things equal, we all shot seated with a front rest. This is because my daughter need the rest to support the rifle; (she's 9 and 3/4).

We added the scores of both targets to get the result. (a cut line scores high).

It was close! The Wife won with 119 scored; I was second with 118 and my daughter a very decent 115. 
Obviously the 10m targets drop your scores considerably, and are not very forgiving when you pull a shot! To compare to the 10 ring on a C50 target; only one of these 45 shot's falls just outside the 10.

Next round will be with a standard sighted SMLE.22 on the C50 target.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Sgtrick View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgtrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2021 at 10:07am
Its really nice to see the whole family invoved in the sport. Great iidea with a little friendly competition. Nice rifle by the way. I'm looking for one of those.
Stanforth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2021 at 10:35am
Originally posted by Sgtrick Sgtrick wrote:

Its really nice to see the whole family invoved in the sport. Great iidea with a little friendly competition. Nice rifle by the way. I'm looking for one of those
You may have to pay quite a lot for one but you will never regret it. 

Life.. a sexually transmitted condition that is invariably fatal.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2021 at 10:38am
^^^^^
This.
Its surprising how few families actually shoot together.
Wife tried the 10-22
"Too difficult & clumsy to hold"
The No5 carbine
"too heavy"
Then she tried the 357 mag Dan Wesson.
fired 6 rounds, mouse phart .38 spl loads, hit a paper plate 4 times @ 15 yds.
Pronounced herself "trained enough"
hasn't touched it since.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2021 at 12:57pm
Zed, I hope you, your wife and daughter participate in our Lee Enfield Forum Virtual Match!  

devrep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote devrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2021 at 1:05pm
looks like a great family time Zed. fine shooting by all.
double gun
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2021 at 9:37am
We will compete in the virtual match. Probably mostly with the .22 Trainers. I've printed off some of those reduced targets.
I should get to the 200 metre range as well for the large calibre stuff. I'll have to get some targets for that. Normally I use the C200 which has an 8cm 10 ring, which is just about 3 & 3/16". 

My daughter does not currently have the strength to shoot without a front rest; so factor that in to the equation. But she'll probably be beating us when we switch to the standard prone position.

Our plan is to use a different rifle each time to compare. 
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2021 at 9:39am
what a great family shooting experience , 
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2021 at 9:45am
A photo from Saturdays challenge.
I am always impressed by the relaxed concentration that my daughter shows when shooting.
She's already giving me a run for my money! 

Our next family challenge will be with the 1918 SMLE .22. Open sights so bigger targets next time.

Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2021 at 10:07am
I would love a Lee Enfield .22! But way, way out of my price range. I do have a blast plinking with my Cooey 82 trainer, on which I mounted a No4 flip up (does not function as a flip up now). 
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2021 at 12:35pm
They can be expensive; but worth every penny! Thumbs Up

Stanforth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2021 at 2:42am
Originally posted by Zed Zed wrote:

They can be expensive; but worth every penny! Thumbs Up

I totally agree. Mine cost me £1,000 but it was one of the best buys I have made.
The Armourer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Armourer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2021 at 3:26am
removed
Stanforth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2021 at 9:46am
Mine is a No.8 bur fitted with AJ Parker target sights.
The Armourer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Armourer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2021 at 10:34am
removed
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2021 at 10:45am
I currently have 2x No8's; which is why I decided to scope one for a bit of fun; there being no competitions last year.
Also have a Lithgow No2MkIV* and a 1918 SSA made SMLE that has been converted to .22 by Parker Hale. This is one of my favourites; all original wood with plenty of all original dent's a 102 years of linseed oil. 
They are just so much fun to shoot!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic