Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fazakerley Serial Number

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 105GunGrunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fazakerley Serial Number
    Posted: February 18 2021 at 8:28pm
From all of my research I can't seem to find any reference to the serial number on my No 4, Mk 2.  The left side of the receiver is stamped:

No4 Mk2 (F)
10/49 PF 140 299

Bolt and magazine have the same PF 140 299 number.

Help!!
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2021 at 7:18am
What are you trying to find out?
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2021 at 7:31am
what the gap is?
140#229?
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2021 at 7:54am
that is the serial number , straton has a list of which serial numbers are related to what contracts , i no longer have my copy - someone here that does can check it for you , 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2021 at 9:41am
It must be either:
a seven digit number.
Or
2 X 3-digit numbers separated by a space?
That's got me buffaloed.
I'm guessing a mis-strike, but its hard to guess second hand.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2021 at 10:16am
For a while they had a period in there for a thousands separator. Here is my 1948 as an example:

devrep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote devrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2021 at 10:20am
mine is July of 49 and is 5 digits.  it has a comma (looks more like a period) after the first 2 digits.  maybe your space is the comma between the first 3 and last 3 digits.
double gun
devrep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote devrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2021 at 10:21am

double gun
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2021 at 1:41pm
there ya go - explained , now whoever has a copy of stratton available tell hi which contract it was made for , 
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2021 at 1:42pm
devrep, you serial is 6 digits. Look at mine and then yours. It is only a 3 sided box around the PF. The first digit in your serial is 1. Plus, yours being a 7/49, mine a 7/48 the serial number on yours wouldn't be lower than mine. They didn't restart the numbering after switching to the Mk 2.

A_square, I was planning to do that when I get home tonight.
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2021 at 1:53pm
thanks , you reaffirm the fact that this is the best enfield site with all the best people , hope you and yours are safe and well , ill be looking at a new date after this covid crap goes away to try to get together for lunch , i felt bad our last meeting was so limited , 
devrep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote devrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2021 at 3:58pm
I didn't realize that the box was 3 sided.  as to our 2 serial numbers yours is a mk1 and mine is a mark 2.  would they be in the same serial number string?

Originally posted by Bear43 Bear43 wrote:

devrep, you serial is 6 digits. Look at mine and then yours. It is only a 3 sided box around the PF. The first digit in your serial is 1. Plus, yours being a 7/49, mine a 7/48 the serial number on yours wouldn't be lower than mine. They didn't restart the numbering after switching to the Mk 2.

A_square, I was planning to do that when I get home tonight.
double gun
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2021 at 4:06pm
Well I ain't ded yet!
I learned sumptin' today!
Thanks guys!
105GunGrunt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 105GunGrunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2021 at 8:23pm
Thanks for all of the input.  Upon closer inspection my 6 digits are separated by a ".", or period.  After a bit more research I found the accepted starting point for Mk 2s is PF100,000, thus mine was the 40,299th one made.  I also believe, but the information is sketchy, the initial batch was contracted to South Africa.

Thanks again for all of the help.
devrep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote devrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2021 at 9:24am
the fine fellows on this forum informed me that this mark on mine is a South African government mark.
double gun
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2021 at 7:15pm
ok , not that certain , but ill accept that for the time being , i was under the impression that SA markings were a "U" but im always open to learning new things of something i know less about - ive never owned a SA rifle myself , 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic