Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > 7.62 Enfield
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

7.62 Enfield magazines

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pendiner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 7.62 Enfield magazines
    Posted: March 03 2021 at 6:39am
I have a 7.62 NATO Enfield No4 rifle that has been converted from 303. It has a heavy target barrel and shortened woodwork similar to the L42 sniping rifle. It is fitted with a 7.62 Enfield produced magazine which works reasonably well. I have been looking for another magazine for some time and the only one that I have come across is a Sterling produced magazine. What sort of price should a Sterling magazine cost me - it’s advertised for £80 - is this the going rate for one of these magazines ?Are these magazines realisable  - I’ve read that they came as a modification kit, including a mod to the receiver. Will these magazines function ok without the receiver modification ?
Sinnlover View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sinnlover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2021 at 1:22am
Hi Yes the 7.62 mags are quite pricey 
One thing to be wary of is extraction, the Sterling mags do not have the extra lip to help with extraction, and the receiver modification to accommodate these. Using a Sterling mag in a rifle without the extractor screw may lead to issues cycling as you cant get the spend cases out of the action reliably.  
It sounds as if you have an Envoy or Enforcer (or is it an actual conversion) these rifles work better with Enfield mags in my experience. 
The Sterling Conversion No4 Mk2 works best with Sterling mags. 
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2021 at 7:54am
The Sterling Magazine will feed the rounds reliably but ejection,not so much.  Prices for those have shot up tremendously.  Average market value seems to be $250.00 USD.
The L42A1 magazines have been known to fetch even higher prices.  There is a Gun Broker in Surrey that sells them for $575.00 £ and an eBay seller has them for sale at the sum of $750.00 USD.
I have two of the L42 magazines. After studying them for a bit, I went and modified a magazine for the 2A1 Ishapore by spot welding an ejector tab on it identical to the L42 magazines. Works flawlessly in my No4 converted to 7.62x51mm and it only cost me $45.00 USD for the magazine...
Sinnlover View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sinnlover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2021 at 5:36am
Before lock down i saw an ishapore 20 round mag for sale, price was over £200!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2021 at 8:28am
The "Trench magazines" are rare as hens teeth & so massively expensive.
If it was Brit one it would be in the thousands!
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic