Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Jungle Carbine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyPiper907 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Jungle Carbine
    Posted: March 01 2021 at 11:47am
Howdy all! 

I just had a Jungle Carbine come in a few days ago that I’ve brought up in other posts. The rifle itself required a lot of cleaning and I suspect it hasn’t been completely apart since it came out of the factory. The rifle is currently sitting home now but I noticed when I was cleaning that the barrel seems to wiggle quite a bit. The draws aren’t damaged and the action screw is snug with the appropriate pillar.  I also noticed the previous owner place some sheeting beneath the forward clamp which I left in there. Is the “barrel play” normal in jungle carbines? 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2021 at 2:16pm
Absolutely.
The only contact should be about 1/3 of the circumference about an inch long at the breech end.
It should be "springy", not "floppy" though.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
FlyPiper907 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyPiper907 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2021 at 2:21pm
Thanks, shamu. Still a lot to learn, appreciate the help 🤙

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyPiper907 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2021 at 2:37pm
Shamu, 

If the barrel is “floppy” like you mentioned. Is there a fix for it? The wood is in good shape but I’m unsure if it’s been linseed treated in awhile. Just looking to bring her back into field shape for a brush gun, nothing too crazy - I know it’s unrealistic to expect too much from the older milsurps. I would, however, like to get it shootable. I plan on a range day when I get back. Thoughts? 
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2021 at 2:51pm
Honestly, before doing anything else I would give that wood a really good drink of linseed oil. They can shrink dramatically over time and the oil does help bring them back somewhat.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2021 at 8:05am
That would depend on why exactly it was floppy.
The Enfield action is secured to the wood with basically one big bolt, the one just in front of the magazine. Then the rear is held by the rear trigger guard screw.
Inside the main bolt there should be a "sleeve" hidden inside the wood, it function is to allow some limited crush to be applied to the wood securing everything.
If that the wrong size (they are individually fitted) or the wood in that area is damaged internally the clamping action is lost
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FlyPiper907 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2021 at 8:50am
Shamu, 

I assume that’s the pillar I keep hearing about. When I’m back home, I planned on taking it apart anyways for linseed treatments so I’ll open it up and take photos of my find. As I mentioned, I know the draws look good, still feels snug in the back. Is there a way to post videos in these chat forums?
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2021 at 2:04pm
AFAIK only by linking to something like U-tube, or Imjur & hosting on there.
This is a drawing of a No1 MkIII, but the bolt, washer, pillar & so on are the same on the No4 & No5 as is the correct assembly order. The collar is part #30 & the bolt is # 26. There is also a flat washer on the No4& No5.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyPiper907 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2021 at 2:15pm
Thanks, this is fantastic. Where is the washer supposed to go? In between the action screw and forestock?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyPiper907 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2021 at 2:21pm
Also, how do I knowing the bushing needs replacement and could I use No4 parts if necessary?
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2021 at 7:49am
The washer goes under the floorplate & bears on the pillar.
They're all custom fitted, the idea is they're just a hair shorter than the stock thickness so some limited crush is applied. You'd have to measure the stock thickness at the hole & make a pillar just a scoche shorter.
Yes you could use a No4 one they're identical.
Its a bit more complex than "just whacking 5 thou off" though.
The relevant instructions are on page 3-2-30 & involve making a jig & adjusting it then using the jig to shorten the bushing.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic