Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No8 .22 Family challenge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2021 at 3:11pm
I really want a Cadet model NO7, but I just can't bring myself to drop that kind of money on any .22RF.
I like the shorter lighter barrel & would then have to replace the sights so I'm looking at $1500 or so.
On the not quite so dim side. Confused
The local L-E smiff tells me he's "almost getting round" to getting my .22Rf conversion fitted to the ShtLE No1 MkIII from last year.

Any day now,
any day now.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
The Armourer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Armourer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2021 at 12:56am
removed
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2021 at 7:47am
3 grand U.S.$ for the CNo7Mk1
1500 or so for the No7Mk1

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2021 at 7:57am
I totally appreciate the rarity of the rifle, but I can shoot a lot of .22 out of my 82 trainer for that price. Or put a Tremec 5 speed stick in my currently automatic Chevy truck! I really miss manual transmissions... sorry to get somewhat off topic!Smile
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2021 at 12:11pm
Just to add a note to Armourer's details of the .22 Enfields.
The No8's were built on both No4 and No5 receiver's. However I am not sure how many of each wer made.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Armourer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2021 at 12:50pm
removed
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2021 at 11:50am

I have 2 x No8's. One has the No5 type receiver and the other is the No4. Seen here (with the No4Mk1/2 on the left). The No5 type receiver is on the right and also has an ejector hole. The No4 type has not been taped so probably built on a new receiver.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2021 at 12:21pm
Zed. Do you happen to have one of those magazines that had an aftermarket .22 magazine welded into it?
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2021 at 12:30pm
No Goosic, unfortunately I don't. 
The No8's are purely single shot. The adjustable trigger mechanism takes up some of what would be the magazine space; plus there is a solid loading platform that extends back from the chamber.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2021 at 12:42pm
I have the single loading platform in a No4 mag that I use with for my .22 converted No4Mk1.  I have plans to convert a spare magazine using a .22 magazine like BSA did and I am looking for references.  Photos I have seen are pretty blurry...
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2021 at 12:46pm
Maybe Armourer can help out with more info. Meanwhile I'll check in Skennerton's bible to see if there's any dimensions.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2021 at 2:51pm
Its a magazine from something else thats inserted into a L-E magazine. I don't think its welded though there seems to be some kind of adapter involved.
detailed info & links here (scroll down a bit):

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Armourer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2021 at 1:25am
removed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Armourer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2021 at 1:36am
removed
Stanforth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2021 at 5:55am
You may be interested about the fate of the No.8 rifles held by the UK armed forces.

UK Shooting News

News about the target shooting sports and legal developments affecting British shooting

https://ukshootingnews.files.wordpress.com/2016/07/no8-rifle.jpg?w=624

Save the No.8s!

Minister says .22 rifles will become ‘scrap metal’

5 Replies

27 July 2016 – A defence minister, writing before the post-Brexit change in government, threatened to reduce the nation’s stocks of .22″ No.8 cadet training rifles to “scrap metal”.

Philip Dunne MP, who before Theresa May’s reshuffle was Minister for Defence Procurement, wrote to a concerned shooter, responding to concerns that the No.8 fleet would be destroyed instead of being sold off for future generations.

“The sale of weapons is strictly regulated by the UK Firearms Act 1968 and other legislation such as the International Non-Proliferation and Arms Control Regimes,” wrote Dunne in a letter dated 13th June and seen by UK Shooting News.

“Any small arms not sold to other governments are destroyed in line with tightly controlled procedures and sold as scrap metal,” continued the minister. “As this rifle has been declared unsupportable it will therefore be destroyed. This activity is undertaken by the Disposal Services Authority.”

Dunne is now a junior health minister and has no responsibilities in defence. His replacement as defence procurement minister is Harriett Baldwin MP. A new minister may be more willing to listen to reason.

Although shooters in New Zealand faced the same sort of problems, they wrote to their MPs, organised a campaign and persuaded their government to sell off their stock of No.8s. UKSN’s author now owns one, and it’s just as good as it was when it rolled off the BSA production line 60 years ago.

In spite of UKSN’s calls for the thousands of perfectly serviceable rifles in MoD hands to be saved for future generations to enjoy, the Ministry of Defence is adamant that it wants to destroy them all.

The No.8 is a single shot, hand fed .22″ training rifle. Designed in the late 1940s and built between 1949 and 1953 in its tens of thousands, the No.8 has inspired millions of cadets over many generations to take up the sport of target shooting.

Unlike proper military small arms used in war, the No.8 does not even have a magazine and cannot be modified to accept one. Its release into civilian hands poses no threat to world peace or security.

None of the shooting organisations – the NRA, NSRA, BASC or the Countryside Alliance – nor the various clubs and associations one would expect to have an interest in saving the No.8, such as the Lee Enfield Rifle Association, the Historic Breechloading Small Arms Association, or the Vintage Arms Association – has said anything publicly about rescuing the No.8 from the scrapman’s torch.

Life.. a sexually transmitted condition that is invariably fatal.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Armourer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2021 at 7:00am

removed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic