Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

anyone help me with marking

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: anyone help me with marking
    Posted: February 20 2021 at 7:46am
i just pick up my first lee enfield i was told it was a no4.mk1 here some of the pic i took any info be great on the marking as i do not know anything about them 
Andrew
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2021 at 5:01am
he!!o & good day...Welcome..

Is it I, or are the pictures out of focus & too dark?
Loose wimmen tightened here
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2021 at 5:13am
Welcome from Brandon, Manitoba, Canada!
SGonger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGonger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2021 at 5:20am
Originally posted by hoadie hoadie wrote:

he!!o & good day...Welcome..

Is it I, or are the pictures out of focus & too dark?
My photo’s are the same as you stated,kinda hard to decipher.👍
Anyone seen the Tardis Box anywhere? 🤨
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2021 at 6:14am
Although there are infinitely smarter people on this site in regards to identification, I'll give it ago. It does indeed appear to be a No4 Mk1. I think I see a date of '47 on the wrist band, which would indicate it had been factory inspected, refurbished after the war. It also has a full length barrel (bayonet lug) which is good. Does it have a full wood stock? I believe the markings on the muzzle end of the barrel indicate it was destined for export... to the more knowledgeable, let me know how I did on my assessment! Also, I noticed the rifle is cocked. You don't want to store it like that as it is hard on parts. With the safety off (lever forward) open the bolt. ENSURE RIFLE IS UNLOADED! With the trigger depressed, close the bolt. Rifle is now uncocked. There are other ways to uncock, but this way you can check the chamber.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2021 at 6:23am
I believe I see N47 on top 1943 below that and NB147** below that. Maltby serial number is what I see... 
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2021 at 6:44am
The stamp on the muzzle confirms it was exported to Century Arms International, Saint Albans, Vermont.
Andrew157 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2021 at 7:16am
it dose have the full wood stock also has the marking JC behind Triger guard on the wood stock and i did uncock it thanks for the tip there! 
Andrew
Andrew157 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2021 at 7:19am
its either a m47 or a n even though i am looking at it right now i more thank its a m but very hard to tell the one below is a NB147 and next one down is the same nb147
Andrew
Andrew157 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2021 at 7:20am
its very hard get the pictures to focus and still very hard to read them in person haha
Andrew
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2021 at 9:15am
these are the makers codes.

1-= Maltby
2- = Fazakerly
3-= BSA Shirley

OC1- Savage
OL1- Long Branch

Or:

All factories in the North were prefixed with a "N", those in the Midlands were prefixed by "M" and those in the South prefixed by "S"

M47A = Small Heath (Nr Birmingham)
M47B = 3 small assembly plants at Redditch, Hereford and Worcester
M47C = The main factory at Shirley (district in Birmingham)

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
SGonger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGonger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2021 at 9:48am
Originally posted by Andrew157 Andrew157 wrote:

it dose have the full wood stock also has the marking JC behind Triger guard on the wood stock and i did uncock it thanks for the tip there! 
Howdy believe (without seeing it) it’s a John Curtis & son’s furniture mark,there might (should be) be a (N22 code mark) next (or below) the JC.
Cheer’s.
Anyone seen the Tardis Box anywhere? 🤨
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2021 at 5:45pm
i was about to add what shamu beat me to , its important data save it , 

most small parts were made by different factories during the war , BSA was "dispersing" production throughout the country during the bombing , so the N#[north] , M3[middle] , S#[south]  , were codes for the various factories ,  gave a clue to where those factories were located ,again they were small parts like trigger guard , sights , barrel bands , so you may see a number of different codes on a single rifle depending on where those parts were made , these are not anything more than that but no less either , 

the wrist markings give the manufacturer for BSA and Maltby , maltby had a tendency to sloppy markings , that said the rifles are great , bear is our resident researcher of maltby , he is writing a book and i hope you get some great closeups for him , what shamu gave on serial numbers are awarded contracts that dictated the serial number ranges each were to produce in ,the other data that honky tonk and others refer to are the import marks required to get them into civilian hands after 'sold out of service' , its all important , 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic