Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Stuff for Enfields > Wanted Items *Must Have 20 Points to Post.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

C7 22 cal training rifle magazine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Paul in Arizona View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul in Arizona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2021 at 2:50pm
Zed, thanks for that valuable information. Right now that rifle is at a gun store on consignment for sale
so its not handy for me to inspect for the varieties you point out. I will do that ASAP as I feel its important.
Enfield restorer and collector
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2021 at 11:59am
Paul, with regard to identifying the SMLE .22's.  It can get confusing! There many versions.
Most common are the No2MkIV*. Other's include Pattern 18 (rare) and Pattern 14.
However there are SMLE's converted to .22 with no change to original wrist stamps. 
For example, I have a 1918 SMLE in .22 sleeved by Parker Hale, that has no .22 stamps apart from the proof house stamps. These may have been private contract after WW for cadets or overseas contracts.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul in Arizona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2021 at 9:42am
thanks, I would be interested in seeing that
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2021 at 4:50am
I don’t think it would be that difficult to make a CNo.7 .22 magazine from a No. 4 magazine.  The follower is just a loading platform held up by the mag spring.  It is made from sheet metal. Might be able to make up a hardwood form block to shape a follower.  
RichardSuhkoi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichardSuhkoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2021 at 9:05pm
wow, there is a fair bit of interchangeability to absorb. 
I have in my junk an Enfield .22 follower and spring. I will try to find it and post it. Does that sound familiar? I assume it is for single shot use. Now I’m so curious. 
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul in Arizona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2021 at 2:33pm
yep, the 22 trainer I have is a #1 MKlll rifle in appearance. If they named this rifle a #2
 to designate it as a 22 trainer I was unaware of that. Interesting that my "handle" on the forum is, "restorer and collector" since I have 28 Enfields of one kind or another but after being on the forum and personally have had the great pleasure of meeting Goosic in person I think I'll change my "handle" 
to "greenhorn with a lot to learn." Unfortunately, although I like to "restore" them, to me, that's either putting new wood on them and/or improving the appearance of the metal parts. I have never gotten into
all the historical and detailed information like to many of you on the forum have, you're all amazing. I have one of the Skennerton books but have not thoroughly examined the contents. I am basically an M1 Garand nut and devote most of my gun hobby to those, all 10 of them, and have untold hours of learning through many of the publications and forums out there on Garand's, it's endless. In the past couple years I also developed an interest in the AR 15's and have 2 of them, a Bushmaster HB match and a custom made  in Phoenix, AZ by a gent who custom builds them at BTE (battle tested equipment.) Both AR's have a Vortex Viper 6 x 24 x 50 scope on them. The BTE has a 5 groove barrel, Nitride treated and with my hand loads is a tack driver. I'm a nut for small groups, every round I fire from the Garand's and the AR's is recorded so I learn which rifle shoots best with a particular load and then I shoot only that one unless I decide to experiment with a different load combination. I also do a lot of pistol shooting at C2 Tactical here in Scottsdale, I have a 40 gun collection of pistols including 7 1911 versions and many of the older model S&W revolvers. So much to do and so little time, HA! HA! AND, time may be running out on me since I'm 84 years young and soon to be 85.
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2021 at 11:08am
I think the interchangeability of the magazine is not the real issue. But the fact that the bolt head is completely different; and that will mean a No2MkIV* (SMLE.22) would not load a .22 round from the No7 mag'. 
If someone has both SMLE .22 and the magazine fed No7; maybe they could confirm.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
devrep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote devrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2021 at 9:42am
me too but I'm guessing he meant MkIII.
double gun
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2021 at 7:24am
im confused by the use of #3 in the above posts , the #3 rifle was the pattern 1914 , the trainer you mention in the OP is a no1 based rifle and most properly a #2 
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul in Arizona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2021 at 10:00pm
Goosic, thanks for the valuable information. The magazine you showed me is a single loader? I thought
 it would take at least 5 rounds, maybe 10. In any case, where can I look to get one?
Thanks,
Paul
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2021 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by Paul in Arizona Paul in Arizona wrote:

#3 and # 4 magazines are interchangeable, I have 6 #4's and 22 # 3's and I can switch magazines all day long and they work. The #4 has an extra catch at the bottom of it that the #3 doesn't need but no, matter, they are interchangeable. Thanks for your thoughts though.

Paul. The magazines maybe interchangeable but the magazine you are requesting will not function in your .22. The bolt heads are completely different. The British No 7 bolthead is undercut to make it possible to strip, feed and eject the much smaller-based .22LR round from the BSA converted magazine.  The No1 bolt is just the standard .303 one with an offset floating firing pin and a different extractor.  The single feed loading platform i showed you in my .22 will be your best option and much easier to locate...
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul in Arizona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2021 at 4:30pm
#3 and # 4 magazines are interchangeable, I have 6 #4's and 22 # 3's and I can switch magazines all day long and they work. The #4 has an extra catch at the bottom of it that the #3 doesn't need but no, matter, they are interchangeable. Thanks for your thoughts though.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2021 at 3:06pm
im not sure that to be true - the no1 rifles [which is what you have] used a different magazine than the no4 rifles , the Cno7 rifle was built on the no4 action as a single shot rifle and the box mag [although marked 22cal] was nothing but an empty box that collected your brass , 

the no7 mag [different rifle but still a no4] had an insert that was a repeatable loading mag , this was the only trainer with this function , these are rare rifles these days but it was a no4 based rifle and these are extremely difficult to find , as well as extremely expensive when you do and i do not think it will fit your no1 rifle mag well , ive often thought it might be something some entrepreneur might be able to justify producing if one could find a readily available 22cal mag to fit to the no4 box with an easy to manufacture adapter  and get to function but so far i know of no-one doing it , 

not meaning to throw water on this parade but imparting what ive learned of trainers in my 20 years of collecting them , 
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul in Arizona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2021 at 2:47pm
Well, I guess the "subject" pretty much says what I am looking for. I have a #1 MK lll 22 cal training
 rifle without a repeatable magazine but the one for the C7 22 cal built on the #4 rifle will fit my #3.
 Willing to pay for a rare item like this. Thanks, Paul in Arizona
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic