Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help identifying

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stairgod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help identifying
    Posted: February 20 2021 at 3:07pm
I've had an old enfield rifle for about 35 years. It is a very good dependable rifle. I used to hunt boar with it. I need help with a more accurate identity than just British 303. It has SHTLE  I** stamped on it. I would like to get a new magazine for it, but don't know enough about the riffle to make sure I get one that is correct                       

SGonger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SGonger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2021 at 5:32am
Howdy a regular Mklll magazine will fit it.
Mklll SMLE case’s are are numbered (1 thru 4)
A No3 or No4 case will fit your’s.
Any chance of possibly posting photo’s of said rifle 👍.
Cheer’s.
Anyone seen the Tardis Box anywhere? 🤨
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2021 at 7:30am
What you have is a SHorT magazine Lee-Enfield. On the rifles it was abbreviated like yours is or later on SMLE. Is yours actually a Mk I** or is there a third * poorly struck at the end? It actually makes a big difference as to the ammunition it was sighted in for. If you could post some pictures that would be great. For a magazine, if look up one for a No 1 Mk III* Enfield you will find magazines that will work. They are available from many parts houses. Just make sure to get an original as the reproductions have issues. Keep in mind it may take tweaking to get the magazine to feed correctly in your rifle. The magazines were fitted to the rifle and then never intended to be removed or replaced.
stairgod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stairgod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2021 at 7:42am
Here's a picture of the stamp. I**, then IP. I believe the IP means it went to India. there's also a stamp with RTF above 1919.  I always thought that the 1919 was the year of manufacture, but someone said that the RTF is for return to factory and the year it was returned to be refurbished.

SGonger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SGonger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2021 at 7:48am
The Naval Order’s (LOC 14936) for the MK I SMLE to MK I** was given on 4th Jan 1908.For Naval Service.
Cheer’s 
stairgod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stairgod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2021 at 12:30pm
Thank you for the information

SGonger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SGonger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2021 at 12:34pm
The 1919 is the (C)onversion date RIF is the Ishpore abbreviation.
RIF=Royal Ishpore Factory.
(Loc 8858) 26/9/1916 to upgraded to Mklll specifications.
The additional (*) & IP where stamped at Ishapore.
Your rifle should be dated around pre 1910 with the ER Cypher.
Cheer’s.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2021 at 6:32pm
that looks to be a genuine mkI** , somehow it escaped the mkI*** changes , nice find 

edited to add we would love to see more overall photos and some closeups of the bolt head , rear sight , and handguards ....there are details of the mkI series that make it special , if i get time ill switch computers and add a couple photos [bear please feel free to copy any of my photos you want and use them] 
stairgod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stairgod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2021 at 7:00pm
It doesn't have front or rear sights.  That's why I had a scope mounted years ago when I was around 19.  Plus I had no funds to buy a hunting rifle. Now that I am in my 50's I wish I would have found the correct sights for it. I am out of town until Saturday and will be able to take more pictures then.

SGonger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGonger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2021 at 8:42am
Originally posted by stairgod stairgod wrote:

It doesn't have front or rear sights.  That's why I had a scope mounted years ago when I was around 19.  Plus I had no funds to buy a hunting rifle. Now that I am in my 50's I wish I would have found the correct sights for it. I am out of town until Saturday and will be able to take more pictures then.

Nice gun!! thinking the sight scope must make it hard to use the stripper clips.
👍🍻
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2021 at 12:00pm
The correct terminology would be Chargers or Charging Clips. 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2021 at 12:39pm
Oohh! Hoadie's a comin, load up the tranq gun & call matron.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
SGonger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGonger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2021 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by Shamu Shamu wrote:

Oohh! Hoadie's a comin, load up the tranq gun & call matron.
What did I do!!
ShockedWink👍
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2021 at 12:44pm
Oh it can get "pretty deep" round here"!
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2021 at 4:35pm
ya rang the terminology bell , 
SGonger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGonger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2021 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by A square 10 A square 10 wrote:

ya rang the terminology bell , 
Is that something like Force-Matching thing’s.🤷‍♂️🙈😂😉
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic