Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > 7.62 Enfield
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

7.62 extractor claw for a No4

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 7.62 extractor claw for a No4
    Posted: February 13 2021 at 6:33pm
I took an extractor claw from a 2A1 Ishapore and reprofiled it based off of the No4 extractor claw profile. Specifically the bottom area. Some file work and a small sanding disc on a Dremel tool and the fit and function is flawless. Empty case extraction is phenomenal as well...
MJ11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2021 at 2:37am
Well done.
The Spartans do not ask how many the enemies are but where they are
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2021 at 5:44am
Thank you very kindly  sir...
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2021 at 6:01am
I did the same thing on my DCRA conversions which originally had the .303 extractor.  I ground a bit of material off the underside edge of the extractor so it would push the case against the left side of the receiver.  That gave a weak ejection.  I ground off too much material on one of them, the extractor missed the extractor recess notch in the barrel and would not allow the bolt to lock up.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2021 at 7:05am
Originally posted by britrifles britrifles wrote:

I did the same thing on my DCRA conversions which originally had the .303 extractor.  I ground a bit of material off the underside edge of the extractor so it would push the case against the left side of the receiver.  That gave a weak ejection.  I ground off too much material on one of them, the extractor missed the extractor recess notch in the barrel and would not allow the bolt to lock up.
With the 2A1 extractor you just chamfer the bottom of the radius where the screw hole is and using a honing stone, stone the sides of the extractor.  Polish everything smooth that you just worked on and assemble into its new home. Takes time and patience and the end result is worth that extra effort...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2021 at 7:14am
Yes, I was using a 2A1 extractor.  And it works great.  I wasn’t able to get reliable ejection of the empty case using a 2A1 magazine. 
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2021 at 11:39am
Originally posted by britrifles britrifles wrote:

Yes, I was using a 2A1 extractor.  And it works great.  I wasn’t able to get reliable ejection of the empty case using a 2A1 magazine. 
I am currently working on fabrication of a tab onto a 2A1 magazine to assist with the extraction of a spent case when used in a No4/5 rifle...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2021 at 11:47am
Awesome, please post once you get it done.  That would be a great modification. 
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2021 at 10:34am
It's always great to find solutions to issues like this. Using what you have and modifying it.
Thumbs Up
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2021 at 10:40am
Originally posted by Zed Zed wrote:

It's always great to find solutions to issues like this. Using what you have and modifying it.
Thumbs Up
I truly appreciate that comment Zed.
Sometimes I wish that I didn't have to find a solution to most of my issues however...
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2021 at 10:49am
Generally not finding a solution is more frustrating! Wink
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
rufrdr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rufrdr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2021 at 4:50am
My 2A1 magazine works fine on my #4 for ejection of fired cases.  I very slightly bent the rear left lip up and as I work the action the rifle gets tipped to the left side because I'm left handed.  It works for me.
I had to reduce the front of the magazine body slightly to allow rounds to feed properly.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic